Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else seeing a big drop in ad eCPM the past couple of days?

maccyfinmaccyfin Posts: 315Registered Users @ @
Hi all. We use admob for ads in our games. The past few days we've seen a quite a big drop in eCPM, is anyone else seeing this.
On 26th December the number of impressions was 208,000, and on December 31st was 210,000 impression about. Yet we made less than half the amount of revenue on the 31st even with the same CTR (click through rate) as the 26th :s

Thanks for any feedback. I've attached an image of the eCPM data here.

Martin
fyzb83.png2vjtll1.png6jdrhk.png

Replies

• Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 419Registered Users @ @
    Yes, I even posted about it in Xmas day sales topic.
    We have seen a drop on all networks, with iAds being the worst affected by far. Admob is also showing a drop, although it is not quite as bad.
  • ilmmanilmman Posts: 950Registered Users @ @ @
    Its quite normal to happen after xmas .. Happened last year..

• maccyfinmaccyfin Posts: 315Registered Users @ @
    hey guys, thanks for the messages. phew, I can relax a little now, thought it was just me.

This is why I'm trying move more away from focussing on ads in the game and more of in app purchases and offer walls. Ad revenue has been way too volatile recently.

M

• iekeiiekei Posts: 575Registered Users @ @ @
    Advertisers were willing to pay more before and during Christmas than after. What would you expect?
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,036Registered Users @ @ @ @
    maccyfin said:

hey guys, thanks for the messages. phew, I can relax a little now, thought it was just me.

This is why I'm trying move more away from focussing on ads in the game and more of in app purchases and offer walls. Ad revenue has been way too volatile recently.

M

What is offer wall?
  • esotericesoteric Posts: 617Registered Users @ @ @
    It's also the end of the 4th quarter, so usually the eCPM's drop when a new quarter begins.
  • Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 419Registered Users @ @
    I am fully expecting a drop in eCPMs, just not a drop this big (10 month low for iAds).
  • PlutoPrimePlutoPrime Posts: 351Registered Users @ @
    Advertising is a cyclical business. You will always see a ramp up at the end of the month, and drop in revenue on the first few days of the month until campaigns for that month kick-in at full steam. These effects are exacerbated during holidays periods as biiig ad spends create huge peaks on your revenue graphs so the drop back down looks steeper compared to the rest of the year.
  • ilmmanilmman Posts: 950Registered Users @ @ @
    edited January 2013
    January usually is the crappiest time to advertise anyways where as December is probably the best time to advertise, hence the contrast is probably big after x-Mas (well, at least for me.).
  • maccyfinmaccyfin Posts: 315Registered Users @ @
    @raymng - an offer wall is where the player / user can get free currency in your game by downloading another game or watching a video ad. The offer wall itself is just a pop up in the app which shows the list of offers such as 'download this game and get 500 coins'. Tapjoy.com is a good company for this. It works well on android but not on iOS as Apple is quite strict about including incentivised offers. I'm getting Tapjoy added in to one of our android games now called 'Gangnam Style Vs Dance Zombies'. Ad revenue in this game is still bad though compared to our iOS games. It's always been better on iOS, even the CTR (click through rate) is a lot better on iOS.