Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you continue developing apps?

Wilbor9Wilbor9 BrazilPosts: 34New Users @
Recently I created a topic on the average income with applications and soon received many replies from users saying that it was very difficult to make $ 25/day even with many good applications. So I wonder why you continue to develop, since I believe that no one survives well on less than $ 25/day, with further work that would to develop various applications?

Replies

• mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    edited July 2013
    Well for one, my experience with apps has allowed me to get several interview opportunities. I've listed myself on sites like angel.co, whitetruffle.com, indeed.com and of course linkedIn. There was a time I was getting emails daily for recruitment opportunities (unfortunately I am in a situation where I cannot relocate...and most are looking for permanent hire)

I've been able to sell 3 of my apps on apptopia.com for $x,xxx amount. And this is all coming from 0 experience with app/software development, though I do have a web development background. The future of money in mobile is only increasing. It seems to me, the world is going mobile. If you aren't skating to where the puck is going, you'll never score the goal!
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,547New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Because money is a byproduct of doing something we are passionate about.

You, on the other hand are doing it purely for the money. And yet, you have no skills.

Ironic.

• ZhenyaZhenya Posts: 127New Users @ @
    For some reason I believe it is very easy to make $25 a day with a single "GOOD" app. But my definition of "GOOD" is probably pretty narrow. For one, it excludes all games.

I'm not saying it is impossible to make $25 with a non-"GOOD" app. I just think it is much harder. Also, I'm not saying that my app is "GOOD", but I'm heading there. The app was making more than $25 a day starting from second month of sales. It is not a big achievement at all in my opinion, but it seems to fit your criteria. I would even say that an app making $25 a day is doomed to die pretty soon. Just because it means there is no strong interest and no user base. But I'm past that point and I think I have a chance.

Ok, here are some qualities of a "GOOD" app (all IMHO of course):
    1) There is an existing niche market for the app. I would recommend researching desktop software for good candidates.
    2) It is none of the following: game, entertainment app, app targeting mass consumer, etc. You're a single developer with no background, don't go that route.
    3) The app serves a definite purpose and solves a specific problem users have. At least the part you're trying to sell.
    4) A solid app. Meaning the design is good, user experience is good, icons are pretty, app is stable.
    5) Last but not least. You have to be persistent. Keep updating the app, keep improving, keep spreading the word, keep listening to your users. Spending month for one app then switching to another one and another one will not do it.
  • savannasavanna Posts: 255New Users @ @
    I think most people start by thinking they will make good money having heard of the success stories.

They make no money and then give up. Some will get lucky and then later find they don't make enough money and give up.

Many here haven't yet given up, or make their money by working for companies that makes apps for other companies whose income doesn't come solely from app sales.

I believe it has largely become unsustainable to make enough money from app sales alone and I think the future of the various app stores will be to host apps like the web hosts websites. Websites are mostly a front for businesses that do not solely exist on the internet, and most apps will exist solely to extend the reach of non app businesses.

When app businesses eventually have to compete with non app businesses providing the same functionality in apps for free I see no other future.

Games are different and could quite happily exist on the app store, but with the tech improving the indies will have a harder time as has happened in the past when the bedroom studios lost out to well funded teams.

Indie days are numbered, it would not be wise to join the game now in that form.
  • givensurgivensur On the Information SuperhighwayPosts: 541Registered Users @ @ @
    I enjoy it. Plus, I like serving my target market (cake decorators -- one of which, is my wife).

Also, my year and a half programming experience with two apps in the store was enough to land me a programming job. There's not too many other professions out there where being self taught is just as respected as having a degree.
    I make cake apps.
  • orca0294orca0294 Posts: 26New Users @
    A mix of freedom, passion, and money.

I have had about ten months in the App Store and the income has been extremely inconsistent. With two apps sold on AppTopia and revenue from the App Store, I have averaged about $32 a day.
  • Wilbor9Wilbor9 BrazilPosts: 34New Users @
    dev666999 said:

Because money is a byproduct of doing something we are passionate about.

You, on the other hand are doing it purely for the money. And yet, you have no skills.

Ironic.

Just so you know, I've been working with programming and desemvolvimento a long time (since my first job) and always did that because I like what I do, but I, like many others, I saw a very large increase in the mobile world, and I believe this is the future, but coming here and in other forums seemed to me that people simply did not earn money, and my doubt arose because many of the developers of apps could be working on other development sectors, fazneod something they like, while earning money.
    The questions you asked, made it sound like you were a complete newbie to programming and design.

Since you have programming skills already, iOS should be easy. And by now you would have already created your first app.

