Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AppsGoneFree Feedback

Hey, we placed our game 'Directional - Gem Matching Game' free via @AppsGoneFreeApps on @AppAdvice last Friday and wanted to share the results.

We had around 5500 Downloads day one, 2500 day two and waiting for day three, but suspect it will be around 1000.

Here you can see the ranks we managed to gather.

As you can see we hit a few of the top 25s, unfortunately fell short of any of the major top 25s, but came close in a number of regions, especially Portugal. I would say 70% of the downloads (5000+) were from the US and didn't impact on their charts in anyway.

Tyler at @AppsGoneFreeApp was really great to contact, nice guy and put our game pretty high up the listing.

It was nice to see our game actually get played! My only issue now is if I end the free period, I will loose the ranking, for what i've invested in it, I think having users is more important than paid downloads

Downside: I have had about 2 reviews, one positive and one negative from the 9000 downloads, so don't expect any feedback, but you do get lots of blog mentions, and we seemed to get lots of interest from Taiwan and China.

The negative review was based on not being able to open the app, which I find a little harsh when i've tracked around 15,000 game sessions via Flurry Statistics over the weekend. One 1 star review really screws you. I wish people would review more, especially free app promotions.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/11/todays-apps-gone-free-to-do-checklist-3-little-piggies-directional-and-more

I also ran a promotion with ispreadnews.com which I found them to be excellent, and managed some minor chart success in Germany, but other than that i've not had much results from them. But i would use them again, quick, cheap and professional. I perhaps would just make my messages a little shorter.

Thanks for reading.
Mike
mike@codename.co
Download our 'Directional Gem Matching Game' for FREE
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/directional/id510756802?mt=8
·

Replies

• raymngraymng Posts: 1,895Registered Users @ @ @ @
    The download number is not so high, some members here got over 1000 downloads per day even they don't advertise.
    ·
  • codenamecocodenameco Posts: 26New Users @
    This wasn't an advertisement, well I didn't pay for it. I approached AppGratis but they wanted €15,000 - which they said would net me around 150,000 downloads. So for free, i'm happy with 9000.
    ·
  • raymngraymng Posts: 1,895Registered Users @ @ @ @
    Oh, I thought appgonefree is paid service.. did you contact them to get your app listed?
    Thanks.
    ·
  • gps710gps710 Posts: 11New Users
    Out of curiosity, how does that download to review conversion compare to what you usually see. In my experience one review per 500 reviews is already on the low end, let alone 1/4.5k. Are you using an analytics engine so you might now any other info on user engagement. Seems like maybe the promotion drove mostly low quality downloads.
    (#Q7BB9C3Q)
    ·
    Yeah if you download their free app there is a 'i' info button and you can view details of how to put forward your app.

Yes, out of everything thats the most shocking thing, the amount of downloads vs reviews is shocking, I think you get better review rates with paid downloads but I would of thought I would have lots more.

The US market was about 5,000 downloads in which I had about 2 ratings and 1 review, the review was a one star negative one and caused the only crash i've ever seen, which is just my luck. Meaning he either has a really old phone or just found a rare bug.

Yeah I have flurry, I think over the weekend I had something like 17,000 game sessions, maybe 23,000 I can't remember without logging in.

Good - but Bad, raised our profile a tiny big at least.
    ·
  • gps710gps710 Posts: 11New Users
    How does the 17k/23k number compare to where you are usually at. Also did you see a significant delta on average session length?
    (#Q7BB9C3Q)
    ·
    Well the truth is, before then no-one was playing it - it drowned in other similar games that have the benefit of PR.
    ·
  • ShelShockShelShock Posts: 128Registered Users @ @
    Getting reviews is critical to achieving organic conversion when you run a major acquisition campaign. It really helps users decide to download your app v.s the competition when it is starting to get any chart traction.
    Services and Apps I Recommend

Reviews and Ratings are critical to the success of your app. They significantly contribute to your ASO and organic growth.

Gnome Escape is the best way to generate reviews, ratings, iTunes buzz and feedback for your app.
    ·