Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50 Character Limit - o dear

Replies

• CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 627 @ @ @
    I'm still trying to determine the fall out for my app from this. Initially, it was bad but over the weekend I did a reevaluation of my keywords and cut out a lot of dead weight. I made sure to squeeze in as many keywords as possible in the 50 word title (even renamed my app) and submitted two updates as I was trial and erroring. Today it seems like my sales rate is normal, so I think at worst I'll have only lost a little bit off of my revenue, though really need about 10 days to get a good idea.

@ethanwa Completely agree and as usual they always have to try and be sneaky and activate these changes right before either the memorial day or labor day weekend. This completely ruined my weekend as I wasn't sure if my source of income would be obliterated or not. Also lost quite a bit of revenue over the past 5 days which will have an impact on my final total for the month. Don't understand why they couldn't have fired out a warning at the beginning of the summer.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,002 @ @ @ @
    Yes, some people have over 50 apps, how can they handle so many updates in so short time..
    savanna wrote: »
    The review guidelines say

"App names must be limited to 50 characters and should not include terms or descriptions that are not the name of the app"

I think people are reading too much into this, but its not at all helpful in the way its worded.

If you take it literally, it basically makes no sense. How can an app name include anything that isn't the name of the app? Its the app name! By definition, the 'app name' is the name of the app… it is not possible for the 'app name' to be anything other than the name of the app, or to contain anything other than the app name.

I would expect a reasonable name would be fine, even if it includes some description element. The 'app name' would be '<title> <description>', which is ok, but '<title> <keyword list>' is not. Its one of those things where you know it when you see it. BUT that means we're down to the discretion of a reviewer.

I think unless you're seriously trying to get away with something obviously 'keyword list like' in your app name it will be fine.

Except the 50-characters limit, anything new in the new guideline?? Thanks.
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 97 @
    edited September 2016
    Looks like as a side effect Appannie keyword tool is no more useful. They are showing apps for keywords which are not visible when you search on Appstore.

Edit: And maybe other sites as well??? Anyone else can confirm?
  • SeanyKSeanyK Posts: 186 @ @
    edited September 2016
    Whatever they have done to search algorithms has completely messed things up, they can't just fix the things that need fixing they end up making it worse again, the store has been in dire need of fixing for the last 3 years, ever since they dumped the 'sort by' fields etc in the app store (was that back in iOS 6 or something?!) it's been useless.
    It's always the same games / apps featured, and the new releases are not even new half the time.

I totally understand and agree with limiting the character set, but they have done other stuff because even apps that do not have 50 characters are being massively affected by it.
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 720 @ @ @
    edited September 2016
    I've definitely noticed a big drop for Tuesday's numbers (and my weekend was slightly lower than expected, but not too bad). At this point I can't tell if Tuesday was bad because everyone went back to work after the 3-day holiday and no one bought apps, or if this truly is a sign that I have a keyword issue now.

I'll have to see if it plays out like this through the rest of the week until next Sunday. If so, I too will have to make some major adjustments quickly on Monday to get some updates out and hope for the best.

On a higher note, today marks my 8-year anniversary for me being a member of this site. 8+ years of being on my own and working from home on app development (my own stuff, not contracted) and I'm still here... hoping for at least another 8 to come!!
  • markofjohnsonmarkofjohnson California USAPosts: 133 @ @
    ethanwa wrote: »
    today marks my 8-year anniversary

Congrats. Me too! And pushing hard with something new for iOS10!
    markj.net & focusedapps.com
    Hit Tennis & Super Txt
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 814 @ @ @
    Congrats on those 8 year anniversary!

I've been asking for this limit on every forum and in every feedback review I've gotten from Apple for years! Glad to see they listened although I wouldn't mind seeing it at 30 characters. Your title shouldn't really have any keywords slipped into it. I admit I'm guilty on a few apps but overall I'm in the clear on most of my titles.

Seems search fixes have been working for apps that dot have spammy titles my sales have been slightly up about 10-20% since the change and I assume they will get even better with time. Glad to see them doing something to help the Devs of the App Store that arnt just reskinning and spamming the store.
    So far Wednesday and Thursday look average. I don't think I've been affected all that much. I only have a handful of apps with the keyword stuffing, so I'll just fix those in the next update and move on with my life.

Personally I'm more excited about:

- Them getting rid of old apps that haven't been updated in years (when will this start happening???)
    - App ads. I hope this helps me drive more installs!
    - Subscriptions for all apps
    - Subscriptions at the 85/15 cut after the first year

All great changes! Hopefully more to come.
  • JonPMJonPM Posts: 159 @ @
    This is totally not fair. I should be able to name my calculator app "OMG BEST CALCULATOR ANGRY BIRDS JUSTIN BIEBER KARDASHIAN ZOMBIES" if I want to

• angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 257 @ @
    But thats only 64 characters, you want may more words than that >:)
    edited September 2016
    After this weekend's numbers (which were TERRIBLE) it does look like I have also been affected by the 50 character limit on a small handful of my apps that just went over the limit (I lost 2-3 critical words on a few apps). Just ONE of my apps costs me $100 just on Sunday alone. Yikes!

