Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beginner here trying to build an app.

ggonzagaggonzaga Aventura FLPosts: 1New Users Noob
Hello, I am a beginner and I am trying to build an iOS application for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. Well, basically the app requires you to register, so I need a server to store all the information. So my questions are if I need to buy/build a server computer (like Mac Mini OSX Server) or is there some kind of cloud server you buy from a bigger company? I don't want to have to get a computer to store all the stuff, so is there some kind of cloud server that stores all the registrations and stuff? If so, please tell me what it is called so I can look it up.

Also, what languages do I have to learn? I am learning Objective-C, do I need to know some kind of server language to manage the server as well or is it UI friendly?

Thank you!

Replies

• ryantcbryantcb Posts: 667Registered Users @ @ @
    To store registrations use a MySQL database most decent host will have one through phpMyAdmin. Then use a php script to query the database and handle that response into the iOS app.
  • kapps11kapps11 Posts: 732Registered Users @ @ @
    I'd recommend using a BaaS company that will handle all of the server stuff for you. I've used parse.com before and I love them. Free for most uses and a great sdk.
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 394New Users @ @
    Your ISP would probably take a dim view of you running a server on your home account, especially if it gets a lot of traffic. Check your terms of service.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 279Registered Users @ @
    Your ISP would probably take a dim view of you running a server on your home account, especially if it gets a lot of traffic. Check your terms of service.

I dont think a server for Registration would burn all that much traffic. But a problem with a home server would be access for 24/7 for the entire year.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 394New Users @ @

I dont think a server for Registration would burn all that much traffic. But a problem with a home server would be access for 24/7 for the entire year.

It's not so much the traffic as running a business on a personal home account. They'd want to sell you a business account instead.
  • hogie1418hogie1418 Posts: 24New Users @
    If your looking for options and something to play around with You could check out amazons aws. They offer a free cloud server instance as long as you stay within their free tier limitations. I am still pretty new with it but I am working with java on the server and using it for exactly what you are trying to do.
  • allen4lifeallen4life NevadaPosts: 13New Users *
    I can second hogie1418's comment, using it myself as well