Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have app reviewers gotten worse?

2»

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    paintcan wrote: »
    astersdo wrote: »
    Bizarre if you can't have both a free and a paid version of an app. I wish the EU would hurry up and investigate App Stores like they said they would. An App Store with rigged search, curated chart positions, and dubious review practices is surely worth a look.

This is what needs to happen. Someone needs to investigate.

In addition to what you have mentioned above, there are also too many unfair contractual clauses in their terms of service. Also their App Store Review *Guidelines* should be just that, guidelines, but they are now treating them as commandments by punishing anyone who doesn't comply with their vague, unclear, left up to interpretation bullshit. Just because the TOS says they reserve the right to remove your apps, ban your account, refuse you service, etc etc does not mean that they can do all of these things for any arbitrary reason. Contrary to popular belief and what the app store giants want you to believe, those reasons actually must be legitimate enough to hold up in court. It's just that no one has taken action against them yet.

In the regular world there is something called wrongful termination. An employer may ask you to sign an employment contract that says they have the right to terminate your employment for any reason at all, but that won't hold up in the court of law. For instance, that clause would not allow them to legally terminate an employee for being female, pregnant, or married. This would be considered discrimination.

I hope an action comes against this one day soon.

The problem with all this is that Apple lets you build a business within the Apple landscape, and then willynilly through some dumb management decision, changes the rules, effectively killing your business.

And you, as the developer, have no recourse.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »
    The problem with all this is that Apple lets you build a business within the Apple landscape, and then willynilly through some dumb management decision, changes the rules, effectively killing your business.
    And you, as the developer, have no recourse.
    Totally agree. It is immoral and so unlike what I would have originally expected from Apple. Where's the fair play?

• dinglefacedingleface Posts: 178New Users @ @
    dev666 is right... unfortunately nothing you can do about it. It's Apple and Google's stores so they are jury judge and executioner.

• SeanyKSeanyK Posts: 195Registered Users @ @
    Well 2nd response was another canned reply;
    "
    Hello,

Thank you for your response. We ask that you consolidate your existing apps, as well as any new apps that you submit, as your app provides the same feature set as other apps you've submitted to the App Store, only varying slightly in content or language. (For those instances where it doesn’t seem appropriate to consolidate all of your apps into one, it would also be acceptable to consolidate your apps by theme, category of app, business, etc.)

To resolve this issue, please combine apps with similar themes and feature sets into a single "container" app. You may want to consider using the in-app purchase API to deliver the different content to your users.
    "

I still don't get them, the app is a piano app, I have no other piano apps other than the free version of the same app, it is beyond ridiculous.

edited August 12
    SeanyK wrote: »
    Well 2nd response was another canned reply;
    "
    Hello,

Thank you for your response. We ask that you consolidate your existing apps, as well as any new apps that you submit, as your app provides the same feature set as other apps you've submitted to the App Store, only varying slightly in content or language. (For those instances where it doesn’t seem appropriate to consolidate all of your apps into one, it would also be acceptable to consolidate your apps by theme, category of app, business, etc.)

To resolve this issue, please combine apps with similar themes and feature sets into a single "container" app. You may want to consider using the in-app purchase API to deliver the different content to your users.
    "

I still don't get them, the app is a piano app, I have no other piano apps other than the free version of the same app, it is beyond ridiculous.

I got the same response. This is their way of stonewalling you and not allowing you to proceed further. But they don't give you any concrete guidelines as to exactly what would be acceptable.

Their idea of "similar" is absurd. For example, using their logic there can be no individual Marvel comic books. Only one giant thick bible, holding all of the Marvel comics.

The way we create game apps is not very different from how other media and toys are created. They aren't all dumped into one giant box. They are separate runs with additional and side characters. And yet Apple would have us dump them all into one huge container.

In other words, get ready to retool your whole app business. And that takes a lot of time, and for some... lots of money.

This reminds me of the Christian Inquisition. Reasoning and logic won't save you. Only blind obedience will.
    edited August 12
    What is really bad about all this is once you get your first rejection based on Spam or Design, your developer account will be flagged. Future updates on other apps will most likely receive the same treatment. This makes it almost impossible to do normal updates. And with Apple slowly removing your apps with that "30 day" notice, eventually you will have ZERO apps available for sale.

Using Chess, Apple has you Checked.... and soon Checkmated.

This is a bad policy. The simple solution may be to wait on updates and hope the dust settles on this. Apple may with enough of a backlash, reverse their position on all this. But it won't be any time soon.
    This, combined with the ban of the word "free", shows which way we have to go in future I guess. But what about all the people who have bought our paid versions? They'll have to purchase again using the free version's IAPs.
    The upside of these policies could be a drastic improvement in search, but quite a lot of pain for us getting there. I am currently listed way down the search behind a tonne of spam apps (Tic Tac Toe reskins etc).
  • SeanyKSeanyK Posts: 195Registered Users @ @
    They are doing it all wrong, I used to think Google were strict, but Apple take the crown where that is concerned, they are going backwards with policies, it's like a blanket rule without any thought given.

Yes, something had to be done about people who 'reskinned' the same code 100 times, but the solution is not just throw a blanket over every developer (except the big names of course) and tell them to combine every single app.
    Half my apps/games have totally different code bases, how do I combine a Unity game with a Cocos2d, and a cocos2d-x game?

edited August 14
    Wow, some of my apps do not show at all in search i.e. when I expand to "show all". So nobody will ever find them in Apple's store, and I can't list them in any 3rd party store, so these apps are effectively dead. Many of the apps that do show are complete crap with zero reviews. As always lately, you could not make it up.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 594Registered Users @ @ @
    The writing has been on the wall since 2009 for the free version - paid version app model.
    iekei wrote: »
    The writing has been on the wall since 2009 for the free version - paid version app model.

?????

What exactly do you base that on?
    iPhone OS 3 added IAPs, and after that some devs started complaining that their free version - paid version app models started being rejected.
    edited August 16
    iekei wrote: »
    iPhone OS 3 added IAPs, and after that some devs started complaining that their free version - paid version app models started being rejected.

Well yeah, but that was far and far between. And it was reviewer dependent. It was not Apple's new official policy, as it is today.
    There still are free version - paid version apps getting through review recently.

Angry Birds isn't a very good example of a game that should be forced to be combined because although the game mechanics are pretty much the same, there's a pretty big difference in content. Combining all them would make a multi-gigabyte download.

Comics aren't a good example either because all of the content is different.
2»