Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sudden spike in downloads, possibly fake !

angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 261New Users @ @
Hi,

One of my apps gets around 15 downloads a day, normally. The first time its opened it phones home and gets the user a login etc.

95% of those that itunes connect report as download actually open the app, so itunes connect shows 15 downloads and my server sees around 14.

Yesterday I had 150 downloads seen on my server, but itunes connect reports 733!

Anyone any ideas on why so many download but dont open.

Thanks

Replies

• Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 420Registered Users @ @
    There are sometimes delays in ITC reporting.
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 261New Users @ @
    Thanks for the responce, but I am not saying ITC is behind. I am saying ITC shows many more downloads that I think really occurred, or that my server saw.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 205Registered Users @ @
    Is this a free app?

Presumably your app has had a feature somewhere (a review or a mention on a popular portal maybe). In this case a lot of people will download it just because it is recommended, and will not necessarily need it or or use it straight away.

People who have explicitly searched for and installed the app are much more likely to use it the same day as they are actively looking to fulfil a need or solve a problem.
  • RudyRudy Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1,787Registered Users @ @ @ @
    I often download apps and not try them for weeks (especially free apps but sometimes even paid apps).

Looking at my phone I actually have a few RPGs that I downloaded for $2.99-4.99 and still haven't launched them after over a year since I purchased them (I will, I just don't have time right now)
    Good point. Yes the app is free. So maybe recommends convert into actual uses less than searches.

MY app has popped up on some Japanese review site which I think has caused the spike.

Thanks.
  • ZhenyaZhenya Posts: 127New Users @ @
    Are you sure those are regular downloads, not volume downloads? Volume downloads could be made by a school or a large company. They are usually marked as 'PC' in iTunes Connect vs 'iPhone' or 'iPad'. That's the way they buy/download software centrally and then distribute it among the devices using some sort of management software.
    I'm seeing plenty of those lately.. The biggest one was 50K. Too bad that happened for the free version of my app. :)
    I see 60% from ipad and 40% from desktop, but this is normal. I am seeing the numbers tail off a little now.

Thanks everyone...