Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone used MOAI?

scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
Thinking about trying MOAI - I like the appeal of coding in LUA and then packaging for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows.

http://getmoai.com

Anyone used it?

Replies

• JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
    Not really, I don't really care for their price structure. Have you seen Corona?
  • scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
    JonPM said:

Not really, I don't really care for their price structure. Have you seen Corona?

The SDK is free unless you need to use their cloud. I looked at a report that built a game using all the SDK and MOAI came out on top, with Corona second.
  • JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
    scottwb said:

JonPM said:

The SDK is free unless you need to use their cloud. I looked at a report that built a game using all the SDK and MOAI came out on top, with Corona second.
    "Free" with attribution. Meaning you have to place a "Made With MOAI" splash screen in your app.

JonPM said:

"Free" with attribution. Meaning you have to place a "Made With MOAI" splash screen in your app.

That's okay, we're currently using Torque and we have to do the same with them.

• alicia45alicia45 Posts: 1New Users
    SDK is best instead of this. Go for it.
    We are using MOAI with Hanappe and our own custom libraries. In less than two weeks we have almost converted our first game. The SDK and Hanappe are excellent and allow for rapid development with fast deploy and testing. So far we are very impressed.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,116Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    scottwb said:

We are using MOAI with Hanappe and our own custom libraries. In less than two weeks we have almost converted our first game. The SDK and Hanappe are excellent and allow for rapid development with fast deploy and testing. So far we are very impressed.

I studied LUA a little over a year ago and poked around with it some. I'm spoiled by having a symbolic debugger, however, and can't stand having to go back to stone-age development where I have to add print statements and debug in the dark. Are there source-level debuggers for LUI on the Mac?
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
    Duncan C said:

I studied LUA a little over a year ago and poked around with it some. I'm spoiled by having a symbolic debugger, however, and can't stand having to go back to stone-age development where I have to add print statements and debug in the dark. Are there source-level debuggers for LUI on the Mac?

Yep, we are using eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/ on the Mac. So far lua and MOAI/Hanappe have been totally painless and we've pretty much finished the first port in under two weeks. We're just getting to grips with the multitude of Android devices now and trying get something which works well in most cases.