Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you make selling apps?

Replies

• ipodphoneipodphone Posts: 298Registered Users @ @
    Left me hungry for more though. After the 200k the cash flow stopped and I've already blow 25k of it trying to develop more apps with nothing coming out of it. Kind of like an addiction.
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    edited October 2013
    ipodphone wrote: »
    Left me hungry for more though. After the 200k the cash flow stopped and I've already blow 25k of it trying to develop more apps with nothing coming out of it. Kind of like an addiction.

Yup, now you have a gambling addiction.
  • JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
    Actually you're odds are much better if you take that money to Vegas and gamble with it
  • brod1brod1 VirginiaPosts: 26New Users @
    JonPM wrote: »
    Just double check one thing: I have heard from other young developers that they had to use their parent's information in order to sell apps because they were too young to sign the contracts. This might depend on what country you live in.
    I'll definitely need to look into that and see what the rules are.

• rijeka2008rijeka2008 Posts: 118Registered Users @ @
    edited October 2013
    My addiction come up with 56 apps, I make good apps but visibility are major issue, I have tough that maybe this idea for next app will increase sells and for now 56 ideas cross by and sells are dropping, hm, I dunno what to do :)
  • maccyfinmaccyfin Posts: 315Registered Users @ @
    Im focussing on adding more and more features to my latest game now which is on android (coming to iOS soon). the arpu is still quite low at the moment but I'm aiming to get the arpu to $1. Then i can comfortably spend $0.5 on CPI campaigns to get more downloads. I've done some campaigns in the past and the arpu does drop as some players are just curious and will never convert in to money, but I should have enough buffer if I can reach $1 arpu. what do you guys think? has anyone else had this focus on watching and increasing the arpu for a single game / app.

by the way, its called 'Super Bit World' (on google) and '2D Platformer X' (on amazon) if anyones interested.
    e6w2yt.png
    fyzb83.png2vjtll1.png6jdrhk.png

• AragornSGAragornSG Posts: 336Registered Users @ @
    From my experience, the users you're getting at $0.5 will never generate your average organic arpu. If you're getting $1 in US, keep in mind this is the highest value population and cost of getting one user there is WAY above $1.
    Dragon Lords: MMO Strategy for iPhone & Android
    http://www.DragonLordsMobile.com
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,618New Users @ @ @ @ @
    AragornSG wrote: »
    From my experience, the users you're getting at $0.5 will never generate your average organic arpu. If you're getting $1 in US, keep in mind this is the highest value population and cost of getting one user there is WAY above $1.

Can an Indie turn a profit, with the cost that high? Or is this just reserved for the big boys with their endless deep pockets?

• AragornSGAragornSG Posts: 336Registered Users @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »
    Can an Indie turn a profit, with the cost that high? Or is this just reserved for the big boys with their endless deep pockets?
    It really depends on your products. Some competitive "pay-to-win" games have ARPU of $3-5 and can afford $2.5 per install. That's a harsh lesson I learned working on Dragon Lords. Making a game, which balances spenders-vs-non-spenders will get you praise in reviews, but it won't put food on your table...
    Dragon Lords: MMO Strategy for iPhone & Android
    http://www.DragonLordsMobile.com
    AragornSG wrote: »
    dev666999 wrote: »
    It really depends on your products. Some competitive "pay-to-win" games have ARPU of $3-5 and can afford $2.5 per install. That's a harsh lesson I learned working on Dragon Lords. Making a game, which balances spenders-vs-non-spenders will get you praise in reviews, but it won't put food on your table...

Amen! It's the same when it comes to ads in games. Some players really dont like them and will give a negative review, but it pays the bills.

@AragornSG, how much did you spend on a CPI campaign? We spent about 5000 GBP on an amazon campaign and reached position 48. But it only gave us an extra 800 downloads each day due to the higher rank, and the arpu dropped. Possibly because a lot of users were just installing the game through curiousity.
    We increased the CPI from $0.5 to about $1.5, but the initial $0.5 was enough to start us climbing the ranks during the week days. We couldn't get enough download volume though. Reached about 2500 downloads per day.

Have you used admob before on amazon? With CPC I only see the option to download iOS or google play apps, I can't add my own 3rd party app store link.

