Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to Monetize my App Traffic!

Hello everyone,

my app is currently 3 days on the market and is making 1.5k+ downloads a day.

Its a Free prank app - Accent Detector , please check it out give me any suggestions of what you think would be the
best way to make money with it.

Now the app has no ads and I am trying to stay away from putting ads in the app. I personally am annoyed by apps with ads and
I don't want my users to experience the same.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Replies

• jrustonappsjrustonapps Posts: 96New Users @
    There's 3 methods of monetization that people tend to go with:

1) Paid apps
    2) Free apps with ads
    3) In app purchases

Maybe you could try the 3rd method? Add extra functionality which is only accessible after the purchase of in-app purchases. If you're certain you don't want to put ads in the app this is the next best option in my opinion.
  • AppPiggyAppPiggy Posts: 25New Users
    edited January 2013
    How much do you think I could make from ads only if traffic stays the same? I know it will be an approximate guess but it will still help me in my decision.

Thanks

There's 3 methods of monetization that people tend to go with:

1) Paid apps
    2) Free apps with ads
    3) In app purchases

Maybe you could try the 3rd method? Add extra functionality which is only accessible after the purchase of in-app purchases. If you're certain you don't want to put ads in the app this is the next best option in my opinion.

• scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
    I think I posted that we make $0.05 per download. So, all things being the same, you could make $75 per day with Chartboost.
  • supergsuperg Posts: 60Registered Users @
    scottwb said:

I think I posted that we make $0.05 per download. So, all things being the same, you could make $75 per day with Chartboost.

Technically his app is not a game, so Chartboost won't probably accept it.

• Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 420Registered Users @ @
    superg said:

scottwb said:

Technically his app is not a game, so Chartboost won't probably accept it.
    Are you sure?

I don't have any games, can I still use Chartboost?

Yes! If you are a developer who makes awesome apps but they are not games, you can still use Chartboost.

You can use Chartboost for internal cross promotion for your portfolio of apps, or setting up Direct Deals with partners you already know.

However, as a non-game, you cannot advertise in our network or view the Direct Deals Marketplace.

https://chartboost.tenderapp.com/kb/general/i-dont-have-any-games-can-i-still-use-chartboost

• YoshkowYoshkow Victoria, B.C., CanadaPosts: 164Registered Users @ @
    AppPiggy said:

....Now the app has no ads and I am trying to stay away from putting ads in the app. I personally am annoyed by apps with ads and
    I don't want my users to experience the same....

Of course, not all ads are created equal. Remember that an app wall (with a "more apps" button in your menu) will be less annoying than an interstitial, which will be less annoying than banner ads. The app wall only happens when the user wants it to happen. The interstitial is less frequent than the banners, but comes up automatically between rounds or something. The banners run at the top or bottom of the views you choose. It's likely that your personal annoyance was caused, in part, by poor promotion placement.
    Try [url="http://in.tapfortap.com/j"Tap for Tap[/url] - the cross-promotion exchange and monetization platform for mobile app developers.
    Thanks guys,

What ad service are you currently using? Any feedbacks Adwhirl?

• supergsuperg Posts: 60Registered Users @

Are you sure?

I don't have any games, can I still use Chartboost?

Yes! If you are a developer who makes awesome apps but they are not games, you can still use Chartboost.

You can use Chartboost for internal cross promotion for your portfolio of apps, or setting up Direct Deals with partners you already know.

However, as a non-game, you cannot advertise in our network or view the Direct Deals Marketplace.

https://chartboost.tenderapp.com/kb/general/i-dont-have-any-games-can-i-still-use-chartboost

Original poster asked about traffic monetization, for that cross-promotion of his own apps is not very efficient.
  • NSString255NSString255 Posts: 84New Users @
    did you try tapjoy or tapfortap?

No I haven't, I will use AdWhirl and link my AdMob, iAd and Adsense accounts to it. Will post back when I have some real data to share.

Let me know if there are some other ad networks you have used and recommend. Thanks
  • ComboAppComboApp Chicago, ILPosts: 333New Users @ @
    It seems that you have chosen to try in-app advertising :)

Personally I think that in-app purchases would work well in this case.
    ComboApp Marketing & PR Agency<br />
    <a href="http://marketing.comboapp.com"; target="_blank">iPhone App Marketing</a>
  • Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 420Registered Users @ @
    Does the IAP model work for novelty apps? What would people buy?!
  • ComboAppComboApp Chicago, ILPosts: 333New Users @ @

Does the IAP model work for novelty apps? What would people buy?!

In this case users might buy ability to review more accents

ComboApp Marketing & PR Agency<br />
    <a href="http://marketing.comboapp.com"; target="_blank">iPhone App Marketing</a>
  • fedellanofedellano Posts: 2New Users
    Hi AppPiggy,

This is the basic math you have to do to estimate revenue from Ads:

1- Advertisers pay a USD 0,10 CPCs on average to the adnetworks.
    2- Adnetworks will share 60% of that CPC.
    3- CTR rates on in-app banners are about 1,5%.

So... (Daily Users * 1,5% CTR * USD 0,06 CPC) = Daily Revenue from Ads.

I personally do not like the idea that Ads are the solution for everything... I mean if you are adding real value to your users, you should find a way to monetize them.

This is an IAP monetization idea...
    From what I've seen from your app, you let the users type the answers of the accent test.

1- Change the flow so that users can't choose the results of the tests, the results are random preloaded answers.
    2- Create a list of default possible answers, like "Korean Accent", "Italian", "French", etc...
    3- Create an IAP package of more fun possible results like "Pirate Accent", "Parrot Accent", "Obama Accent", whatever... for a dollar.

If you have any doubts send me a PM!
    <b>Fred Martin</b>
    <b>User Acquisition and App Monetization Consultant</b>
    <a href="http://apprankoptimization.com"; target="_blank">AppRankOptimization.com</a>