Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I employed by Apple?

DigitalCorpzeDigitalCorpze Posts: 6New Users
Hi all,
I just wanted to know if it would be true saying that I am currently employed by Apple because I develop apps for their iPhone app store.

The reason I am asking is because I wanted to add Apple as a place of employment on the extra-curricular section of my university application.

Replies

• gbhgbh Posts: 361Registered Users @ @
    no.
    --<br />
    Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit... Then why am I a programmer?
  • twernertwerner Posts: 460New Users @ @
    edited January 2013
    No you are not employed by Apple, BUT who pays you ? Apple of course - So it is correct to say, you are working for Apple as a freelancer..... It is like a journalist working for New York Post, writing articles - he is working for NYP even if some of his articles are not published and he is not directly employed, but he gets paid from NYP - that easy...
  • jrustonappsjrustonapps Posts: 96New Users @
    You definitely do not work for Apple.

You could add that you develop apps for the iOS App Store and make revenue from doing so, but claiming that you're employed by them would be wrong.
  • RudyRudy Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1,787Registered Users @ @ @ @
    Apple offers you a service (they will sell your app) and for that service they charge YOU money (30% of your profit). You couldn't be further from working for them really, you're just one of their customers
  • foanyfoany Posts: 592Registered Users
    Apple are a business partner of yours or the entity with which the contract is made. The agreement with apple is not a contract of employment, you do not work for them.
  • twernertwerner Posts: 460New Users @ @
    It is simple:
    Who pays you (the sender of the wire transaction) - you are working for !
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    edited January 2013
    We are all Apple's b**ch, and grateful for it.
  • baja_yubaja_yu San FranciscoPosts: 6,215Moderators, Registered Users Admin
    twerner said:

It is simple:

Nope. It doesn't work that way. Just because you receive money from someone does not mean you are their employee or that you work for them in any way. Just because you may like to think of yourself "working for Apple" does not make it true.
  • HemiMGHemiMG Posts: 374Registered Users @ @
    twerner said:

It is simple:

So Apple works for Best Buy? EA works for GameStop? Frito-Lay works for the corner market? You are oversimplifying. You aren't an employee unless the company actually hires you to do a job. You aren't a freelancer or independent contractor for a company unless that company specifically contracts you out to do a job.
    Read the itunes agreement. The words employee and employer do not exist in it.
    --<br />
    Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit... Then why am I a programmer?
  • fasthatchfasthatch Posts: 75Registered Users @
    twerner said:

It is simple:

Terribly incorrect.

• MyBrushesMyBrushes USAPosts: 37New Users @
    no. Apple didn't pay you any salary. He get 30% from you only.
    <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mybrushes-for-ipad-paint-draw/id448080369?mt=8">; MyBrushes for iPad- A unique painting app designed to create images and playback the whole painting process. </a>
    <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mybrushes-for-iphone-painting/id513834879?mt=8">; MyBrushes for iPhone </a>

<h?> Write PM for review exchange for IOS and MAC app. Free or Paid will be accepted.</h?>
  • chemistrychemistry Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    No. BUT you enjoy the same benefits as if you are employed by Apple in one situation, and that is borrowing money from a bank, either a personal loan or a mortgage. IF you are paid by Apple via ACH since you get a Apple XXXXX autopay statement in your bank statement each month, effectively creditors (the bank) look at it as salary paid by Apple.
    Banks don't need you to prove that they actually hired you by hiring letters etc, they just need to find an autopay entry each month and you are done.

except if you list apple as an "employer" and they go through a real employment verification process you will be committing a fraud on your loan or employment application. Many places use companies like theworknumber.com to verify employment with an employer. The last time I got a loan they verified my dayjob income via theworknumber and my self employment income via 2 years of tax returns list self employment reported income.
    --<br />
  • lgehrig1lgehrig1 Posts: 395Registered Users @ @
    And I leap into the fray ...

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs13.htm

Any app work you do is NOT an integral part of the principal's (aka Apple) business. You are investing 100% of your own money in facilities and equipment. Apple has zero control over you (editorial discretion over what to sell in their own store doesn't count as "control"). Any profit and loss opportunity YOU have is entirely at your own control, and you have no control over Apple's p&l. It's all YOU - the initiative, judgement, etc. required for success is 100% on your shoulders. And you're free to form additional business relationships with anybody/anything when making your app with zero input from Apple.

You don't work for them. I don't work for them. Not as a regular employee, not as a contractor, not as a freelancer. The true relationship is closer to panzeriti's observation than most of us like ;)

Put the URLs for your apps on your college application. Emphasize your entrepreneurial spirit (it's the "in" thing these days). If you've got a good demo video, consider sending a DVD along with your college essay. Send 'em some promo codes for your apps (assuming you're charging) - hey, if nothing else, it'll let you know somebody read your essay! If they're asking for a picture, beg/borrow as many iPhones, iPads, iPods as you need to display all your apps, and make sure it's all in frame and focus ("Me and My Apps") - [ note to self: damn, that's a good idea. New Facebook profile pic time! ]

And good luck!

• RudyRudy Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1,787Registered Users @ @ @ @
    chemistry said:

No. BUT you enjoy the same benefits as if you are employed by Apple in one situation, and that is borrowing money from a bank, either a personal loan or a mortgage. IF you are paid by Apple via ACH since you get a Apple XXXXX autopay statement in your bank statement each month, effectively creditors (the bank) look at it as salary paid by Apple.
    Banks don't need you to prove that they actually hired you by hiring letters etc, they just need to find an autopay entry each month and you are done.

I don't know about the US but I know in Canada that's not how it works
  • AdamsAppleAdamsApple Posts: 125Registered Users
    panzeriti said:

We are all Apple's b**ch, and grateful for it.

+1
    Best answer.

Put that in ur cv. Lol