I am not insulting you, just pointing out the obvious.

As for the questions you ask about average monies earned...Average will never give you the answer.

For example, if you have one arm in a bonfire, and the other in a bucket of ice water, on average you should be comfortable ;)
    Zhenya said:

For some reason I believe it is very easy to make $25 a day with a single "GOOD" app. But my definition of "GOOD" is probably pretty narrow. For one, it excludes all games.

I'm not saying it is impossible to make $25 with a non-"GOOD" app. I just think it is much harder. Also, I'm not saying that my app is "GOOD", but I'm heading there. The app was making more than $25 a day starting from second month of sales. It is not a big achievement at all in my opinion, but it seems to fit your criteria. I would even say that an app making $25 a day is doomed to die pretty soon. Just because it means there is no strong interest and no user base. But I'm past that point and I think I have a chance.

Ok, here are some qualities of a "GOOD" app (all IMHO of course):
    1) There is an existing niche market for the app. I would recommend researching desktop software for good candidates.
    2) It is none of the following: game, entertainment app, app targeting mass consumer, etc. You're a single developer with no background, don't go that route.
    3) The app serves a definite purpose and solves a specific problem users have. At least the part you're trying to sell.
    4) A solid app. Meaning the design is good, user experience is good, icons are pretty, app is stable.
    5) Last but not least. You have to be persistent. Keep updating the app, keep improving, keep spreading the word, keep listening to your users. Spending month for one app then switching to another one and another one will not do it.

Just as a question,how much apps you have?
    I really understand what you're talking about, and I agree, the apps should be good, my Objetive is to develop a maximum two applications, one to better understand how the mobile world is, and another as my main product, which comes from an idea that is already prepared a long time, so I will of much attention to this project to make only one application, but with a lot of quality, but my doubts about income, came to make this app as good as planned I'll need some investments not very high, but are already some investments.
    What category of app you recommend for me to do my first app? Thinking about the fact that it uses to learn how the mobile world works?
    givensur said:

I enjoy it. Plus, I like serving my target market (cake decorators -- one of which, is my wife).

Also, my year and a half programming experience with two apps in the store was enough to land me a programming job. There's not too many other professions out there where being self taught is just as respected as having a degree.

This is really good, a very good initiative.
    orca0294 said:

I have had about ten months in the App Store and the income has been extremely inconsistent. With two apps sold on AppTopia and revenue from the App Store, I have averaged about $32 a day.

Just a question,how many apps you have?from which categories?how much time you spent to understand how the things works?
    dev666999 said:

The questions you asked, made it sound like you were a complete newbie to programming and design.

Since you have programming skills already, iOS should be easy. And by now you would have already created your first app.

I am not insulting you, just pointing out the obvious.

As for the questions you ask about average monies earned...Average will never give you the answer.

For example, if you have one arm in a bonfire, and the other in a bucket of ice water, on average you should be comfortable ;)

The question comes because i have experience in programming but don't have any exprecine in mobile,and i have an idea of app but will requires some investments,so i need to make a calculation of how much i can do,to try dont lose money.
    i know thats is a really instable market and involves lots of factors,but i think that some of the users of here can help me to make something more precise.
    To get comfortable and up to speed with iOS, you should start by writing some simple apps.

The thing that most developers lose is time. But what you learn is priceless.
  • ZhenyaZhenya Posts: 127New Users @ @
    Wilbor9 said:

Just as a question,how much apps you have?
    I really understand what you're talking about, and I agree, the apps should be good, my Objetive is to develop a maximum two applications, one to better understand how the mobile world is, and another as my main product, which comes from an idea that is already prepared a long time, so I will of much attention to this project to make only one application, but with a lot of quality, but my doubts about income, came to make this app as good as planned I'll need some investments not very high, but are already some investments.
    What category of app you recommend for me to do my first app? Thinking about the fact that it uses to learn how the mobile world works?

I have two tablet only applications. Don't really have any specific recommendations on category to start with. There are opportunities everywhere. Think what you good at or what you're passionate about and generate a list of apps that you would personally use. That's the key to success (just read the recent stories of some guys on this forum). Look at the competition and make a better app. Make sure you choose the app you can have good keywords for. Make it free first but leave a space for an in-app products in future versions.

