Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it better to make alot of simpler games or make games with medium to high complexity?

One of my games is a simple game , one tap controls that sold 12-20 copies. My next 2 games were platformers one a hack and slasher , the other is a multipowered superhero type game that each sold 45-55 a piece. But I noticied some developers in different places say making alot of simpler games will generate more money in the long run. I was thinking about making a game that is larger in scope than my 1st 2 games but Iam scared to make a 50-100 level game and then I cant sell , that would crush me . What are your thoughts?
Atomic 2DPlatformer the best iphone platformer to date https://t.co/zN3QG9Iz

Replies

• TasnimTasnim Posts: 37New Users
    if u want to analyze the market.dont risk with a 50-100 level game.try with simple game.find out all the facts of simple games u made what can be done now to increase the sell.when you will know your market ,who your user is,what drives than.then u can try with a 50-100 level game.

otherwise u may be fall in great depression.

by the way sometimes avoid others advice.cause your gut have to tell you something
  • maccyfinmaccyfin Posts: 315Registered Users @ @
    Do simple games in my opinion. we do a lot which take about 1 week to do each, simple but fun game play. Most of them dont make big money but a couple of them do which allows us to understand what game mechanics work well. I know a few companies that started with large games taking a few months with a team of 4, costs were high and they no longer operate. We also did a game which took 7 months but it doesn't make as much as the which took me 2 weeks to develop.

Also focus on the game name, as a smaller developer it's important that more people find the game in the market and having a name which contains relevant key words really helps.

I did a video on our game called Killer Shooting Sniper X and why it has been the most successful so far. Here's the link:

hope it's useful :)
    Martin
    fyzb83.png2vjtll1.png6jdrhk.png

• PixelPowerPixelPower Posts: 64New Users @
    Thanks the video and post were very good and informative. It was very insightful and in the future I will probably make my own video of things that did and didnt work.
  • scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
    Agreed with @maccyfin. If you look at our games we have taken an engine/clone approach.
    We write a new engine in a very clean and modular way and then we clone it, changing the graphics, audio, sound fx, ambience etc. We also tend to update the engine on the clone and then retrospectively apply the update to the other clones.

Each engine/clone has a number of requirements:

- must be a popular genre
    - good graphics / audio
    - ad supported
    - IAP to remove ads
    - Game Centre
    - Facebook Connect
    - drive users to our other games through cross promotion

This allows us to create on average about 4-5 apps a month. We are aiming to improve that to about 6-10 apps a month.
    After initial spike, each app generates about $2-3 a day from ad revenue. IAP revenue is almost zero. However, some of our apps are seasonal and therefore the ad revenue will drop of.

Lookout for our next engine after christmas.
  • PixelPowerPixelPower Posts: 64New Users @
    Iam reading the advice here and its slowly soaking in. See my main influences are super nes and platformers games in general. Those games are not super complex nor are they simple. As far as programming them its takes time because of making level structure and graphics which Iam an one man team myself. I have already started another platformer , which all my platformers have a completely different feel for them and all take time to produce.
    I made simple games in the past but ended up pulling them because I felt like they would hurt my reputation more then help , but it seems like it doesnt matter anymore. My graphics cant compete with higher end games, so I think after the next 2 projects I have lined up I will go with the making of a ton of simpler games and apps.
  • maccyfinmaccyfin Posts: 315Registered Users @ @
    @PixelPower- glad you liked the video :) More coming soon.

@scottwb- yeah, I totally agree with this approach, especially as a smaller developer. we do the same thing pretty much, ie include ads, in app purchases, facebook etc. And each project structure is just copied and adjusted from the last. On average our games will make the same each day, sometimes less if the games isn't sticky enough. But the goal is to have 50 games in the market. With this we'll be making steady revenue which will compound as new games are completed, then we'll move on to more ambitious games. We also have games on the amazon app store which are doing quite well with in app purchases too. Great to hear from someone who has the same business model, thought I was alone on this one, lol.

Martin
    fyzb83.png2vjtll1.png6jdrhk.png

• raymngraymng Posts: 2,049Registered Users @ @ @ @
    maccyfin said:

@PixelPower- glad you liked the video :) More coming soon.

@scottwb- yeah, I totally agree with this approach, especially as a smaller developer. we do the same thing pretty much, ie include ads, in app purchases, facebook etc. And each project structure is just copied and adjusted from the last. On average our games will make the same each day, sometimes less if the games isn't sticky enough. But the goal is to have 50 games in the market. With this we'll be making steady revenue which will compound as new games are completed, then we'll move on to more ambitious games. We also have games on the amazon app store which are doing quite well with in app purchases too. Great to hear from someone who has the same business model, thought I was alone on this one, lol.

Martin

Are you going to rely on IAP only? I just think Ads would be a more steady income, doesn't it?
    @raymng, not sure who the comment was for? All of our apps now use ads + IAP. Ad revenue exceeds IAP revenue by about 150:1.
    scottwb said:

@raymng, not sure who the comment was for? All of our apps now use ads + IAP. Ad revenue exceeds IAP revenue by about 150:1.

