Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squirly project became nightmare - rewards and earnings go to players (not to the devs)

Steventheking01Steventheking01 AmsterdamPosts: 12New Users *
I’ve devoted a few months programming an arcade game called Squirly with a few guys I met through my dev network. We brought it from concept to alpha version, at which point we had a dispute about the contractual agreements we had made. Essentially, the dispute resolved around one thing: money. I had agreed to spend my time on development of the game for a share of the earnings. However, since I held a minority share in the total project I didn’t have the sole ownership of the decision making process and later came a dispute…

During the course of the project, the owner of the game decided he didn’t want to make any money with the project anymore. Even though the basis of the game was very commercial. We ended up debating about this but for no reason, he had already made up his mind. He wanted to give the funds to charity or something, but he didn’t even know what he wanted yet. One thing was for sure though, he didn’t want to keep it himself nor pay me.

Upset that I was, I quit the project. I just wanted to make money but wasn’t clear enough about that in the contract and ended up leaving with nothing.

[ Link and code explanation removed. I'm assuming you don't retain the copyright to this code, so posting it here is not allowed (and is a bad idea on your part). -- NSFoo ]

Anyway… the whole point of this is that I am enraged by the whole course of events. First dragging me in with promises and agreements, which were not drafted on paper well enough. Then later on completely shifting gears without considering me and apparently somewhere between me leaving and now that the game is in the store, there IS motive to pay players. I don’t get it and feel wronged, what do you guys think? Ever had something like this?
Post edited by NSFoo on

Replies

• RudyRudy Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1,787Registered Users @ @ @ @
    I've lost quite a bit of money due to poor contracts (or lack of). Let's just say I've learned my lesson
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,632New Users @ @ @ @ @
    This is EXACTLY why I avoid these sort of things.

They promise you a % of the profits... and then screw you.

And even if they didn't screw you, the odds on the app being a big hit is zilch.

So why even do it. You're better off getting your hourly rate.

As the song goes... nothing from nothing leaves nothing.
  • allen4lifeallen4life NevadaPosts: 13New Users *
    I agree with you, dev666999, but at the end of the day. You want to make money with your own concepts right? But yes, the risk is sometimes bigger than the reward!
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,240Registered Users @ @ @ @
    welcome to the world of business partners. It never works out well and always ended with a lot of fighting and bickering. When it comes to business partners, simple is typically better. determine up front, "I will do x amount of work for x dollars or x % of revenue". And then expect your partner to disagree with the meaning of the contract 2 weeks later.

Secondly, in my opinion business partnerships should always be set up as boss<->employee. never boss<->boss. that never works.
  • allen4lifeallen4life NevadaPosts: 13New Users *
    But steven, are they giving away a prize as a reward for achieving the highscore? Is that what you said in your earlier post?