Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Charging to send a text message?

gles8705gles8705 Kansas CityPosts: 2New Users Noob
Hello! We're putting an app together that will allow the user to send a text or email of a personalized cartoon to someone. We're wanting to charge .99 for a user to do so per email/text.

Can we do that or does a text message/email fall under iOS built-in capabilities as spelled out in the dev guidelines 11.8?

Developer Guidelines 11.8:
"Apps that use IAP to purchase access to built-in capabilities provided by iOS, such as the camera or the gyroscope, will be rejected"

Thanks so much for your help! We're really confused about all of this.

Replies

• mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    Hmm that is a good question. Certainly sounds like a gray area. Why not charge 99 cents for a "Save credit" which lets the user save it to their device then they can do what they want with it.
  • gles8705gles8705 Kansas CityPosts: 2New Users Noob
    edited March 2014
    Hey mediaspree. Thanks for the suggestion! We'd link them to a personalized animated css/html page, so I don't think they could save it to their phone for use however they wanted.

I appreciate the help!
  • mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    Right the "save credit" could allow them to save it to your server. Only saved cartoons can be emailed etc. This way you aren't charging to use the email or text functionaly but charging to save...is how you could defend it if it were to be rejected :)
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,237Registered Users @ @ @ @
    if its something unique that you can't get from standard text message, it would likely be allowed. for example texting to an account rather than a phone number. however good luck getting customers to pay 99 center per message. I think the current going rate is about 99 center per year of text messages.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @
    RickSDK wrote: »
    if its something unique that you can't get from standard text message, it would likely be allowed. for example texting to an account rather than a phone number. however good luck getting customers to pay 99 center per message. I think the current going rate is about 99 center per year of text messages.

I'd have to agree with this... why would a customer want to pay $0.99 for each text message. Most would feel this should be free.