Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ugh stop featuring the same boring apps Apple!

Whenever I look at the list of featured apps every day now, I keep seeing them featuring the same apps that I've seen for the past year, over and over again. Especially in categories like photo and video, business, health and food. Serious, all those apps look the same and its stupid. If I have one app for recipes why do I want another one that looks exactly the same? If I ahve one emoji keyboard why do I need another one? Some of these app has been featured constantly for months. Can't Apple feature something new and different for once? I don't want these app months ago and I want even less now because I see them over and over again on the frontpage.

You can't tell me there has been nothing new since. this is lazy or maybe they should encourage their small indie devs to make new and interesting things a little more than ignoring them. I'm especially sympathetic to indies because they have to try 100x harder than triple As and in the end, some of them might have a good app but no one knows about it because Apple's too busy featuring Cartoon Network's latest crap app that crashes all the time. Then the indie feels like their time is being wasted making apps, they go off to develop somewhere else and mobile apps continue to get worse.

Apple should have a permanent an indie developers section on the frontpage. Each week or something, pick different apps that feature the best that indies have put out. I'm always wasting hours trying to find a game or some other app that doesn't suck and its impossible. The search and the store need a huge overhaul and when I heard their bright idea to fix everything was to introduce search ads, I was like WTF?.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here or maybe this is a sign that people are just more than happy to ignore legitimately good small time apps while throwing their money at some bad apps that Apple just loves featuring 10x over, but I hope there will be some meaningful change sometime. If I have to see another stupid celebrity emoji keyboard I'm going to scream though.
Tagged:

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 268Registered Users @ @
    As a consumer I think that featured apps are worthless. I have the same list that I dont even notice if it changes for months and it seems like the same 5 apps. I remember when they had a list of new apps that came that day I was installing all the time. Now I dont even bother. Im too lazy to search, and it always lands on some game from 2009 that doesnt even work on my 6 Plus.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • asadvertisedasadvertised WYPosts: 3New Users Noob
    I agree, the App Store featured list is junk now. Looking at it again today, and I'm once again let down by their picks for "Best" New Apps.

A bunch of education games for kids that aren't relevant to me because I don't have kids. I downloaded a handful a few months back when I needed to entertain my niece and most were a rip off. It is like they dumb down the game apps for older users, strip features out then brand it as Educational for kids and we're supposed to be happy about that.

There's another emoji keyboard which I swear has been up there before. Scrivener, which I've used before on desktop. It's fine as a desktop writing tool, maybe I'm stuck in my ways but typing up a sentence on my phone feels like I'm tying my fingers into knots, but maybe other people have a better time typing on their phone or tablet than me. I'm also not about to buy it for $20 on my mobile device when I already paid for it on my computer.

As for the games, maybe I'll try Snakebird because it looks cute and colorful, not really into the other indie offerings but I'm glad there's a few up there. As for the rest of the list: the people who made Two Dots up there again, We got a Glu game, a Disney Emoji game (seriously?), Freaking Cartoon Network again, Batman, Talking Tom endless runner and DoubleFine. Ho hum.
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 167New Users @ @
    edited July 2016
    It's who you know, not how good your app is. End of story. That's why feature list never changes.
  • wingnowwingnow Posts: 16New Users *
    edited July 2016
    That won't help.

First, Apple don't care about small developers. Most profit that Apple gained are from <10% of total no. of developers. If you are not in that party, there is no place for you to complain.

Moreover, do you still believe in app economics? At least I don't. I already stay away from mobile development, that is way too overcrowded and has severe competition. The app economics is no place for an indie developer without luck or connections or AAA products (which is not very likely). Even those who are making some money, I seriously doubt whether they can cover their development cost. The severe competition and "make a fortune from app" story have been used to produce more cheap labors like us (mobile developers), and maybe these are all intended, expected and under control.

Thirdly, there are already many apps/games that no one can complete them all in their entire life, so who cares about mobile apps/games? In terms of demand and supply curve in economics, the supply is way too much, much more than the demand in the market. As a results, apps/games are more like toilet papers, which is a disposable product.

And from a research (hope I remember correctly), >60% app discovery are from organic search. But Apple always changing its algorithm / app discovery approach (nearly every year). So even if you have a decent amount of downloads now, it is possible everything vanish tomorrow. Even if you have an AAA product, a single change in search algorithm could become a disaster to your business. Just like I previously have 2 small quiz that are slightly climbing up every week, but suddenly, my hopes are are gone after an algorithm change.

Finally, try to make a comparison with how youtuber / website making money, and you will see the approach of monetization in mobile game is close to a scam. Develop an app / game takes months, and it is very hard to retain a user, yet, you have to keep it for free. Record a youtube, updating a website (e.g. write an article) takes much less time, but it's monetization is the same as making a decent stupid app / game, that is make money from advertisement!