Well for one, my experience with apps has allowed me to get several interview opportunities. I've listed myself on sites like angel.co, whitetruffle.com, indeed.com and of course linkedIn. There was a time I was getting emails daily for recruitment opportunities (unfortunately I am in a situation where I cannot relocate...and most are looking for permanent hire)

I've been able to sell 3 of my apps on apptopia.com for $x,xxx amount. And this is all coming from 0 experience with app/software development, though I do have a web development background. The future of money in mobile is only increasing. It seems to me, the world is going mobile. If you aren't skating to where the puck is going, you'll never score the goal!

Job interview is very good, you could tell if these interviews were for good jobs?
    I really see in their apps in several places and now knowing that you started with no experience in programming mobile, would you give some tips to me that I am also starting from scratch in the mobile world?
    Wilbor9 said:

orca0294 said:

Just a question,how many apps you have?from which categories?how much time you spent to understand how the things works?
    I have released four apps but only one is live right now. Two social networking, one music, and one productivity. I am unsure exactly what you mean by how much time have you spent to understand how things work means but I am continuously learning and have been programming/designing for ~7 years.

Here is my latest app: Top of the Morning
  • nsxwolfnsxwolf Posts: 94Registered Users @
    orca0294 said:

That's a very beautiful app. Would you mind sharing what UI toolkit it is built with?
    orca0294 said:

Wilbor9 said:

orca0294 said:

I have released four apps but only one is live right now. Two social networking, one music, and one productivity. I am unsure exactly what you mean by how much time have you spent to understand how things work means but I am continuously learning and have been programming/designing for ~7 years.

How much time do need to learn how to program the app?
    You make $32/day with only one app or with all your apps?
    As nsxwolf said your app is very beautiful, if possible share with us which UI toolkit and tools(Photoshop,Illustrator,etc) do you used to make your app.
    nsxwolf said:

orca0294 said:

That's a very beautiful app. Would you mind sharing what UI toolkit it is built with?
    Thank you. I do all of the design and development. I designed it in Photoshop.
    edited July 2013
    Wilbor9 said:

orca0294 said:

Wilbor9 said:

orca0294 said:

How much time do need to learn how to program the app?
    You make $32/day with only one app or with all your apps?
    As nsxwolf said your app is very beautiful, if possible share with us which UI toolkit and tools(Photoshop,Illustrator,etc) do you used to make your app.
    I had been programming prior to making apps so it did not take that long to pick up objective-c. I have been learning more and more with every app. The main hurdle I had with this app was making the UI responsive and update as quickly as possible on all devices. I did so by pre-calculating the layout/font sizes and throwing everything I could on a background thread.

On average, I have made $32 a day so far with all of my apps. I have had days that were above $600 (only a few) and days as low as $1. I currently only have Top of the Morning in the App Store. The income has not been consistent whatsoever. I have done very little marketing and no paid marketing.

I designed the app using Photoshop. You can see some of my design work on Dribbble.

• WonderAppsWonderApps Posts: 135New Users @ @
    @orca0294, is app developing your hobby or main job?

As you mentioned you earn in average 32 usd per day (I suppose it is after Apple's cut but before the Taxation), I suppose it is not enough to support your life. Do you work as consultant some time as well?

I suppose most of the visitors in this forum are hobby programmer as the income is not enough to support the living cost 100%. Only few of them have a portfolio of profitable apps.

For me, I develop apps mainly for passion and for a little bit extra money. My main app (first app) called "ATracker" in the productivity category. It generates 50usd per day and the income is very stable. It is a good income for a hobby project but far from supporting my life.

Latest app:<a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atracker-daily-task-tracking/id519561306?mt=8"; target="_blank">ATracker - Daily Task Tracking by WonderApps AB</a>
    edited July 2013
    @WonderApps I am currently wrapping up college. I have one course left to take this fall so for right now this is my main income/job. After college is done, I'd like to raise a bit of money and work on a startup I've tossed around in my mind for a little while.

Just downloaded ATracker. Great job on the app! That is really cool that you are able to generate a consistent income from it.
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 814Registered Users @ @ @
    Another thing to keep in mind with as far as app sale consistency are seasons. Most of my apps are sports and education apps. Every sport has a season and school sessions have seasons too. None of my apps are really consistent but by having most sports I am able to stay in the 50-100 range.

Soon to be my fulltime job.
    Touchmint said:

Another thing to keep in mind with as far as app sale consistency are seasons. Most of my apps are sports and education apps. Every sport has a season and school sessions have seasons too. None of my apps are really consistent but by having most sports I am able to stay in the 50-100 range.

Soon to be my fulltime job.

50-100 with all your apps or per app?can you send your app link?
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 814Registered Users @ @ @
    All my apps. Search me on the App Store.

Mostly baseball basketball football and soccer stats. My bracket maker does well too.