Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to Mac App Store??

raymngraymng Posts: 2,000Registered Users @ @ @ @
Except Mac App Store, any popular websites you would go to find Mac Apps? Download.com maybe?
Since I don't want to rely on Mac App Store too much.. hope to find other popular places to promote my Mac apps.

Thanks!!

Replies

• apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,000Registered Users @ @ @ @

Thanks, but those websites are reviews based, doesn't look like Mac App Store or Download.com.
  • smashingsmashing Posts: 281Registered Users @ @
    There is a difference between a place to promote your apps and hosting. You use those sites that @apppicker.com listed to direct people to your site where you have self-hosted the app.
    Time Calculator+ the best time calculator in the world.
    How can I use those sites to promote my apps? I can't simply submit my apps to those sites, just like Mac App Store..
  • UIUsUIUs Posts: 164Moderators Admin
    Your question, as usual, is a bit vague. Please give more detail, so that members on this board can give you a useful answer. Your current question is somewhat of a fishing expedition.
    UIUs wrote: »
    Your question, as usual, is a bit vague. Please give more detail, so that members on this board can give you a useful answer. Your current question is somewhat of a fishing expedition.

I just found one today: https://www.macupdate.com/
    I mean if I want to market my apps outside of Mac App Store, any websites are popular? So I can submit my apps to there or spending some money to marketing it there.
  • voidzonevoidzone europePosts: 54Registered Users @
    I mean if I want to market my apps outside of Mac App Store, any websites are popular?

No, not really. All the download directories pretty much became ghost towns (traffic wise) once the Mac App Store started. We submit our software to those sites but the traffic they send is totally irrelevant. (5 or so visits/day).

We also tried their paid promotion services - absolutely not worth the money.

I'm afraid you will have to promote your app on niche-relevant sites or do SEO/SEM or Facebook/twitter (if your intended users are there).

Getting your Mac app infront of users who are not in the Mac App Store is the hardest part nowadays really.
    rep_icns.png Miss Appviz 2? Try Suborbital Reports. App Store report aggregation and analytics for your Mac.
    voidzone wrote: »
    I mean if I want to market my apps outside of Mac App Store, any websites are popular?

No, not really. All the download directories pretty much became ghost towns (traffic wise) once the Mac App Store started. We submit our software to those sites but the traffic they send is totally irrelevant. (5 or so visits/day).

We also tried their paid promotion services - absolutely not worth the money.

I'm afraid you will have to promote your app on niche-relevant sites or do SEO/SEM or Facebook/twitter (if your intended users are there).

Getting your Mac app infront of users who are not in the Mac App Store is the hardest part nowadays really.

Did you try https://www.macupdate.com/ ?
    They seems quite good, should be able to create traffic.
    Yes. And they don't generate much traffic.
    rep_icns.png Miss Appviz 2? Try Suborbital Reports. App Store report aggregation and analytics for your Mac.
    edited June 2016

Too Bad, so we have to stick with the Mac App Store..!?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,547New Users @ @ @ @ @
    raymng wrote: »

Too Bad, so we have to stick with the Mac App Store..!?

You're not stuck with anything. The choice is yours as to what you want to do. Problem is getting the results you want. So, start your own website, that pushes your apps. Figure out a way to get traffic to that site. Link it to the app store. And if you can do that, and have a compelling product to sell, you will make money. It's not easy, but at the very least, you're not "stuck with the Mac App Store".
    @dev666999 is so right. You're not stuck with it. So many ways to promote your app. What have you done so far? What worked and what didn't work? As @voidzone points out, there's no reason to use sites like https://www.macupdate.com/ as the business logic for their existence almost evaporated after the opening of the Mac app store.

The 3 sites I listed specialize in Mac apps. Maybe promote your app through them?
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
    @dev666999 is so right. You're not stuck with it. So many ways to promote your app. What have you done so far? What worked and what didn't work? As @voidzone points out, there's no reason to use sites like https://www.macupdate.com/ as the business logic for their existence almost evaporated after the opening of the Mac app store.

The 3 sites I listed specialize in Mac apps. Maybe promote your app through them?

So far I only rely on Mac App Store, but I want to try to promote the Mac Apps outside of MAS, the three websites you mentioned seems to be editor review based, how can I use them?
    Ask for a review? I think the chance is very small..
    For Amazon, I don't see they have an app store specific for Mac App.
    Zero chance if you don't ask. Guaranteed.
    Yeah, you want your software to get reviewed. Not because the review would generate much traffic - but because you can use the review as 'social proof' on your product page. Sticking a "4.5 Macworld" rating next to your buy button will boost your conversion rate.

Now how you get them to review your app is a completely different story. But I think it's easier for new Mac apps because there's not so many of them.

And as apppicker.com said: The chance of success is 0 if you don't try.
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, you want your software to get reviewed. Not because the review would generate much traffic - but because you can use the review as 'social proof' on your product page. Sticking a "4.5 Macworld" rating next to your buy button will boost your conversion rate.

Now how you get them to review your app is a completely different story. But I think it's easier for new Mac apps because there's not so many of them.

So my question is how can we generate traffic except Mac App Store? Does it mean we have to rely on Mac App Store for mac apps?
    raymng wrote: »

So my question is how can we generate traffic except Mac App Store? Does it mean we have to rely on Mac App Store for mac apps?

You don't need to rely on Mac store at all. Indeed, relying on the Mac store or Appstore is one of the main reasons developers/apps don't succeed as well as they should.

There are 3 basic categories for generating traffic. 1) Own it 2) Earn it and 3) Pay for it.

1) Owning it means actively creating and promoting funnels and channels that will lead to exposure and resulting downloads. Social media, a website that you use to promote your app, SEO techniques to rank your website in related searches.

2) Earning it means making an app good enough that other people will promote purely because it's interesting for their own social media followers or visitors to their blogs etc. Of course they would need to find out about your app so write to them. This is essentially what you will try to do with the 3 Mac blogs above. If you get reviewed then make a big banner on your website and mention it on your app details page. As @voidzone points out, this "validation" would increase conversions.

3) Paying for it would mean advertising either by adwords, banner advertising on relevant websites, advertising on relevant apps etc.
    Any successful stories?
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 262Registered Users @ @
    I dont think anyone is making any money with apps for MacOS.

If you want a place to sell games for MacOS you have Steam.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality