Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you still make a living from your apps?

2»

Replies

• CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 631New Users @ @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »

I don't understand how subscriptions are going to be such a big deal. That seems like it'll be really bad for the consumer and will just reduce the amount of paying customers. It doesn't seem like there many genres of apps where people would be willing to pay subscriptions.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,583New Users @ @ @ @ @
    CoDEFRo wrote: »

I don't understand how subscriptions are going to be such a big deal. That seems like it'll be really bad for the consumer and will just reduce the amount of paying customers. It doesn't seem like there many genres of apps where people would be willing to pay subscriptions.

I'm just as puzzled by this new Apple change as you are. Subscriptions would work in some categories, but most other categories would have the user upset at the expense.

New developer worries... will non-subscription apps get even less exposure than they are getting now? Food for thought.

• CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 631New Users @ @ @
    CoDEFRo wrote: »

I'm just as puzzled by this new Apple change as you are. Subscriptions would work in some categories, but most other categories would have the user upset at the expense.

New developer worries... will non-subscription apps get even less exposure than they are getting now? Food for thought.

What has me a little hopeful is the fact they're willing to change the commission rate for something. Maybe tomorrow they will announce the reduction of the commission rate for all developers from 30% to 25% ? One can dream.
  • tomgood887tomgood887 Posts: 126New Users @ @
    For me, I pay nearly nothing on marketing. As the article said, it's 4-16 to aquire one user and it's expensive for indies like me. But for the past years, I still can earn some revenue from appstore. I am not sure what happend next months, and also start consider do android together.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    tomgood887 wrote: »
    For me, I pay nearly nothing on marketing. As the article said, it's 4-16 to aquire one user and it's expensive for indies like me. But for the past years, I still can earn some revenue from appstore. I am not sure what happend next months, and also start consider do android together.

I'm not sure that they are correct in those $4-$16 numbers as I would think $1-$4 would be more realistic.

However, as the industry evolves and assuming the subscription model makes sense to more and more developers, the fight for users will only increase, raising acquisition costs further. Indie developers will have to acquire users more through earned channels than paid ones in order to survive unless they change their business models to compete.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • rijeka2008rijeka2008 Posts: 117Registered Users @ @
    edited June 2016
    I will invest more time in developing my own new apps/ ideas and see what will happend, thank god I have additional job as ios developer that pays bills :)
2»