Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My computer doesn't have libz.dylib ?!

CarpetfizzCarpetfizz Posts: 24New Users @
Hello,
I'm using a framework that requires the libz.dylib file. However, when I go to the "Link Libraries..." section of my project in Xcode, I do not have that file. There's other versions of it such as libz.1.2.5.dylib,etc., but I need the normal one. I'm running Xcode 4.6.
Carpetfizz

Replies

• khunterkhunter Posts: 44New Users @
    There isn't really a "normal one." All such libraries are versioned, however there usually is an "unversioned" dynamic link to the latest one.

Here's a partial list of the contents of
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS6.1.sdk/usr/lib
    on my machine:

$ ls -l libz*
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 kevin  admin      16 Jun  9 13:57 libz.1.1.3.dylib -> libz.1.2.5.dylib
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 kevin  admin  140576 Jun  9 13:57 libz.1.2.5.dylib
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 kevin  admin      16 Jun  9 13:57 libz.1.dylib -> libz.1.2.5.dylib
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 kevin  admin      16 Jun  9 13:57 libz.dylib -> libz.1.2.5.dylib

As you can see, there really is only one library - libz.1.2.5.dylib. The other files are simply links to that library.

Thus, libz.1.2.5.dylib is the latest version, and you would get the same result using it as if you used libz.dylib. Or, at least, you would until a newer version of the library came out, which isn't hugely likely at present.

If your directory is missing the dynamic links, you could always recreate them manually.