Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you continue developing apps?

2»

Replies

• GameViewPointGameViewPoint UKPosts: 284 @ @
    To give some perspective from the game development angle, I've created 2 small iOS games, and I've been working on a big iOS strategy game for some time. To address the main question, I do it because I love making games, and because iOS is mostly where the money is, having said that it's getting very difficult to make games of the quality required to make a decent living on the App store, simply because there are so many games being released that your game has to be outstanding or you need lots of money to advertise it. If all you can manage is an average game then I would suggest not bothering because even an "average" game will still take a least a month doing the code and graphics, and the result will be making $10 if you are lucky.

The people who will do alright with the App store are the dev's who have been developing for 2+ years and already have a number of apps/games, that they can use to direct traffic to any new app/game, or those apps/games are making enough to hire people to make a new app/game, but if you are starting from scratch I suggest keeping the day job and working on your own project in your spare time and making it as good as you can, as good as the top 50 app/games or better.
    FREE iOS Cat game! Fat Bubble Cat!
  • influx78influx78 Posts: 12 *
    Sorry to disagree with GameViewPoint but I think you don't have to have great apps, you just need good business sense. I started by reading this forum a year ago and found some good ideas to get started. But you need to seek ideas outside of indie developers and find a model of business that works. Otherwise yeah its just pot luck and you are wasting your time.

There's a bunch of courses for making a business selling apps, and they aren't half bad. I've had friends use them (even ones that cost $10k) and have seen them rise to success in a few months. I wont name them for fear people will think I'm selling something...

Personally I look for good investments. For example buying/developing code and art for $300 to return $1k-$5k in revenue is a good business and if done many times (I have done this many many times) then it can be a profitable exercise.
  • ilmmanilmman Posts: 950 @ @ @
    influx78 wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree with GameViewPoint but I think you don't have to have great apps, you just need good business sense. I started by reading this forum a year ago and found some good ideas to get started. But you need to seek ideas outside of indie developers and find a model of business that works. Otherwise yeah its just pot luck and you are wasting your time.

Why else does china spam lots of low quality crap? I hear alot of them are earning in the millions using that strat..
  • GameViewPointGameViewPoint UKPosts: 284 @ @
    edited August 2013
    @inFlux78

Are you referring to apps or games? as I was talking about games. In regards to apps you may be right, it's just a question of finding the right niche, but with games, every "niche" is already saturated, so you need to either make something really special, or if you already have money to invest try to find people to mass produce games for you, but again you have to look at the money put in compared to what you could get in return.

@ilmman, Exactly, that's the "mass produce" games approach, but obviously to do that you need a fair bit of start up money to buy the code/hire the coders/hire the graphic artists. I also suspect most of the money earned by those games is probably being made via IAP's.

FREE iOS Cat game! Fat Bubble Cat!
  • dhomesdhomes Posts: 106 @ @
    by the way sales are going this summer because I'm a masochist i guess
2»