Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Search had another downgrade ...

astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
My app with 1000+ genuine reviews (average 4.5 stars) dropped 20+ search result places overnight on iPad when searching for "Chess". It is now preceded by "spam" Tic Tac Toe apps with zero ratings, among other dubious items.It truly sucks that an almost 1TN company cannot do simple search results.
Post edited by astersdo on

Replies

• tmongytmongy Posts: 93New Users @
    Yeah I noticed the iPad search results specifically have become horrible. Really crappy apps that haven't been updated in years are ranking really high now. The change started on August 3rd from what I can tell. I'm hoping someone over there will notice it soon :(
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    August 3rd sounds right. We desperately need 3rd party app stores. Apple are really struggling but have little incentive to improve. It is surely only possible to screw it up so many times before they get it right ... but when that will be?
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 101New Users @ @
    I can confirm this too. Thanks for sharing.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    have they bloody fixed this?
    sparkso wrote: »
    have they bloody fixed this?

No doesn't seem like it :/
    I've contacted them via iTunes Connect. No reply yet but at least I know they will see the issue. I suggest you do the same.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 594Registered Users @ @ @
    There's no good reason why those low quality tic-tac-toe games appear in a search for chess, even if they were good.
    I've sent Apple a screenshot as requested. I'm sure it will come to naught but at least I told them. Usually I get the "that's just how it works" feedback. I said it before, but WE NEED 3rd party app stores. Apple just don't understand "search". Search using Apple and you get lemons.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 203Registered Users @ @
    Why do you think a third party app store would be any better? Such a store would be 100% motivated by profit if it is their only business, so would be even more motivated than Apple to make sure that the most profitable apps appear at the top of the search.
    Technically there already are third party app stores.
    iekei wrote: »

Please explain as I am ignorant of this. So could I do one myself? What is the % cut?

Apple came back and said that search is working normally :) :)
    Yeah technically you could do one yourself, make your apps rank #1 for all searches and take 100% of the earnings.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    astersdo wrote: »
    iekei wrote: »

Please explain as I am ignorant of this. So could I do one myself? What is the % cut?

Apple came back and said that search is working normally :) :)

That's Apple pissing in your glass and claiming it's Apple Juice.
    LOL
    It seems to be back to normal from what I can tell.
    tmongy wrote: »
    It seems to be back to normal from what I can tell.

Thank you for the head ups tmongy. Yep, I'm back in the search results too.