Hopefully my updates this week will recover my drop off.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    After this weekend's numbers (which were TERRIBLE) it does look like I have also been affected by the 50 character limit on a small handful of my apps that just went over the limit (I lost 2-3 critical words on a few apps). Just ONE of my apps costs me $100 just on Sunday alone. Yikes!

Hopefully my updates this week will recover my drop off.

Here's the irony.

When I submitted titles as long as yours, I got rejected repeatedly by the reviewers. I am talking using the same format as yours, not at all spammy, just an extended description after the title.

So, I gave up on that and used shorter titles. My sales suffered because of that, cause I could not compete due to Apple's f*cked up review process.

So now with Apple favoring 50 characters or less, my sales are up. Go figure.

I suspect yours will recover nicely, once you shorten that 100 plus character title.

FWIW... I don't think what you and others did on this board was spamming, just that Apple's review process sucks to sh*t.

Spamming is what @JonPM just posted above, no matter the length of the title.

We live in an imperfect world, with Apple leading the charge.
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 814 @ @ @
    Yea the sad thing is Apple is so slow to react and so slow inconsistant to give a clear answer on what's right or wrong that Devs actually benefited from the long titles. Everyone was doing it I believe something like 20 out of the top 100 free apps were over 50 characters. Not just spam apps but even google maps title was stuffed with keywords and over 50 characters.
    My ad revenue with Admob has plummeted completely and shows no sign of recovering, has to be impression related and lower downloads, this may sound a silly question but how are you guys gauging how apps are affected, in iTunes connect, I see red, and green (pluses and minuses) for various apps, but it's hard to judge as it's green one day, red the next etc, what sort of date range is a good guide to set it to, to then work out which apps to start (hurrying) updating with better keywords etc?
  • IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469 @ @
    Big drop in downloads for me after I updated the app. Guess it was because I lost the reviews for the current version but not too sure.
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
    Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
    London Photography - London Photography
    Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes
    I too have since a drop since updating the app post 50 chars, but it will take some time to know for sure.
    Well, I can now confirm that certain Apple review employees WILL reject your app for keywords EVEN if it's under 50 characters in length. I just had two of my apps rejected today.

This is going to kill my ability to get shown in relevant searches. Why can't Apple just give us 200 characters for the keyword field?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    Well, I can now confirm that certain Apple review employees WILL reject your app for keywords EVEN if it's under 50 characters in length. I just had two of my apps rejected today.

This is going to kill my ability to get shown in relevant searches. Why can't Apple just give us 200 characters for the keyword field?

That totally sucks. Been there, done that. Looks like it's still business as usual with the Apple review team. And I'm sure if you were to appeal it, they would still deny you. :(
    So can we all 100% confirm that apps with titles longer than 50 characters will definitely be ranking lower / less downloads?

I say this, as i've probably about 10 apps that are over 50 characters (some by one word, some by two or three) but when I look at download data it's still going up / down a bit, so it's not like straight down if that makes sense?

(even though overall my app downloads have tanked massively!)
  • Well it all depends on what you have in the title. If your important keyword is beyond 50 characters then you will see a hit otherwise it doesn't matter.
  • markofjohnsonmarkofjohnson California USAPosts: 133 @ @
    Anyone seen evidence that the second language keywords are getting lower ranking than they used to? I moved a keyword from English to Spanish MX and it ranking dropped. But hard to tell with everything in process of changing currently.
    markj.net & focusedapps.com
    Hit Tennis & Super Txt
    I am seeing some very strange behavior.

I have two apps which are basically the same, one was updated for 50 characters and its ranking worse than the one I have left as is.

First 50 chars is the same on both, as is the keywords.
  • IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469 @ @
    Example of the download chart after I made the changes. Apple really needs to sort this crap out. My app was ticking along nicely after not updating it in nearly 2 years and loads of 5 star reviews. I do the update, don't really change the keywords and see my downloads consistently half. Thing is I'm not sure what is causing it, im guessing it is reviews related but to be honest that is a guess. I have at least 6 apps that currently earn me money but I don't wont to update and improve them because of this exact reason.

wz0wltqkdkd0.png
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
    Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
    London Photography - London Photography
    Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes
    Example of the download chart after I made the changes. Apple really needs to sort this crap out. My app was ticking along nicely after not updating it in nearly 2 years and loads of 5 star reviews. I do the update, don't really change the keywords and see my downloads consistently half. Thing is I'm not sure what is causing it, im guessing it is reviews related but to be honest that is a guess. I have at least 6 apps that currently earn me money but I don't wont to update and improve them because of this exact reason.

wz0wltqkdkd0.png

Apple won't care about you and us..