Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Do You Make Videos of Your Games?

Paul SlocumPaul Slocum Posts: 414Registered Users @ @
edited June 2012 in iOS SDK Game Development
I need a video of my iPad 3 app which has full-motion full-screen OpenGL graphics that will not compress well, and I need a very high sustained framerate at full-res. How do you guys do it? I can't jailbreak or spend $500+ on a VGA/HDMI recorder.

Right now I'm thinking of screen-recording the simulator or hiring a videographer to just shoot it. But I don't think the screen-recording will allow me to record at full iPad retina resolution since you have to be able to get all of it on your screen to record it....
Post edited by Paul Slocum on

Replies

• SogiSogi Posts: 2New Users
    edited April 2012
    As far as I know, you have two options:

First, use the Apple Digital Adapter, so you have a HDMI signal.

Second, put the HDMI sinal into a HDMI converter and connect the converter to your mac or pc.

From there you can capture with Premier, Quicktime, Screenflow.

Easier solution:

Other solution is VGA mirroring. You connect a VGA adapter to the iPad. The VGA adapter you connect a Epiphan VGA2USB LR adapter. This allows you to show a screen capture on you PC or Mac. This you can capture with Screenflow or Camtasia.

I f you als need the sound, connect the audio to a 2 channel break out box. For example Line 6 UX2. So on one channel you capture the sound and on the other channel you can record with a microphone your voice.

Tipps:
    Make shure the iPad is fully charged
    Brightness 1/2
    Turn off notifications
    Turn off calls on phone
  • Paul SlocumPaul Slocum Posts: 414Registered Users @ @
    edited April 2012
    That's essentially what I was planning on doing at this point. I've been looking at this device: the Blackmagic H.264 Pro Recorder.

Although I have actually bought an Epiphan VGA->USB before and I found the framerate to be mediocre when the video does not compress well (full-motion full-screen video like games). I was using it for a bit different project, but I ended up returning that time.
    edited April 2012
  • SogiSogi Posts: 2New Users
    edited April 2012
    Regarding Apps Trailers I received a email from a company that offers this kind of service. It's about 500 USD.

I have no experince with them.

Thats the YouTube channel: myapptrailers - YouTube
    edited April 2012
    I also found this place that does it too, and they wanted $425. It seems much more economical to just buy a capture device, and I got approved the budget to buy one, so I'll report back when I get it and have a chance to try it out. I think I'm going to get the Blackmagic one.
  • ryanlawrence171ryanlawrence171 Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    To make a game video for promotion… go to fraps.com
    <a href="http://www.hbiphonelabs.com/">iPhone Application Development | Apps Developers India</a>
  • Tomtheman2Tomtheman2 Posts: 149Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I use the screen recorder built into Quicktime on the Mac.

You can specify which part of the screen you want to record and where to save it too. It's very high quality also.

I also use 'Phone finger' so the user can see where I am clicking.

This is filming from simulator by the way.

Hope this helps you out :)
    <b><font face="Verdana">Buy our apps for only $10!<a href="http://codecanyon.net/user/Graphic-Spark/portfolio?ref=graphic-spark"; target="_blank"> Click Here</a></font></b><font face="Verdana">
    edited April 2012
    Tomtheman2 wrote: »
    I use the screen recorder built into Quicktime on the Mac.

My only problem with screen recording is that I can't get the resolution I'd like. I'll give it a shot though and just see what I get. It's free. :) I got someone to pay for me to get a Blackmagic H264, so I'll report how it works.
    edited April 2012
    To make a game video for promotion… go to fraps.com

Fraps only for Windows and only works with PC games.
  • patterwarepatterware Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I had the same issue, wanted hi res full framerate video of my cocos2d based game.

I ended up modifying my app to support video capture. If you can make your app deterministic, then it is simply a matter of recording the user inputs on one run, and playing back those inputs on another run while dumping each frame to disk as a png. You can then use VirtualDub or QuickTime Pro to assemble the image set you have into video.

I go into this a bit more in depth in this entry on my blog.

All in all it was a couple of days work, but should be reusable in future projects.
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/balls-abound/id501616790?ls=1&mt=8"; target="_blank">Balls Abound - Free<br />
    2HugE.png</a>
    edited April 2012
    patterware wrote: »
    I ended up modifying my app to support video capture.

That's a really good idea!
  • mistergreen2011mistergreen2011 Posts: 196Registered Users @ @
    edited April 2012
    My only problem with screen recording is that I can't get the resolution I'd like. I'll give it a shot though and just see what I get. It's free. :) I got someone to pay for me to get a Blackmagic H264, so I'll report how it works.

