Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

App Store "Paid Search Results"

Replies

• tmongytmongy Posts: 93New Users @
    Yeah if this sh** is true, it's going to be really ugly.

Why don't they fix the freaking search algorithm first? It performs as if two high school kids coded it :/
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,605New Users @ @ @ @ @
    astersdo wrote: »

How do you spell G.R.E.E.D?

A.P.P.L.E

• angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 261New Users @ @
    Reading this sent a shiver down my spine.
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 261New Users @ @
    Plus, the reason this is a big problem is as follows:

Apple will recoup the 70% developer share because developers will be forced to compete with each other to get visibility. Apple will be both paying the 70% and taking it back in the form of paid listings.

This will erode any margin. We will dream of the day we used to get 70%.

It would be like Amazon competing against its own third party sellers and taking a cut from the third party sellers, o wait, thats what they do and margins are squeezed to death!

• JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
    This is something Google has been doing for a little while now...
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    angelapps wrote: »
    Plus, the reason this is a big problem is as follows:

Apple will recoup the 70% developer share because developers will be forced to compete with each other to get visibility.

It's a business. Of course developers must compete. I'd rather have 60% of a lot than 70% of nothing.

As @JonPM points out, Google has done this. Exposure costs money. Apple has still a lot to learn from Google in terms of relevancy but this could be the start of it.

Ideally it should filter out the apps that aren't worth spending marketing budgets on. It won't be perfect until the other problems in Apple get fixed though.

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • wingnowwingnow Posts: 16New Users *
    edited April 2016
    It's kinda like "Hey, developer, you have to paid for yearly license, you have to paid for ad, you have to paid for search ranking, and your app should be offered to everyone for free".

Supermarket have a similar approach, the manufacturer need to pay such that supermarket will offer a position for the product. But you know what, manufacturer didn't offer the product for free, and more importantly, shelf position is limited.

I seriously think Google and Apple has gone too far. They will finally ruined everything they have got.
    Post edited by wingnow on
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    @wingnow I half agree with you in that the Google "sponsored" search results look less appealing than before. However, when I look at the iTunes charts on my iPhone, the paid list appears by default all the time and I must change if I want to see the free charts.

Most people do agree that Apple gets it wrong so often. On one side you can have as many apps as you like for the $99 yearly fee, on the other hand that leads to a lot of similar or exact apps, but with different names, being released by the same developer, flooding the store.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
    edited April 2016
    @apppicker.com In fact, the store is so full that everyone is complaining, many developers feel hard to survive and despair such that just make more junks or clones or re-skin the old one, and while the others hard to search for a new decent app. If Apple introduce this, only could benefit the big title more, but not helping what the app store is facing nowadays. Maybe Apple never think of fixing this, only would like to earn more, who knows.
  • freelancer77freelancer77 the worldPosts: 101New Users @ @
    the search algorithm and discovery sucks, and its on purpose. what better way to get struggling developers to buy ads??
    I wish Apple would chart $199 per year per app
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 177New Users @ @
    I also wish that Apple and Google would charge an annual fee for each app. They should also charge A LOT more to become part of the developer program. Charge people thousands to join the developer program, not $100.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 150New Users @ @
    As @JonPM points out, Google has done this. Exposure costs money. Apple has still a lot to learn from Google in terms of relevancy but this could be the start of it.

and android developers make 10% or so of what iOS developers make, so are developers benefiting from such "exposure" ?

be careful of what one wishes for, someone will always have deeper pockets to spend,

search is broke, not the advertising for results, you can spend right now to advertise your app... and the same type of spending will result if Apple were to do it. mostly the advertisers make the money.. the people selling you the shovels (ads) while the developers dig.. and dig.. and dig more.....

Charge more won't help, only make Apple earns more from developers. They can charge you more, but still discovery sucks.
    wingnow wrote: »
    Charge more won't help, only make Apple earns more from developers. They can charge you more, but still discovery sucks.

I think if Apple charged $500/yr per app published we wouldn't see so many Flappy Bird clones with graphics made in MS Paint
    edited April 2016
    JonPM wrote: »
    I think if Apple charged $500/yr per app published we wouldn't see so many Flappy Bird clones with graphics made in MS Paint

But there are already many shitty apps in app store. If they now charge $500/yr per app published, it is still overcrowded and I don't see anything would happen. It's just another way to lose money.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 627New Users @ @ @
    Thing is, then a bigger fish comes along and says they wish Apple should charge $100,000 a year.
  • FDAppsFDApps Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    How about a "new release" section again! Old App Store and view before Chomp was so much better.