Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Becoming a developer

AragornSGAragornSG Posts: 336Registered Users @ @
Last weekend my first game, Dragon Lords, turned three. Since that day three years ago completely changed my life I started reminiscing, sat down and wrote the story of how it happened.

Maybe someone here will enjoy reading it, maybe it'll inspire someone, maybe it'll be a good reason to talk about the "good, old days". :-) I just wanted to share it with people on this forum, since this is where I found a lot of help and encouragement during the two years it took to make Dragon Lords (and after it was released).

Here is the post:
http://www.mds.pl/becoming-a-game-developer/

Thanks for everything guys! :-)
Dragon Lords: MMO Strategy for iPhone & Android
http://www.DragonLordsMobile.com

Replies

• CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 643New Users @ @ @
    Cool article and congrats on your success. I always wondered how much of a task it is for you game developers to get the artwork done for your projects and how expensive it must be! Even just for my captioning app it was a major chore to get nice, professional looking artwork done.
  • RudyRudy Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1,787Registered Users @ @ @ @
    Cool to hear your story, it's always nice to hear from people from this forum who managed to make it big.
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    Grats on your success. Living the dream :)
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    What a great story. Congrats on your success. The part about the artwork was an eyeopener, as was the part where the two of you could no longer do it without hiring some help. That just tells me, you have done deservedly well. Having read your posts over the years, it's interesting and inspiring to see what it has evolved to.
  • iosandwiniosandwin MumbaiPosts: 374New Users @ @
    edited August 2014
    A great story of success, and it tells me real success doesn't come easy to say the very least and there are a lot of big sacrifices to be made along the way. What moved me was the extreme attention to detail and quality.
  • freelancer77freelancer77 the worldPosts: 101New Users @ @
    hey, thanks for sharing, this is inspiring.
  • AragornSGAragornSG Posts: 336Registered Users @ @
    Thanks guys! :)

Art is the biggest expense in this project (if you don't count your work as a programmer). The cost of artwork for a game like Dragon Lords or Heroes, with this level of quality and done in resolution which allows using it for promotional purposes, goes into tens of thousands of dollars. It was a BIG risk to take back then, but I think that without this art the game would not be such a success. Good artwork doesn't guarantee a success, however its lack is almost a certain failure.
  • EvaldoRossiEvaldoRossi Posts: 77Registered Users @
    Congrats @Aragorn! Very, very inspiring! :)
    WordData - App Store Optimization
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 823Registered Users @ @ @
    AragornSG wrote: »
    Last weekend my first game, Dragon Lords, turned three. Since that day three years ago completely changed my life I started reminiscing, sat down and wrote the story of how it happened.

Maybe someone here will enjoy reading it, maybe it'll inspire someone, maybe it'll be a good reason to talk about the "good, old days". :-) I just wanted to share it with people on this forum, since this is where I found a lot of help and encouragement during the two years it took to make Dragon Lords (and after it was released).

Here is the post:
    http://www.mds.pl/becoming-a-game-developer/

Thanks for everything guys! :-)

You were a huge inspiration when I started developing. At first I only created "regular" apps but last year I finally took the leap and created my first game. Games are a pretty big risk but can be a great reward. I love being able to call myself a game dev so thanks for the inspiration.
    Touchmint wrote: »
    You were a huge inspiration when I started developing. At first I only created "regular" apps but last year I finally took the leap and created my first game.

Thanks! :)

Congrats on your game, it was a great launch!
    How are you doing with it right now?
    Yea the launch went great and I still tend to sneak into the top 100 role playing so not too bad. Defiantly my best selling app overall so I am pretty happy with it. While it took a bit longer than some of my other apps to make I wrote the whole engine so building sequels or other games off it shouldnt be too bad.
  • savannasavanna Posts: 267New Users @ @
    Do you with experience of games on iPhone believe that a quality/fun game will always make enough money to make its development worthwhile? Or is the category too saturated?

Do losers and winners in the game space on this platform deserve it?
    savanna wrote: »
    Do you with experience of games on iPhone believe that a quality/fun game will always make enough money to make its development worthwhile? Or is the category too saturated?

Do losers and winners in the game space on this platform deserve it?

I stayed away from games at first because it is a very very saturated market. I think there is money to be made but you need to do a lot right. You need to have a solid product where the product is needed. Just making a great game is not enough these days, you need to standout and its hard when there are so many other games.

As for spamming the app store with cloned mini games I hear that can work but I cant say ive traveled down that path.
    savanna wrote: »
    Do you with experience of games on iPhone believe that a quality/fun game will always make enough money to make its development worthwhile?

Quite contrary. It's VERY difficult to make a profitable game. Like Touchmint said, you have to get a lot of things right and even then it's a coin toss, unless you have a good marketing strategy or help yourself somehow.

There is money to be made and good money too, but the risk is great.