Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review Rule 4.2.6... The Sh*t has hit the Fan.

dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,632New Users @ @ @ @ @
Read it and weep...

Apple is openly wiping out Developers and their Livelihood... Just like I have been warning for some time. The latest insult... After January 1, 2018... if you are on Apple's list of developers they want to eliminate, Apple will no longer accept your apps. In effect, you are out of business.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/08/apples-widened-ban-on-templated-apps-is-wiping-small-businesses-from-the-app-store/

Replies

• iekeiiekei Posts: 614Registered Users @ @ @
    Web apps were always a better way to go anyway.
  • savannasavanna Posts: 274New Users @ @
    Creating apps from templates for small business looked like an interesting opportunity a while back, but I decided not to do it myself for this reason.

Apple don't want the app store to be the world wide web. You search for apps on the app store, not your local pizza place.

As the world wide web looks more and more like a collection of apps itself with websites having greater functionality the line between what an app is and what a website in app form is blurs.

It sucks for those that committed to this model but it was on the cards. Their business should be making the small businesses websites mobile device friendly instead, but that requires customer education who'll all have the word 'app' in their heads, so that would be a challenge.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    savanna wrote: »

Apple don't want the app store to be the world wide web. You search for apps on the app store, not your local pizza place.

but my wife did ask me what's the app store link for pizza box the other day (a local pizza place).
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 182New Users @ @
    It sucks being a hitchhiker on a platform under totalitarian rule.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,632New Users @ @ @ @ @
    There's a big hidden (or visible) problem with this rule.

Apple decides if you are using a template. So, if you refactor code to avoid additional programming... refactor code such as a details page, other apps page, etc... Apple will many times view that as a template app. Ultimately it rests with the reviewer... And we all know just how narrow-minded they can be. My impression of them is that it is a sh*t job, even though it pays over 100K per year.

So even those who think they do not use templates can get snared into this trap. And once flagged, they mark your file, so that future apps and updates are in jeopardy of being rejected.

And FWIW... Apple as a happy and good place to work has dropped significantly among those interviewed. Unhappy employees make unhappy reviewers... with an axe to grind.

• iekeiiekei Posts: 614Registered Users @ @ @
    Some of the affected app developers have hundreds of nearly identical restaurant menu apps. There's even one with more than five thousand of them.

That said, there are still a lot of no longer functioning 32-bit apps on the store that were broken even before iOS 11 was released that I thought would have been updated or removed by now.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    Wow it seems apple developer forums is not allowing us to post news about this . The post gets moderated and nothing happens.
  • sandeepiossandeepios Posts: 13New Users *
    edited December 2017
    Its next to impossible to predict how the reviewer will see the app and what guideline will he keep in mind for reviewing the submitted apps. With Apple, app reviews have always been subjective in nature with same app i submitted by two developer and reviewed by two different reviewers, the result can differ substantialy.
    Post edited by sandeepios on
  • rocotilosrocotilos Posts: 3,297iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    The problem really is on the App Store search algorithm. As for templates or not, i dont think it matters because the problem is spammers, not tools used to create apps.