Let's do a simple calculation, such that you can see the big picture more clearly. If you write an article everyday, and each with 0.5 impression per day, then after a half year, you will get 90 impressions per day in the website. Don't forget web organic search is way better than app store search. If you can write a good article (or produce some special contents that people loves), with some promotion, the impressions could be even more better! Also, if you are selling something in the web, your profit won't share 30-40% with a stupid enterprise too! Not even mention updating is way easier, no need to buy a mac, no need to paid for the developer license per year, no need to beg for a 5 star, no need to buy several devices (mobile/tablet), and high app / game maintenance cost (e.g. debug / add new contents).

Of coz, this is not a rocket science calculation, and I am not convincing anyone to start recording a youtube or write a blog, since there are also many struggle youtuber / blogger too. Just trying to state out an example to show how mobile app / game is so not worth the effort.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited July 2016
    If you really want to see how bad things are, go to Flippa.com and see all those apps for sale at pennies on the dollar. Most of those apps were dying in the App Store, so end up breathing their last gasp in the bargain bin at Flippa, much like old DVDs at Kmart. All hoping for a new sucker to buy and revitalize them.

This is truly the race to the bottom.

https://flippa.com/apps/ios-apps
    Post edited by dev666999 on
  • OddballOddball United StatesPosts: 118New Users @ @
    wingnow wrote: »
    That won't help.

First, Apple don't care about small developers. Most profit that Apple gained are from <10% of total no. of developers. If you are not in that party, there is no place for you to complain.

Moreover, do you still believe in app economics? At least I don't. I already stay away from mobile development, that is way too overcrowded and has severe competition. The app economics is no place for an indie developer without luck or connections or AAA products (which is not very likely). Even those who are making some money, I seriously doubt whether they can cover their development cost. The severe competition and "make a fortune from app" story have been used to produce more cheap labors like us (mobile developers), and maybe these are all intended, expected and under control.

Thirdly, there are already many apps/games that no one can complete them all in their entire life, so who cares about mobile apps/games? In terms of demand and supply curve in economics, the supply is way too much, much more than the demand in the market. As a results, apps/games are more like toilet papers, which is a disposable product.

And from a research (hope I remember correctly), >60% app discovery are from organic search. But Apple always changing its algorithm / app discovery approach (nearly every year). So even if you have a decent amount of downloads now, it is possible everything vanish tomorrow. Even if you have an AAA product, a single change in search algorithm could become a disaster to your business. Just like I previously have 2 small quiz that are slightly climbing up every week, but suddenly, my hopes are are gone after an algorithm change.

Finally, try to make a comparison with how youtuber / website making money, and you will see the approach of monetization in mobile game is close to a scam. Develop an app / game takes months, and it is very hard to retain a user, yet, you have to keep it for free. Record a youtube, updating a website (e.g. write an article) takes much less time, but it's monetization is the same as making a decent stupid app / game, that is make money from advertisement!

Let's do a simple calculation, such that you can see the big picture more clearly. If you write an article everyday, and each with 0.5 impression per day, then after a half year, you will get 90 impressions per day in the website. Don't forget web organic search is way better than app store search. If you can write a good article (or produce some special contents that people loves), with some promotion, the impressions could be even more better! Also, if you are selling something in the web, your profit won't share 30-40% with a stupid enterprise too! Not even mention updating is way easier, no need to buy a mac, no need to paid for the developer license per year, no need to beg for a 5 star, no need to buy several devices (mobile/tablet), and high app / game maintenance cost (e.g. debug / add new contents).

Of coz, this is not a rocket science calculation, and I am not convincing anyone to start recording a youtube or write a blog, since there are also many struggle youtuber / blogger too. Just trying to state out an example to show how mobile app / game is so not worth the effort.

I like it, I like it.
  • asadvertisedasadvertised WYPosts: 3New Users Noob
    edited July 2016
    wingnow wrote: »
    That won't help.

Yes, I agree with you, wingnow. Funny thing is, I am a blogger too and run three blogs for fun and make some pocket money from them. I got into app dev to try something new and the blog I made to market my app actually makes more money than the app :(. So far, my app has made around $40 over 4 months. The blog that supports it made $150 in ad revenue + affiliate share in 3 months. It's not a lot of money, but that is pretty sad when you look at the blog posts I do takes me 15-30 minutes and the app took me 6 months to make. I am also not anywhere near making back my money invested in app dev because I do not just need to make back the developer fee from Apple but also over $800 spent on advertising and marketing.

That is part of the problem isn't it? I feel like a lot of good indie developer jumped ship because even with a marketing plan, your app will keep needing more support to make it unless Apple sees you "worthy" to feature. And if you are not one of their friends or AAA red carpet people, you are not going to be noticed. I don't blame the indies at all. It is just too bad because Apple and Google too are doing nothing to encourage better apps or to help indie devs. They just want to keep letting everything race to the bottom.

I don't like app flipping business. Yeah, its really depressing. I can only hope those guys are suffering the same way people who try to make their own unique product are now because they are part of my problem IMHO. Flippers are part of the reason why when I want to find a new and interesting game, I see 1000000+ match-threes or flappy bird clones.