Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entitlements? No Entitlements?

timmydtimmyd Posts: 5New Users
edited January 2010 in Ad Hoc Beta Testing
Folks-

I'm trying to create an Ad Hoc distribution for my app, so I can distribute it to a few select beta testers. I'm following the steps on the official iPhone program portal.

I've created a Distribution code signing cert, and an Ad Hoc .mobileprovision file.
I've uploaded the .mobileprovision to my iPhone.
I cloned my "Release" Xcodeproject configuration and renamed it "Distribution".
I set the code signing identity in the Release conifig to my Distribution cert.
I created an "Entitlements.plist" file and added to my project.

So far, so good.

But now when I try to select my "Entitlements.plist" file for my "code signing entitlements", the XCode project inspector gives me no UI to enter the file name.

Attachment 1 ("Entitlements.jpg") is what I'm supposed to see, according to the iPhone Developer Program Portal's instructions.

Attachment 2 ("NoEntitlements.jpg") is what I actually see.

If I build my app without this Entitlements.plist, it fails to upload to my iPhone - I get the dreaded 0xE800003A "application verification failed". So it appears I need to set my Code Signing Entitlements file correctly - yet I cannot.

I haven't found anyone else with this problem. I'm utterly flummoxed. Thoughts welcome. A free copy of our astronomy software goes to the first person who can figure this out!

-timmyd
Tim DeBenedictis
Carina Software
Post edited by timmyd on

Replies

• AppacityAppacity Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited May 2009
    timmyd wrote: »
    Folks-

I'm trying to create an Ad Hoc distribution for my app, so I can distribute it to a few select beta testers. I'm following the steps on the official iPhone program portal.

I've created a Distribution code signing cert, and an Ad Hoc .mobileprovision file.
    I've uploaded the .mobileprovision to my iPhone.
    I cloned my "Release" Xcodeproject configuration and renamed it "Distribution".
    I set the code signing identity in the Release conifig to my Distribution cert.
    I created an "Entitlements.plist" file and added to my project.

So far, so good.

But now when I try to select my "Entitlements.plist" file for my "code signing entitlements", the XCode project inspector gives me no UI to enter the file name.

Attachment 1 ("Entitlements.jpg") is what I'm supposed to see, according to the iPhone Developer Program Portal's instructions.

Attachment 2 ("NoEntitlements.jpg") is what I actually see.

If I build my app without this Entitlements.plist, it fails to upload to my iPhone - I get the dreaded 0xE800003A "application verification failed". So it appears I need to set my Code Signing Entitlements file correctly - yet I cannot.

I haven't found anyone else with this problem. I'm utterly flummoxed. Thoughts welcome. A free copy of our astronomy software goes to the first person who can figure this out!

-timmyd
    Tim DeBenedictis
    Carina Software

Just double click the Entitlements field, it'll popup an entry field where you can just type in Entitlements.plist ...

Steve
  • timmydtimmyd Posts: 5New Users
    edited May 2009
    Appacity wrote: »
    Just double click the Entitlements field, it'll popup an entry field where you can just type in Entitlements.plist ...

Steve

Steve-

Please re-read my posting, and look at the screenshots. There is no Entitlements field for me to click. That is the problem I need to solve.
  • johnqhjohnqh Posts: 812Registered Users @ @ @
    edited May 2009
    Go back to XCode, select "Device" from the pop-up instead of "Simulator". Then bring up the Target properties again.
    edited May 2009
    johnqh wrote: »
    Go back to XCode, select "Device" from the pop-up instead of "Simulator". Then bring up the Target properties again.

John,

I've tried every popup in Xcode that could conceivably have a "Device" vs. "Simulator" option, and none of them made any difference. When you say "the pop-up", which pop-up are you referring to? Can you provide a screen shot?

Sorry to be so dense here. Your help is appreciated.

-Tim
    edited May 2009
    timmyd wrote: »
    John,

I've tried every popup in Xcode that could conceivably have a "Device" vs. "Simulator" option, and none of them made any difference. When you say "the pop-up", which pop-up are you referring to? Can you provide a screen shot?

Sorry to be so dense here. Your help is appreciated.

-Tim

Not the one in the property window. I am referring to the main project window - "Device/Simulator - 2.0 | Debug | (Project name)" popup, with "Overview" label below it.
    edited May 2009
    johnqh wrote: »
    Not the one in the property window. I am referring to the main project window - "Device/Simulator - 2.0 | Debug | (Project name)" popup, with "Overview" label below it.

John,

That was the first one I tried. No joy. Here is a screen shot from Xcode running on my system:

http://www.carinasoft.com/Picture2.jpg

-Tim
    edited May 2009
    See the third item from the top in the target property, "Base SDK"?

Change to "iPhone Device 2.2"
    edited May 2009
    Holy cow. I'm sure I tried this one before and it made no difference. Obviously I can be sure, and still be wrong - it worked this time.

Thank you for your help. Email me at timmyd at carinasoft dot com, and I'll make sure you get a free copy of our app.

-Tim
  • rahul7starrahul7star Posts: 126Registered Users
    edited January 2010
    what will be the project build mode (distribution or release mode) for app submission ??
    and do we need to put adhoc profile also ??