150:1... What are your IAPs?
    Also would you mind to share your tactic for placing the ads?

Thanks.
    raymng said:

scottwb said:

Thanks.
    The IAPs are either 'Remove Ads' or the IAP in Cannibal Cookout and NeoDefender. Ad revenue is much more than anything we get from IAP.

E.g. yesterday; IAP revenue: $8, Ad revenue $130

We use Chartboost for the ads and place them:

- start of game
    - at the end of every 5 levels
    - whenever you go back to the main menu

We try not to have too many so we don't annoy the users.
  • YoshkowYoshkow Victoria, B.C., CanadaPosts: 164Registered Users @ @
    scottwb said:

- start of game

Interstitials will always outperform banners. Awesome placement choice!
    Try [url="http://in.tapfortap.com/j"Tap for Tap[/url] - the cross-promotion exchange and monetization platform for mobile app developers.
    scottwb said:

raymng said:

scottwb said:

Thanks.
    The IAPs are either 'Remove Ads' or the IAP in Cannibal Cookout and NeoDefender. Ad revenue is much more than anything we get from IAP.

E.g. yesterday; IAP revenue: $8, Ad revenue $130

We use Chartboost for the ads and place them:

- start of game

How many downloads per day would create that ad revenue??
    Thanks.
    raymng said:

Thanks.

About 2,500, but ... it's not about the downloads ... its about the number of users who are using your app the day after etc etc

E.g. Xmas Match for Dec 24th:

Downloads: 132
    Bootups: 1,438
    Unique users: 518
    Impressions: 1,479
    eCPM: $7.96
    Revenue: $11.77

These numbers will drop off after day 2, day 3 for each user and eventually altogether once Christmas is over. However, say that, I've still got users playing our Halloween games every day.

Another interesting point about ads vs App Store sales. You wont get sales from Jailbroken phones or from countries in the world where credit card use is low e.g. China - but you will still deliver ads and earn ad revenue.

scottwb said:

raymng said:

Thanks.

About 2,500, but ... it's not about the downloads ... its about the number of users who are using your app the day after etc etc

E.g. Xmas Match for Dec 24th:

Downloads: 132
    Bootups: 1,438
    Unique users: 518
    Impressions: 1,479
    eCPM: $7.96
    Revenue: $11.77

These numbers will drop off after day 2, day 3 for each user and eventually altogether once Christmas is over. However, say that, I've still got users playing our Halloween games every day.

Another interesting point about ads vs App Store sales. You wont get sales from Jailbroken phones or from countries in the world where credit card use is low e.g. China - but you will still deliver ads and earn ad revenue.

If my game constantly get 3-400 downloads per day, does it mean the impressions number would get higher and higher?? Since the number of users should be accumulated day by day.
    raymng said:

If my game constantly get 3-400 downloads per day, does it mean the impressions number would get higher and higher?? Since the number of users should be accumulated day by day.

That's correct if you are retaining users. You wont retain every user, but if you can hold on to some from the day before and maintain a consistent download rate then the impressions will start to increase.

• ShelShockShelShock Posts: 128Registered Users @ @
    You can use services like Flurry Analytics, etc., to track your MAU's and DAU's to see where drop off occurs and use that data to improve the performance if your app. I couldn't imagine not having these kind of Analytics in an ad driven model.
    Services and Apps I Recommend

Reviews and Ratings are critical to the success of your app. They significantly contribute to your ASO and organic growth.

Gnome Escape is the best way to generate reviews, ratings, iTunes buzz and feedback for your app.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 614Registered Users @ @ @

What are your thoughts?

Make a simple game with medium to high complexity. That's my advice.
    ShelShock said:

You can use services like Flurry Analytics, etc., to track your MAU's and DAU's to see where drop off occurs and use that data to improve the performance if your app. I couldn't imagine not having these kind of Analytics in an ad driven model.

What are MAU and DAU??
    Thanks!!

scottwb said:

raymng said:

That's correct if you are retaining users. You wont retain every user, but if you can hold on to some from the day before and maintain a consistent download rate then the impressions will start to increase.

If impression can keep rising, does it mean revenue would keep rising too?
    raymng said:

If impression can keep rising, does it mean revenue would keep rising too?

Generally yes, more impressions = more clicks = more installs = more revenue

• ShelShockShelShock Posts: 128Registered Users @ @
    @raymng. MAU = monthly active users DAU = daily active users. These methods of measurement are considered among the social games and venture capital community to be the most effective ways to analyze your base. Daily actives gives you a more accurate way to view the # of your users who engage with your all regularly and monthly actives gives you a month to month view on attrition. (If a user hasn't come back in over one month, they won't likely boot your app up again)
    Services and Apps I Recommend

Reviews and Ratings are critical to the success of your app. They significantly contribute to your ASO and organic growth.

Gnome Escape is the best way to generate reviews, ratings, iTunes buzz and feedback for your app.