Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In-app purchase preview

Hi folks

So I'm going to add an in-app purchase and I wonder if it is necessary (in sense that the in-app purchase won't pass the app store validation these days) to provide some kind of sandbox, where the user can try the purchase before buying it? The purchase in my app is something similar to what a colour theme in a keyboard app is (the simplest example I can remember). For that example it is possible to either present a smaller picture of the keyboard showing the colours, or activate a dummy text field so that the user can actually try it.
Yes, I understand, that the correct way is to provide a sandbox, but as long as I have some doubts, that the purchase is going to sell well, I'd stick to the easiest acceptable solution.

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,547New Users @ @ @ @ @
    The simplest solution is to unlock that feature for a limited time period... 15 minutes perhaps, so that the user can play with it. Not sure though if Apple would approve it, as they don't like time limited features... such as trial periods. On an IAP though, that may not apply.
  • id256id256 Posts: 60New Users @
    @dev666999 Thanks for the idea, I'll think of it. Btw, I haven't encountered with such approach as short trials so far, is there any app, that uses it?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,547New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited November 2015
    Not that I know of. In general, trial limited apps get rejected by the Apple Review Team. However, usually they know about this because the developer mentions the word "trial period". In your case, you can have a button next to the "Buy" button, with a caption such as "Try it". Keeping it on for 15 minutes, is more than enough time for the reviewer to review, and then move on to other items in your app. Meaning... he may never notice the shutdown after 15 minutes.

And to prevent users from gaming this "Try it", limit it to only one try, or perhaps a few tries. Then shut it down permanently. You can use BOOL or a counter to do this.
  • efndzefndz SpainPosts: 13New Users *
    Hey @id256, did you finally manage to do something about it?
  • id256id256 Posts: 60New Users @
    @efndz I think I'd try to submit the simplest one, and make it more complex only in case they reject the simpler.