Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Most Helpful" reviews aren't sorting properly--bad reviews get stuck toward the top of the list

I've emailed Apple about this several times over the past 12 months, and they insist that it isn't a bug. Go to iTunes on your computer where they allow you to vote on reviews. Here, you can see the most helpful votes on each review. Look at the Clash of Clans review list. Notice how the default Most Helpful setting doesn't sort by "helpful" votes. It also doesn't sort by most recent.

Here's the bigger problem: I've noticed on a few of my apps that bad reviews will somehow stick toward the top of the Most Helpful list even though they have no votes--some of these reviews are from several weeks ago. Since Apple sorts the default mobile App Store rating list with these same "Most Helpful" results, this is a major problem, because I will sometimes get bad reviews stuck to the top of my review list.

Essentially, Apple claims that their "algorithm" is correct, which means they supposedly have an arbitrary method of sorting reviews (I think it's a low priority bug based on the low priority they put on the needs of developers). How are they choosing to show certain reviews toward the top of the Most Helpful list, even though they have no votes, and even though they are older? In my experience, once a review is stuck to the top, it will not move (until you push an update, of course).

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    So what. Suck it up. It's Apple. They'll screw you any way they can - either through sheer incompetence, indifference, or outright BS.

Your complaint is an old and valid one. And we've all been there... and suffered from it.

Apple is all about Apple. Not you, not me... just Apple. They really don't care about you the developer, unless you're a big shot.
  • dev2009dev2009 Posts: 3 Noob
    dev666999 wrote: »
    So what. Suck it up. It's Apple. They'll screw you any way they can - either through sheer incompetence, indifference, or outright BS.

Your complaint is an old and valid one. And we've all been there... and suffered from it.

Apple is all about Apple. Not you, not me... just Apple. They really don't care about you the developer, unless you're a big shot.

I agree with everything you said. I would think more devs would contact Apple about this, since bad reviews pinned to the top clearly hurt sales. Bottom line is there aren't enough of us complaining, because Apple has shown in the past that they will bend if there is enough outrage about certain things.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    dev2009 wrote: »

I agree with everything you said. I would think more devs would contact Apple about this, since bad reviews pinned to the top clearly hurt sales. Bottom line is there aren't enough of us complaining, because Apple has shown in the past that they will bend if there is enough outrage about certain things.

Call me paranoid, but...

I have in the past complained to Apple about things like these. And when I did, I noticed that I no longer ranked on the charts. It was like they hit a switch and removed me in some way. I suspect... and this is only a suspicion... that they may have two or more category of servers. One for their favorable clients, and the others for their regular or "problematic" clients. They appear to bury the problematic ones.

EBay does this routinely to their sellers. It is a dark but well known "secret" in the industry.

No visibility. No sales.
  • dev2009dev2009 Posts: 3 Noob
    Again, I agree with you. I believe Apple is extremely vindictive, especially those who are on the review team. I have personally seen them single out certain devs (making them change the titles of their app to hurt search ranking), while allowing others in the same field to violate the same exact "rule."

I guess Apple's iron fist not only controls the media, but it also controls 99% of the devs who have made the iPhone successful.
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 257 @ @
    To be vindictive requires competency.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 494 @ @
    edited May 7
    it's May 2017 and problem never got solved, as expected.
    Call me paranoid, but...

I have in the past complained to Apple about things like these. And when I did, I noticed that I no longer ranked on the charts. It was like they hit a switch and removed me in some way. I suspect... and this is only a suspicion... that they may have two or more category of servers. One for their favorable clients, and the others for their regular or "problematic" clients. They appear to bury the problematic ones.

My supsicion too. And definitely with the App Review process. I feel that they have some clowns working in their B team.