Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way to wirelessly update app?

Techgirl-52Techgirl-52 Posts: 25Registered Users
edited October 2012 in iOS SDK Development
Hi all,
is there a way to wireless update an app without the user having to redownload it?
Hypothetically speaking as an example, if I made a change in an app (remove of button, or image),
can it be pushed to the iOS' device without having to be re downloaded.

My teacher suggested making it a mobile website, they add it to their home page, then it'll automatically update
as long as they have wifi in the area so they don't have to re download it. This assumption is false, considering
I was testing this theory, and they have to re-add it to the home page manually for the changes to take effect.
This also defeats my app's purpose; a countdown timer. If they do not have wifi, the countdown will not work.
This is for the users who don't own data packages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) This is a gift to the ministry, and I'm stuck. I'm hoping to get
the layout done by late November at most.

Replies

• DomeleDomele Posts: 2,991Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    You can't update apps like that without an update submitted to Apple.
    If you are looking for a quality developer, I'm your man. Give me a PM if you are interested.<br />
    <br />
    New app - See screenshots and details at <a href="http://www.globaclock.com"; target="_blank">www.globaclock.com</a>.<br />
    <br />
    If you want to
  • mashercakesmashercakes Posts: 789Registered Users @ @ @
    In theory you could have your UI defined in file (in, say, XML format). The file would be parsed and the UI built dynamically depending upon its content. Updating the UI would then involve downloading a new XML file.

I'm not sure whether Apple would allow this though.
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/app/talkboard/id416436888?mt=8"; target="_blank">TalkBoard</a> - a communication aid and visual support app for children and adults with autism, communication difficulties or learning difficulties. Available now for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
  • Techgirl-52Techgirl-52 Posts: 25Registered Users
    I apologize for not coming on here sooner,
    my family had an emergency after I posted my question and I just completely forgot.

Getting back onto topic; This mobile website/app is not necessarily for the Apple Store.
    The users would go onto the site... "bookmark" it... and access it on the iOS homepage when they click the icon.

He said using a "cache" to store everything and have it automatically refresh any updates from the cache.
    Does anyone know any good tutorials to set up a cache?
    Well that sounds like a web app. You shouldn't need to do anything special to update it. Just change the content of the web site and it will change when the user opens it. The icon on the home page is basically a link to the web page.
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/app/talkboard/id416436888?mt=8"; target="_blank">TalkBoard</a> - a communication aid and visual support app for children and adults with autism, communication difficulties or learning difficulties. Available now for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
  • the_stigthe_stig Posts: 41Registered Users @
    If we are talking web apps, wirelessly updating them isn't difficult, in fact there is a document on developer.apple.com which talks about manifest files and caching and updating content. To start you off, below are a couple of useful html tags.

Here is the link to the Apple developer page: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002051-CH1-SW1

<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />

<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" content="black" /> <!--status bar style-->
        <meta name="viewport" content = "width = device-width, initial-scale = 1, user-scalable = yes" /> <!--whether the user can zoom, also sets the size suitable for iPhone -->
        <link rel="apple-touch-startup-image" href="images/splash.png" /> <!--if you want a splash screen, set its location with this-->
        <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="images/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png"/><!-- sets a custom icon for when they add it to their home screen, pretty sure you need to use the 114x144 extension, possibly even 57x57 as well. -->

Incidentally, I hate it when web sites decide that I'm not allowed to zoom on my iOS device.