Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how much testing do you do?

RobynRobyn Posts: 162Registered Users
edited March 2010 in Ad Hoc Beta Testing
I'm just curious. I've written my first app, and so far I've sent it to one person to test to see if I could get that to work. Now I know how to do that (at least for someone using Macs) I'm ready to try sending it to a few more. How many different devices do you try to get? I was going to try it on 3GS phone, 3G phone, and iPod touch (not sure what the different varieties of those are, though). What about different OS? Do I need to find people with different versions of that, too?

What kinds of things do you ask them to do - just use the app as normal, or are there specific things that you tyr to get them to test for, especially if they're using different devices?

I have to add each of them to the devices list, and then generate a new provisioning profile, and then re-build the project each time? (I'm just adding them one at a time, to make sure it works). If i want to keep testing the distribution builds on my own phone, too, then will I end up having all these provisioning profiles installed in the end, or will one replace another?

I tried sending it to my windows laptop and installing it from there, but without much success, at least through iTunes - it just went to 'syncing' and stayed there forever. I tried the iPhone configuration utility, and didn't have much luck there at first - it wouldn't let me drag the application file in to the applications pane, but eventually it let me 'add' it through the menu. I had lots of errors trying to install it, but then at one point it finally worked. It makes me suspicious about how to send it to other people, though!
Post edited by Robyn on
<b>Times Table Clock: </b><font color="Teal">BEAT THE JOKERS! </font> - a fun, addictive game of clock solitaire that effortlessly teaches times tables as you play.<br />
<br />
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.timestableclock.com";

Replies

• AlexTheMightyAlexTheMighty Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited March 2010
    ran across this site when I was trying to get an ad hoc test version to a friend who was (foolishly :) ) using something other than OSX, thought I would pass it along as a place to start from when you try to send people ad hoc versions.

Installing an Ad Hoc Distribution - iPhone How To Docs - innerfence
  • RobynRobyn Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited March 2010
    That's exaclty what I tried to do - I followed all sorts of online tutorials, but it never seemed to work. I got it into my Windows iTunes that way, but then when I try to sync my phone to it, it just hangs.

I don't know whether it is because I already had the certificate on my phone or in some other way messed things up because I wasn't a 'brand new' user, or whether it was windows that caused the problem. Or whether it was the zipping - I used the Mac 'right click' in the finder and compress option to zip it, and someone said that's not great either.

So then I tried the config utility, got errors there too, but eventually got it to work. hmmm.
    <b>Times Table Clock: </b><font color="Teal">BEAT THE JOKERS! </font> - a fun, addictive game of clock solitaire that effortlessly teaches times tables as you play.<br />
    <br />
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <br />
    <br />
  • RobynRobyn Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited March 2010
    It's such a nightmare trying to get this to work on someone else's windows machine! Been trying all morning. None of the files install properly in her iTunes or iPhone config utility, wrong profiles, errors in signing, etc etc. I think the zipping is part of the problem, so i'm trying new ways of doing that.

Once I created the new provisioning profile with her device on it, I dragged it into xcode organiser, and replaced the old one. That seemed to be a bad idea, as then it gave me endless errors about not being able to find the provisioning profile with the old number. I could not find anywhere in the build settings that the number of the old profile was specified, but it must be somewhere.

Eventually I deleted the distribution configuration, and created a new one by copying the release build and redoing all the settings, etc. That seemed to help.

but not totally. I changed settings in the 'project' file, but not in the 'target' info, and it seems you have to change them both, or it still wants the devloper profile instead of the distribution one. So I've done that now, but my tester has given up for the moment after all the hassle! so I am hoping to try again later. Even if the code signing is fixed, I still don't know whether it will work just by dragging the file into iTunes. I've created a zipped .ipa file, as the instructions said to do. I also tried with a zipped .app file, as that's what the config utility seemed to want.

And do I seriously have to go through all this every time I add a new tester? New profile, yes, but it seems I can just install the profile and then still have it work, I have to do whole new distribution configurations and all the settings again and everything?
    <br />
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <br />
    <br />