Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50 Character Limit - o dear

angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 259New Users @ @
I am seeing some evidence that this is now in effect. I am not showing the in the search results for terms beyond 50 characters in my title.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Time to re-write the titles!
Tagged:

Replies

• iekeiiekei Posts: 563Registered Users @ @ @
    I've made some two keyword searches where no apps show up at all where there should be twenty or more legit ones. It could be that search is temporarily broken.
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 259New Users @ @
    That what I see also, words at the end of my titles that are uncommon now return 0 results.

Someone else on another forum has posted something similar.
    What I meant was some common keywords in short titles weren't giving any search results temporarily. It now seems to work again though.
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    Seeing the same thing here for a couple of my apps - terms past the 50 word count not coming up in search. Exciting times!
    And some more two keyword searches are showing up totally unrelated apps for me. That is for A B order. B A order shows what you'd expect.
    Its so ironic, I have had a very long app title for 2 years. A major competitor went from 30 characters to over 130 just a week ago. Look like they wasted their time!
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 631New Users @ @ @
    edited September 2016
    Thanks to the OP for pointing this out.

This is going to be the end of me. I wonder how much of my revenue / downloads was dependent on this? I remember a couple of years back when I took the keywords out of my title completely, my revenue was halved. It's funny I was just about to write a new post telling people to watch out for September 1st, that's when the algorithm monster usually gets me. I'm about to have a heart attack right now. I'm hyperventilating. Deep breaths.
  • SeanyKSeanyK Posts: 188Registered Users @ @
    Im seeing a massive drop in downloads since yesterday, when do they usually fiddle with the algorithms? Is it every September, or just every start of each month?
    SeanyK wrote: »
    Im seeing a massive drop in downloads since yesterday, when do they usually fiddle with the algorithms? Is it every September, or just every start of each month?

It seems usually around memorial day (late May) and labor day (early June).

Is it possible your drop is due to your keywords getting cut out of the title?
    Wow I'm getting killed today, if this is any indication of what's to come, I seriously doubt correcting my keywords is going to make that big of a difference. I'm definitely taking a loss, I just don't know how big. And to top it off, I'm trying to submit an update but can't since Apple (for the 4th time in recent memory) failed to communicate with iTunes Connect about the security update, and now it's not recognizing my new binary.
  • SeanyKSeanyK Posts: 188Registered Users @ @
    It could be although whilst I've seen a drop I am judging it by my admob earnings, which have dropped by half or more, yet my downloads have not dropped by that amount - although they have definitely dropped a lot, I don't generally keyword stuff the titles I suppose a few apps and games have longer titles but most of them within the limit, typical app development, just get beaten down all the time, peaks and troughs are a total understatement.
    The peak been just the start of the trough :'(
  • rglrgl ScotlandPosts: 13New Users *
    I've apps that have the last keyword in the title just past the 50 char limit, and can confirm that those apps no longer appear in search results containing that keyword since Sept 2nd. It looks like Apple are forcing everyone to move to the new world quickly by truncating the relevant keywords. You either reform your ways quickly or lose out.

That's also when every other keyword combination I monitor jumped up the search rankings, so the effect is already apparent - a huge chunk of search term matches have now been removed from the store.

Probably will only really affect the spammier apps out there long-term, but we could do with more than 100 characters in the keyword list, which is after all why devs were driven towards the title field in the beginning (ignoring the increased weighting these still have over the 'proper' keyword list).

I'm also wondering about what they're saying about a title not being able to have a description stuffed in it (from the updated review guidelines). Are they just going to monitor the 50 char limit automatically, or is a reviewer going to subjectively decide how much of your title is a title, and how much is a description? I guess we'll only find out once we start submitting apps under this new regime. Are we going to have to find every more imaginative ways to get keywords into our titles?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    rgl wrote: »
    I've apps that have the last keyword in the title just past the 50 char limit, and can confirm that those apps no longer appear in search results containing that keyword since Sept 2nd. It looks like Apple are forcing everyone to move to the new world quickly by truncating the relevant keywords. You either reform your ways quickly or lose out.

That's also when every other keyword combination I monitor jumped up the search rankings, so the effect is already apparent - a huge chunk of search term matches have now been removed from the store.

Probably will only really affect the spammier apps out there long-term, but we could do with more than 100 characters in the keyword list, which is after all why devs were driven towards the title field in the beginning (ignoring the increased weighting these still have over the 'proper' keyword list).

I'm also wondering about what they're saying about a title not being able to have a description stuffed in it (from the updated review guidelines). Are they just going to monitor the 50 char limit automatically, or is a reviewer going to subjectively decide how much of your title is a title, and how much is a description? I guess we'll only find out once we start submitting apps under this new regime. Are we going to have to find every more imaginative ways to get keywords into our titles?