What kind of resolution are you looking for? think of your target audience. You resolution is there.
    edited April 2012
    What kind of resolution are you looking for? think of your target audience. You resolution is there.

It's a weird application -- I am making this video specifically for a screen in Korea on the side of a building that is 14 stories high! :D One of my apps was selected for a video art exhibition on the screen. Weird right? So I want to get as close to 1080p as possible so that it looks crisp.
  • mistergreen2011mistergreen2011 Posts: 196Registered Users @ @
    edited April 2012
    ah, run your game on the ipad simulator to get the biggest dimension then do a screen capture. Not sure if capturing it through video is going to help you that much if any.

Those projections don't need that much resolution. You're not standing 3 feet away from the projection like you do with a monitor.
    edited April 2012
    I've ended up having the best luck just shooting a movie my iPad 3 screen with iPhone 4 camera!! In my case, the most critical thing is framerate, and none of the other solutions could keep a totally consistent framerate. It's so easy to set up to record with the iPhone on the edge of a table with the camera hanging over the edge, and then you put the iPad on a lower table below it, using books to get it to whatever height you need.

I tried screen recording with Quicktime, but the framerate was pretty bad. It works great for non-games, but it wasn't good enough for this situation.

I also tried the Blackmagic H264 HDMI recorder with the iPad HDMI adapter, and it works pretty well, but the framerate still wasn't quite good enough for my app. I tried recording cable television in HD with it, and the framerate seemed perfect, so it may have something to do with the random crazy nature of the graphics in my app freaking out the compressor. I used it to record another of my apps using mirroring and it worked really well. A nice thing about using a device like this is that you can record a video of an iOS device's camera being used. You'll never be able to do that with the simulator. One problem with it though is that if you're using mirroring, you can only record the iPad HDMI out at 1080p -- you can't record it at 720p to get a better framerate because there's no way to select the resolution of the mirroring video output. It's locked at 1080p. Maybe future iOS updates will have a setting for the output resolution.

I also looking into adding video recording or frame capture to my app. It didn't look too hard to implement, but shooting video of the screen is a lot easier and faster.
    edited May 2012
    I am using "screen recorder" but you should jail break your iPhone to use it.
    <a href="http://www.hbiphonelabs.com/">iPhone Application Development | Apps Developers India</a>
  • allandonald946allandonald946 Posts: 1New Users
    edited May 2012
    .quality videos of them playing their video games. Not only that, but...and nothing else. How can I do this?
  • sylvainwwsylvainww Posts: 158Registered Users @ @
    edited June 2012
    Seems that I'm jumping into the discussion a little late, but the information might still be of interest.

You guys mentioned the BlackMagic HDMI recorder, but you might also want to take a look at the Reflection App (currently available for Mac, beta version for Windows).

I've done a wrap-up of all the ways (I know) to record an iOS device if you're interested you can find out more in the following blog post I wrote on iPhone and iPad screencast.
    If you have things to add, don't hesitate to do so in the comments or here!
    <a href="http://www.apptamin.com/blog/"; target="_blank"><b>The Apptamin App Marketing Blog</b> - app promotion techniques</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.apptamin.com/"; target="_blank"><b>Cool app promo videos and trailers.</a>
    edited June 2012
    I am using “SnapzPro*” to make video of game in iPhone.
  • ethansamuel17ethansamuel17 Posts: 41New Users
    I use "screen recorder" in my iPad. But some time it's not work properly, so I try "SnapzPro". It's very easy to create video of games.
    Ethan Samuel
  • sylvainwwsylvainww Posts: 158Registered Users @ @
    Since the subject came back. To create great-quality videos of games (1080p) we now use El Gato Game Capture HD (www.gamecapture.com). Works like a charm, but does cost about $180.
    <a href="http://www.apptamin.com/blog/"; target="_blank"><b>The Apptamin App Marketing Blog</b> - app promotion techniques</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.apptamin.com/"; target="_blank"><b>Cool app promo videos and trailers.</a>
  • spencerharry80spencerharry80 Posts: 9New Users
    Great alternatives to paid or expensive and complex software

- Records and renders your video at 1280 x 720 HD, optimized for sharp display on YouTube.
    - Easy to use
    - Has video editing tools
    - Virus-free
    Use Screen recording application, it will help you to make video of game which you are playing in your iPhone...
  • marrywebstermarrywebster Posts: 4New Users
    We have a designer who works specifically on videos in our team, but if you need to do it yourself, without designers help Camstduio can be very helpful in making video and is not that hard to use
    <a href=http://dart117.com>Dart117 Design Studio</a>