Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple slowing review times down for violations

We have an app that was recently rejected for missing some disclaimer information for auto-renew subscriptions that had also been missing in the app the last 5 times it was reviewed and approved. So we added the missing information in and then they rejected it again because the information did not show up in the flow of the purchase (which it actually was) AND stated that it must be shown without the user being required to take an action such as tap a button. Which is weird because all the big name companies are definitely not held to this high of standard.

Anyway, now they all of a sudden consider this a serious enough problem that they say fix immediately because it is misleading users, but in the same breathe they say we will now experience extended review times and waiting for review times and throw out usual threats of account termination.

Anyone else have their review times/waiting for review times delayed for some b.s. like this before?

Seems weird that they would rather have our app that they claim is "misleading users" in the store for a longer period of time by deliberately delaying review process. If this is such a concern for their beloved users should they not increase speed of review and waiting for review?

Thoughts? experiences on this you would like to share?

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,629New Users @ @ @ @ @
    While they were nitpicking you to death, the morons at Apple let this one through.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/11/apple-knockoff-myetherwallet-ios/
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 394New Users @ @
    Consider yourself lucky - they could have simply removed your app from sale.
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 182New Users @ @
    Consider yourself lucky - they could have simply removed your app from sale.

They were nitpicking about a missing phrase and holding our app to higher standards than 95% of all other auto renwable sub apps in existence. I actually would rather have them remove it from sale and be able to resubmit a new build in 2 days as opposed to having delayed review times and have to wait 8 days to be able to update the app. That would make more sense based on their logic for having rejected the app in first place as well
  • sandeepiossandeepios Posts: 13New Users *
    edited December 2017
    I have also experience delay in reviews after getting rejected. What you can do is send them a reminder in case of delays. They kind of ignore the apps once they are rejected. The delay even so more in case the app was live and it was removed from sale by Apple
    Post edited by sandeepios on
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 563Registered Users @ @ @
    This is getting stupid. I see on some other forums and also experiencing this myself now:

My app got rejected last month because I have the word "unlimited" in the app promo line "Draw with Unlimited Colors" in my drawing app. My app never had any update problems before until now :

Guideline 1.1.6 - Safety - Objectionable Content
    Your app's metadata contains misleading content or content that is intended to deceive users.

Specifically, your app name misleads users to associate the app with "unlimited".

Please note that adding a disclaimer to the app description is not sufficient if the rest of the metadata and the app are misleading.

The next submission of this app may require a longer review time, and this app will not be eligible for an expedited review until this issue is resolved.

How on earth would i know they suddenly don't allow the word "unlimited" after banning "free" in the app title?
    I think it's really unfair for indie devs. I am sure Warner Bros. made an update to their "Scribblenaults Unlimited" they won't have a problem. At least not get flagged immediately.

Now my updates are taking forever to review.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,629New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited January 7
    sparkso wrote: »
    This is getting stupid. I see on some other forums and also experiencing this myself now:

My app got rejected last month because I have the word "unlimited" in the app promo line "Draw with Unlimited Colors" in my drawing app. My app never had any update problems before until now :

Guideline 1.1.6 - Safety - Objectionable Content
    Your app's metadata contains misleading content or content that is intended to deceive users.

Specifically, your app name misleads users to associate the app with "unlimited".

Please note that adding a disclaimer to the app description is not sufficient if the rest of the metadata and the app are misleading.

The next submission of this app may require a longer review time, and this app will not be eligible for an expedited review until this issue is resolved.

How on earth would i know they suddenly don't allow the word "unlimited" after banning "free" in the app title?
    I think it's really unfair for indie devs. I am sure Warner Bros. made an update to their "Scribblenaults Unlimited" they won't have a problem. At least not get flagged immediately.

Now my updates are taking forever to review.

My take on this. They want you out and gone. They don't follow the normal review rules for you and your app. They instead find something to nitpick about, and threaten you with slower reviews, EVEN though you have not violated any rule.

I don't know what you can do. Perhaps kill this ID and create another developer account. But doing that requires you to really be careful about how you do it, so that they cannot connect the two.

My friend went through this shit too. And he's just as frustrated. He will let his account expire, once it is up for renewal in 5 months. He has been rejected on ALL of his updates, even though Apple told him to update or risk removal from the store. What a double edged sword this is. Apple never intended to approve the updates. They just want him gone. And he was one of Apple's early Indie heroes.
    Hey you are so right . After I fixed the word issue and resubmitted the app, they decided to flag my account for removal and I now ha e 14 days to appeal..... WTF!!
  • supergsuperg Posts: 60Registered Users @
    I had app rejected and after resubmitting it review started in 2 hours and was finished in 5 hours. Never had any issues with Apple despite multiple rejections. I have had account for 7 years with 8 apps that make in total around $100,000 per year.

What kind of apps/games are you guys submitting? Account with hundreds reskinned games or trivial apps that offer no value? Just being curious and trying to understand why does Apple flag some accounts. Can you guys post links to some troublesome apps / accounts?

• dinglefacedingleface Posts: 182New Users @ @
    Such a joke. I have known of one scam developer for a couple years now that i have reported multiple times with strong evidence of his violation of Apple’s TOS. Just scum of the earth cloning apps, infringing trademarks, ignoring legal threats and his many accounts are somehow still active. Yet you read bs like this. Unreal.
    anyone still trying to develop new apps for iOS here?
  • supergsuperg Posts: 60Registered Users @
    Sure. This year will be our best ever in App Store, started development in 2011.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 607Registered Users @ @ @
    Here too.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 215Registered Users @ @

Not new apps (no time), but keeping my existing apps going just fine. Did you ever manage to save your account from termination?

bellissimo wrote: »

Not new apps (no time), but keeping my existing apps going just fine. Did you ever manage to save your account from termination?

No.
    I created a new account and are doing completely different apps now.