They've been doing this for years now. I've had numerous apps rejected where the reviewer specifically stated that the description part in the title were keywords and needed to be removed or moved to the keyword section. When I argued that everyone else was doing this, they simply said...

"It would be appropriate... blah blah blah...."

End result... do as we say, not as we do.

That was no bot. That was the reviewer making the call.
    I thought they only used this if your description looked like a spammy list of keywords, or was so huge a user could never read it all. A short descriptive sentence with careful keyword placement seemed to work. However, since they rewrote the review guidelines and I haven't read the whole thing through in ages I forget how they worded this.

Still, I'm slightly concerned they're suddenly going to be much stricter on this. And yes, subjective reviewer decisions like the ones you've had are just shit. If the rules were applied consistently it might be a bit easier to take.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    rgl wrote: »
    I thought they only used this if your description looked like a spammy list of keywords, or was so huge a user could never read it all. A short descriptive sentence with careful keyword placement seemed to work. However, since they rewrote the review guidelines and I haven't read the whole thing through in ages I forget how they worded this.

Still, I'm slightly concerned they're suddenly going to be much stricter on this. And yes, subjective reviewer decisions like the ones you've had are just shit. If the rules were applied consistently it might be a bit easier to take.

My titles were not spammy at all. And yet, the reviewer got anally retentive on me and forced me to remove most of the title. It's the luck of the draw as to who reviews your app.

50 characters is still much too long for a descriptionless app title.
    edited September 2016
    @iekei I think they're open to people having a little mini description. I passed a review over the weekend with a short description.
    I had a metadata rejection a bit before the change was announced, so I shortened the name a bit and it quickly passed. Previous versions used the same name with no issues, so I was surprised and wondered whether there was a policy change and whether to dispute the rejection or not.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,015Registered Users @ @ @ @
    I read that

http://www.gummicube.com/blog/

"Starting September 7th, all app titles will be limited to 50 characters maximum. Live apps with titles that exceed 50 characters will be subject to warning from Apple. If within 30 days of receiving a warning the offending title hasn’t been updated, the app will be kicked off of the store. "

Anyone can verify this?
  • Martin8Martin8 Posts: 19New Users *
    edited September 2016
    raymng wrote: »
    I read that

http://www.gummicube.com/blog/

"Starting September 7th, all app titles will be limited to 50 characters maximum. Live apps with titles that exceed 50 characters will be subject to warning from Apple. If within 30 days of receiving a warning the offending title hasn’t been updated, the app will be kicked off of the store. "

Anyone can verify this?

I don't think this is correct. In the email that Apple sent to all developers on September 1st 2016 they say: "App names you submit in iTunes Connect for new apps and updates will now be limited to no longer than 50 characters."
    dev666999 wrote: »
    My titles were not spammy at all. And yet, the reviewer got anally retentive on me and forced me to remove most of the title. It's the luck of the draw as to who reviews your app.
    That sucks.
    iekei wrote: »
    50 characters is still much too long for a descriptionless app title.
    And in Chinese it's enough to write a mini novel!
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 725Registered Users @ @ @
    edited September 2016
    This appears to have affected maybe one or two of my main revenue generating apps, but so far no MAJOR problems. Revenue is slightly down over this weekend but it's survivable, especially if I can just adjust. Mainly I'll be missing out on some obscure keywords (or ones I use less often) and some brand names that I added in that have to do with my app. I'll just have to remove those unfortunately.

The biggest problem I have with all of this is that Apple didn't give us a 30-60 day warning so we could change the titles BEFORE they rolled it live. Such an asshole thing for them to do (as usual for them).

My question: Is Apple now looking at keywords within the description of an app like Google does? Or are we still on the title+keywords only thing?
  • savannasavanna Posts: 257New Users @ @
    edited September 2016
    The review guidelines say

"App names must be limited to 50 characters and should not include terms or descriptions that are not the name of the app"

I think people are reading too much into this, but its not at all helpful in the way its worded.

If you take it literally, it basically makes no sense. How can an app name include anything that isn't the name of the app? Its the app name! By definition, the 'app name' is the name of the app… it is not possible for the 'app name' to be anything other than the name of the app, or to contain anything other than the app name.

I would expect a reasonable name would be fine, even if it includes some description element. The 'app name' would be '<title> <description>', which is ok, but '<title> <keyword list>' is not. Its one of those things where you know it when you see it. BUT that means we're down to the discretion of a reviewer.

I think unless you're seriously trying to get away with something obviously 'keyword list like' in your app name it will be fine.

Post edited by savanna on