Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Push Notifications for Advertising/Promotion Purposes?

I know this may be crossing the "line" mentioned by Apple as to if this is allowed, but I was wondering to what extent advertising is allowed on Push Notifications.

I recently received a push notification from a game similar to Flappy Bird called "Splashy Fish" as follows:
ADDICTED? Splashy Fish presents
Cookie Clickers!
Download for FREE!
This linnked to the app store to an app that wasn't even by the same developer as Splashy Fish. After looking at the Store Stats on the App Annie site, this Cookie Clickers app has risen 386 positions in the overall free category, presumably as a result of this promotion.
This whole scenario seems to clearly violate App Store Guidelines 5.6:
Apps cannot use Push Notifications to send advertising, promotions, or direct marketing of any kind
So is this just another case of an app slipping under Apple's radar? It seems that many apps use this as advertising. Or, does this comply because it is in some way indirect marketing rather than direct marketing?
Even if this specific case violates 5.6, is there a way to advertise using push notifications that does comply with the rules?

Replies

• RudyRudy Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1,787Registered Users @ @ @ @
    It's not allowed and could technically get his iTunes account banned. Will it happen? I doubt it
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @
    We used to get spammed like that by Tiny Toys. Then one day we noticed that Tiny Toys no longer had any apps in the store and their account was gone. But they were still selling on Google Play.

Conclusion... Account got banned.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,002Registered Users @ @ @ @
    Maybe this is Local notification, not Push one?