Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple now sending 30 day notices of old apps to be removed

Replies

• angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 257 @ @
    I have similar old ios usage numbers.
  • bw748bw748 Posts: 100 @ @
    I doubt Apple is giving false statistics. But whether you value that particular stat really depends on who your target market is. If your app is paid with no in-app purchases, then what matters most is users who actually access the App Store, which is what Apple's 97% measures. If your app is free with ongoing in-app purchases or ads, then you would want to support users on older iOS versions, even if they don't access the App Store regularly. But if a user is on a really old device with a really old iOS, then in most cases, they're not going to be buying anything anyways, so maybe an app with only ads and nothing else might prioritize this category of users. In any case, if a user never interacts with the App Store, he'll never update your app, so he can just keep using an old version without updating to a later version that requires a later iOS.
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 720 @ @ @
    I'm pretty sure Xcode 8 can still built for iOS 7. It's not in the Deployment Target drop down, but you can manually type 7.0 in and your project will still build.
  • NiciasNicias Posts: 14 *
    So I got one batch of these on the 15th, and a new batch today (of about the same amount). I expected to be in the clear after the first set but I guess not. Not sure how they are going through them honestly.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    Nicias wrote: »
    So I got one batch of these on the 15th, and a new batch today (of about the same amount). I expected to be in the clear after the first set but I guess not. Not sure how they are going through them honestly.

FWIW... I've gotten a ton of these to date in three separate batches.

Yeah, it sucks!
  • SeanyKSeanyK Posts: 186 @ @
    Same, and one of them I can't recompile in 64-bit without it costing me a fortune for a developer to rewrite an image processing function, the irony being it works completely fine on iOS 10 devices and below, and updating it will add zero feature or functionality changes yet I still need to update ...
    edited September 2016
    SeanyK wrote: »
    Same, and one of them I can't recompile in 64-bit without it costing me a fortune for a developer to rewrite an image processing function, the irony being it works completely fine on iOS 10 devices and below, and updating it will add zero feature or functionality changes yet I still need to update ...

This is Apple destroying your business and livelihood.

Just more, one size fits all crap from Apple.

I'd like to rip them a new headphone jack. ;)
    Post edited by dev666999 on
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559 @ @ @
    I actually can't wait until some competing apps disappear. They haven't been updated in five or more years and despite some of them not even working properly anymore they still rank well on searches because they collected a large number of four and five star reviews back when they were new.
    iekei wrote: »
    I actually can't wait until some competing apps disappear. They haven't been updated in five or more years and despite some of them not even working properly anymore they still rank well on searches because they collected a large number of four and five star reviews back when they were new.

Could not agree more, but what about the ones that still function fine and give the customer what they want?

Apple again is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
    Apple isn't about giving the customer what they want. They're supposedly about giving the customer what they don't know that they want.

If I was in charge, I'd first penalize search for older apps especially ones that were built for non-Retina 3.5" displays but also inform developers in advance that such a penalty would be going into effect.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 268 @ @
    If I was in charge, I'd first penalize search for older apps especially ones that were built for non-Retina 3.5" displays but also inform developers in advance that such a penalty would be going into effect.

I think thats covered in the "iOS Human Interface Guidelines".

Also "Apple isn't about giving the customer what they want. " Apple is removing old
    apps that dont work anymore on iOS 10 or new devices. Why should those apps still be sold on the store.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
    dev666999 wrote: »

Could not agree more, but what about the ones that still function fine and give the customer what they want?

They are going for old apps by Crash Reports. Why do you think they are removing "ones that still function fine".
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 257 @ @
    Crichton333, the crash metric is interesting because my crashes across ALL apps every is 0.

The reason its zero is because my software runs inside a VM and as such crashes are not evident to iOS, only to the VM, so maybe I am immune to this policy!
    dev666999 wrote: »

They are going for old apps by Crash Reports. Why do you think they are removing "ones that still function fine".

Crash reports are just one criteria they use to reject apps. What about all those apps that have normal short titles, that do NOT crash, have no clear violations, and are still picked up by Apple to be rejected with that 30 day deadline.

I find it disingenuous that Apple just kicks out the app, states that it does not comply with current review guidelines, but NOWHERE states exactly WHY the app has been rejected. It leaves the developer flapping in the wind.

Until they do, this is nothing more than an opaque, capricious action, by a huge out of control bureaucracy.

With Apple there is no accountability! Just boiler plate legalese that is one size fits all.
  • marktwomarktwo Posts: 57 @
    edited October 2016
    I need to update an old app that used iAds. It looks like iAds was killed off a month ago.

I used iAds as a selling point. Buy the app, get rid of iAds. Now iAds is gone.
    What are people doing to fix situations like this?

I'm justing looking for a quick fix, as I have less than 30 days to update it.
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 97 @
    marktwo wrote: »
    I need to update an old app that used iAds. It looks like iAds was killed off a month ago.

I used iAds as a selling point. Buy the app, get rid of iAds. Now iAds is gone.
    What are people doing to fix situations like this?

I'm justing looking for a quick fix, as I have less than 30 days to update it.

iAd was removed long back... Just use any other Ad network (e.g. admob, Facebook Audience etc.)
    edited October 2016
    anappdev2 wrote: »
    iAd was removed long back... Just use any other Ad network (e.g. admob, Facebook Audience etc.)

Thanks, which one is easiest and fastest to replace iAds with little or no changes?
    I'm not familiar with anything else.
  • swifter22swifter22 usaPosts: 92 @

Thanks, which one is easiest and fastest to replace iAds with little or no changes?

use facbook audience. Its really easy to setup.
    Thanks. XCode is also giving me a lot of depreciated warning messages, but the app compiles ok.
    Some of these may be too troublesome to fix right now.

Do App reviewers ever reject apps because they use depreciated methods?
    Thanks. XCode is also giving me a lot of depreciated warning messages, but the app compiles ok.
    Some of these may be too troublesome to fix right now.

Do App reviewers ever reject apps because they use depreciated methods?

Generally no, from past experience, but with this new Apple campaign... I'd probably correct any deprecated methods.

I think Mopub also has banner ads, pretty sure its up there with Admob.
    I think thats covered in the "iOS Human Interface Guidelines".
    There's nothing in them about ranking bonuses or penalties.
    I think Mopub also has banner ads, pretty sure its up there with Admob.

Do I actually get paid by Mopub, or are they just a middleman (aka. mediator SDK) ?
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 172 @ @
    Mopub serve ads and also offer mediation. If you show ads served by Mopub you will be paid by them. They are one of the major ad providers, along with AdMob and Facebook.
    I've been doing an old un-updated app deathwatch and none of the apps that I've been watching have yet been pulled. Anyone?