• aamontreeaamontree Posts: 17New Users *
    November will mark a year since I started seriously monetizing my applications and it looks like I'll have made a little over 4k. Before then all of my applications were free and a few were monetizing through iAd but I would be lucky to pull in more than $2 a day. I had never thought to make my apps "paid" until I realized I had nothing to lose by doing so. I am by no means "successful" in the realm of monetization but $300+/month is a nice extra spending money for a student! I'm a one man team right now but if I ever have an idea I truly believe has potential I will higher a designer.
    aamontree wrote: »
    November will mark a year since I started seriously monetizing my applications and it looks like I'll have made a little over 4k. Before then all of my applications were free and a few were monetizing through iAd but I would be lucky to pull in more than $2 a day. I had never thought to make my apps "paid" until I realized I had nothing to lose by doing so. I am by no means "successful" in the realm of monetization but $300+/month is a nice extra spending money for a student! I'm a one man team right now but if I ever have an idea I truly believe has potential I will higher a designer.

How many apps do you currently have?

aamontree wrote: »

I remember when I first released Go Chick Go on iOS. It only had iAds for monetisation and I was excited to bring in some money. I'd read some articles about successful developers and how iAd can bring in $1000 a day. I think it was the flash light article about the guy who made $1800 in one day. The on the first day I made $0.02, lol. it broke my heart but i quickly started to adapt and make more apps. Now making more money after 2 and a half years, but I have about 20 games available on iOS, android, amazon, and smaller app stores. Each has ads, in app purchases, and tapjoy.

• aamontreeaamontree Posts: 17New Users *
    I currently have something like 10 or 11 apps in the Apple App Store but I'm thinking of pulling most of them. Most of my revenue comes from 2 of my apps and I don't have time to support the others. It seems like "ASO" is all that matters these days so I'm trying to see what I can do for my apps (Keyword optimization and localization). My goal right now is to double what I'm making by the end of the year. I have a few ideas on how I'm going to do that but it's going to be difficult nevertheless.
    Yeah, I've heard and read a lot about how important ASO is.
    brod1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard and read a lot about how important ASO is.

I think ASO is having less impact this past year or so. Without a good app / game which has good ratings, it's still tough to get a lot of downloads. I think retention will also have an impact and the number of users who keep your app on their device (not uninstall it).

maccyfin wrote: »
    I remember when I first released Go Chick Go on iOS. It only had iAds for monetisation and I was excited to bring in some money. I'd read some articles about successful developers and how iAd can bring in $1000 a day. I think it was the flash light article about the guy who made $1800 in one day. The on the first day I made $0.02, lol. it broke my heart but i quickly started to adapt and make more apps. Now making more money after 2 and a half years, but I have about 20 games available on iOS, android, amazon, and smaller app stores. Each has ads, in app purchases, and tapjoy.
    When you released your apps did you already include ads, IAP, and tapjoy, or did you add these on later after you had somewhat of a user base?
  • KeysKeys Posts: 190New Users @ @
    Earning enough to pay my mortgage and a bit more.

At your age this is definitely worth doing while you have the time, interest and ability to pick things up quickly. These are skills great for your future whether or not you make much money now.
    Keys wrote: »
    Earning enough to pay my mortgage and a bit more.

At your age this is definitely worth doing while you have the time, interest and ability to pick things up quickly. These are skills great for your future whether or not you make much money now.

Cool, how long have you been making apps?

• maurrubiomaurrubio Posts: 41New Users @
    edited October 2013
    I make about 12 to 16k a month, I just have one app in both platforms, Android and iOS, it was the first app that I made, and the only one I ever released.

Until the end of this year I'm planning to release my new app, it's an AMAZING !!!! app, I'm really happy with the direction it's taking, I hope to make even more with it, let's see.
  • esotericesoteric Posts: 617Registered Users @ @ @
    maurrubio wrote: »
    I make about 12 to 16k a month, I just have one app in both platforms, Android and iOS

Curious to know how much of that 12 - 16K a month is iOS and how much from Android?

Also how are you making most of your money off the iOS version? Do you have ads in the free version or are you making most of the money off people buying the full 1.99$ one?
  • maurrubiomaurrubio Posts: 41New Users @
    esoteric wrote: »
    maurrubio wrote: »
    I make about 12 to 16k a month, I just have one app in both platforms, Android and iOS

Curious to know how much of that 12 - 16K a month is iOS and how much from Android?

Also how are you making most of your money off the iOS version? Do you have ads in the free version or are you making most of the money off people buying the full 1.99$ one?

Before I was making slightly more on Android as it was released first, now the iOS version caught up and it's basically 50/50.

I have a free and a paid version, the only ads that I have in the free version is for the user to buy the Pro version, no external ads, and the full version is $ 1,99.
    What is the name of the app?
  • JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
    Lapse It ?
    Yes, that would be it.

It looks like a very high quality app, unlike a lot of the crap in the iTunes store.

Haven't downloaded it yet, but I can see why he's doing so well with it.