Hey fellow developers,
I am so puzzled with the entire app marketing world. Its extremely hard and getting harder to get any type of ROI. Maybe I am not doing things correctly.
Let me share with everyone what I am doing. I am sure almost everyone is doing the same thing, and if not, well I hope this helps you, cuz it is not doing much for me
Lets first start with the app. I have lots of them, happens to be all of them are games (yes yes i know super competitive market). I also want to disclose that I am part of a team of about 4-5 developers and 2-3 artists, so I guess you can say we are a very small startup
Before I release an app, I focus on making it high quality so users would love it. In fact, average my games have 4 star reviews (no no, i do not buy the reviews on fiverr or any other site. these are REAL reviews). One specific app I have a bit over than 500 reviews for all versions, most of them are 4 star, and about 3% are 2 star, so overall its pretty good.
Below are my marketing efforts I have done:
* YouTube Video - DONE - Hired a pro to do it for me!
* Facebook/Twitter - DONE - constantly on it and promoting as much as I can
* Submit to review sites (complete waste in my opinion) - DONE - even hired several services to do it (i will not name them since I hate * bashing companies, i am sure they did the best they code).
App Search Optimization (ASO)
* Constantly reviewing my keywords and optimizing them. Even using services such as sensortower which is pretty cool. It helps a lot.
* My experiences with ASO is that you have to always be on top of it. I literarily do updates almost every week to see the impact of the keywords. And I do have to say, out of all the efforts, this increases my app traffic a lot!
I tried it all. TapJoy, Facebook Ads, FeaturePoints, RevMob, Chartboost, etc... all are great services. But the ROI i received didn't compensate the advertising dollars I spent.
Some statistics I would like to share:
Monetization of the app: IAPs, RevMob, Chartboost
Advertising budget I had about $1,000 a day
During my advertising campaign (i.e. FB, and others), I got about 1,400 downloads per day. When I stopped the campaign it dropped to 800 a day, and then 1 week later, averaged about 400 a day. When I continue to optimize the keywords I can get a steady download stream of 250-300 a day
Now my app gets around 250-300 a day, sometimes goes down to 150 a day. That is nothing. it SUCKS!!
In all my experiments, it seems when I don't do advertising and stick with ASO, i can get the 200-300 a day (approx and average). But when i do advertising then i get more depending on my budget.
I even tried many cross promoting within my apps.. I have about 20 or so... and it helps, but still i can't get past the 400 mark at most and even that is rare.
What am I doing wrong? So far we didn't make back the cost of the app, and it has been over 6 months.
Please anyone help. Anyone share their experiences. Enlighten me. PLEASE....
Also while I am at it, I am so curious, on the appempire.com how the heck can that be true? I know all of us are app developers here and we work very hard, and I don't know about you, but I am like the starving app developer.... How does appempire students make all this money?
PLEASE enlighten me!