Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you make selling apps?

brod1brod1 VirginiaPosts: 26New Users @
Hey guys, I'm 14 years old (15 by the end of this month) and I have a fascination with computers, tech, etc. I'm also very entrepreneurial. So I'm thinking about learning ios development and I wanted to know if there is still any money to be made in this field. I recently read (this) discussion started by paluter. It definitely would motivate me to learn app development but the problem is that the discussion was in 2011. I keep hearing people say that the "app gold rush" is pretty much over. Is that true? I know it's probably not as easy as it used to be to make a profit in the app store but I figured if I put in the time it's still possible.

I hate asking questions like this but if you're willing can we use the same format as paluter? (you can pick and choose what questions you want to answer if you'd like):

Average amount of money made monthly or yearly:
App developing is your profession:
How many people are part of your dev team:
How long have you been programming:
How long have you been in the app store:
Paid app or free:

I will probably learn to make apps whether there is money there or not because I think this type of thing is fun. But being able to make a profit from the (fun) hard work would greatly motivate me!

I'm not asking how much I will make because that obviously depends on my apps and how well they are created. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(btw please don't waste your time telling me my age is an issue because I really won't listen. And this is my first post so try not to rip me apart TOO much, just a little ;) )

Thanks in advance! -brod1

Replies

• RhadeRhade Posts: 661Registered Users @ @ @
    Not a development question. Moved.
    Do not quote questionable posts.
    Do not post moderator requests in public. Send a PM.
    vvvvv ---- Use the flag button to report spam.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,621New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Actually, your age is an advantage.

The earlier you start, the better.

This is true for anything in life.

Most developers on this board probably make enough to pay the rent and other bills. With the earlier long time developers doing better than newbies.
  • brod1brod1 VirginiaPosts: 26New Users @
    That's the way I've always thought :)
  • savannasavanna Posts: 270New Users @ @
    For someone of your age I would expect your financial commitments to be small, so a relatively small amount of money to you is a bigger deal than it would be for someone whos been in the industry a few years for example.

So given that, for you I'd say its worth a shot. If you enjoy that sort of work anyway I think giving it a go is a no brainer. The beauty of it is that once the apps are done and on the store you just get an income. Sure you'll do some support etc and have to update them occasionally but its not like working at the local pizza place in your summer holidays.

Learning about passive income is a good lesson, so do it for that reason as well.

In short, do it.
    Okay thanks savanna! I have been reading about how the average app developer is making less money but since I don't have a family or house or anything to support passive income would be fine.
  • AnthoTAnthoT CanadaPosts: 11New Users *
    I am 16.. Have made about 150$ since I started in August. Best of luck to you!
    Thanks Antho! What type of app(s) did you make?
  • abd5353abd5353 United StatesPosts: 29New Users @
    If you want to make money on your first app make your app free and use Admob.
    Okay I'll look into that, what do you think about Admob compared to other app advertising alternatives?
  • abd5353abd5353 United StatesPosts: 29New Users @
    Admob is really good. However if Abmob does not work try using iAd or Chartboost.
    Okay thanks!
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    You can still make money, but it is not super simple any longer(never was for me anyhow).

My advice - if you decide to go for it, stick with it and just keep trying stuff and learning from your mistakes/successes. Just like anything else in life. Also, there is a ton of information on these forums that can be helpful, just need to wade through the non-sense.
    Yeah, this forum looks like it has all kinds of helpful information I can go to.
    brod1 wrote: »
    Thanks Antho! What type of app(s) did you make?

Hockey apps haha.. A game and a meme viewer

• ipodphoneipodphone Posts: 298Registered Users @ @
    When I started at age 16 three years ago I made 200k total. Now I'm 19 and pull in <10 a day.

At the beginning of the store, anything would sell, and if it was any good it would make bank...
    ipodphone wrote: »
    When I started at age 16 three years ago I made 200k total. Now I'm 19 and pull in <10 a day.

At the beginning of the store, anything would sell, and if it was any good it would make bank...

Sorry, $10 or $10k?

ipodphone wrote: »

200k at 16! :O your a legend
    +1 to that!
    That's not really that unusual.

In the early days, a lot of developers made that much money. There just weren't many apps in the store then.

For example... flashlight apps and fart apps, made a ton of money. Even though they were crap.
    Yeah, too bad that's not the case now!
    I know, the trick is to find the next big thing, and get in on the ground floor.

You're young, and motivated... so you'll have no problems learning the ropes.

Making much money though, with the appstore as saturated as it is, will be tough.

But, even if you don't make much money, creating apps is a wonderful and fulfilling way to express yourself. And you pick up a bunch of skills that you can monetize along the way.

The exciting idea of finding the next big thing is actually what got me started on this. I kept seeing so many people making money with fairly simple websites and apps. I kept thinking "I could have thought of that if I could code" and "I thought about that a month before I saw it" so instead of sitting there I thought I should start learning. Then after learning some HTML, CSS, and a tiny bit of Javascript I realized I enjoyed working with computers and I should try learning Objective-C and make apps.
    You'll do well.

You're way ahead of the curve.

And lucky you... based on your age, time is in your favor. ;)
    Yeah at 14 your definetly ahead. By the time your 16 you will have lots of experience and will probably make a great app that will do well :)
  • JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
    Just double check one thing: I have heard from other young developers that they had to use their parent's information in order to sell apps because they were too young to sign the contracts. This might depend on what country you live in.