Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple Search Ads (Live Oct 5)

Replies

• CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 631New Users @ @ @
    On one of my very low volume apps (one where I had search match on and it was spending .40 cents a day) today it shows it as having spent over $10 with thousands of impressions, yet I can't see any of the impressions accounted for when I look at the search terms? Has anyone had something like this happen?
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 558New Users @ @ @
    edited October 2016
    Post edited by astersdo on
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 172Registered Users @ @
    Surely hardly anyone uses the desktop to search for apps though. The vast majority will search on device, so I doubt it would make much difference to your downloads.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 498Registered Users @ @
    search ads working quite well for me for one of my apps.
    I can't say it is cheaper than FB, but not bad. I turn the bid price down to really low, like 0.01 and then gradually raise it to get more impressions so that it is just right . My bid is 0.05 right now.
    edited October 2016
    Mega hi install rate! WOW 50% on some !?! What's your highest and lowest?
    My bid is 0.15 but it is moving up all the time now. Start saving ;)
    Post edited by astersdo on
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 725Registered Users @ @ @
    edited October 2016
    I'm relatively new to app advertising (I don't use Facebook installs or anything). What are all of your thoughts on these number for the past 30 days here in October? Good? Bad? Normal?

(open the image in a new window if you need to see if full screen)

ja79jspirftk.png

Will Facebook Ads offer me similar installs?

Here are two issues I'm having:

1. I'm struggling with Apple's Search Ads Attribution API to track conversions that turn into paid users. Anyone have any tips here on how to test that it's working properly?

2. Do installs from Search Ads count towards ranking in the App Store? I'm honestly not seeing a ton of movement in my rank.

3. How do I turn up the dial, so to speak, to get 100's of installs per day rather than 10's?

4. What does TTR mean?
    Tap Through Rate They look like damn fine conversion rates to me. I think you just turn up your bid because it is an auction. I never read the instructions so I am sure somebody will enlighten you further.
  • kbmmankbmman Posts: 6New Users Noob
    edited October 2016
    I'm new to app advertising too and trying out Search Ads as my first attempt. My numbers look like this:

zvezqqele5hc.png

All the apps are free apps with in-app purchases. The big question is the value of a conversion. I have made some estimates based on iTunes Connect App Analytics indicating that the two middle apps give a loss because the average pay-back per download is much lower than the average CPA, while the opposite is the case for the first and last app. But these calculations are only valid if a user converting from an ad has the same average purchasing behavior as other users that downloaded the app.

I'm studying the Attribution API to get more insights, but it is very poorly documented. Anybody here using it?

I would also like to turn up the dial. I have a feeling that Apple is holding back and only showing ads in a small fraction of all searches - perhaps that will change over time?
    63% CR is insane haha. 950 installs for less than $100
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited October 2016
    deleted the ROI comment... should have read his post more clearly. @kbmman already addressed that. :)
    Post edited by dev666999 on
  • kbmmankbmman Posts: 6New Users Noob
    edited October 2016
    To complete the ROI for the first app in my list above:
    • Estimated average revenue per download: $0.15
    • Average cost per download (CPA): $0.09
    • Estimated average profit per conversion: $0.06
    The 950 conversions would then give a profit around $60, which sounds fine - but that was over a period of 14 days corresponding to $4 per day. Not exactly a goldmine or 'insane'. Like @ethanwa I would like to turn up the dial and multiply all numbers by a factor 10. Then it would be a significant contribution to the income from the app.
    Post edited by kbmman on
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 631New Users @ @ @
    If Apple does truly read this board, then I have some suggestions for the mechanism that shows the date:

1) Have the default value be today's date since the data is real time
    2) Fix the bug that resets the date to the default value after you click on a campaign
    3) For the panel that sets the date range, whenever you choose either a start date or end date, it applies the change immediately and then you have to wait for it to set. Then you have to set it again and wait for the other date. Maybe add an "Apply" button to avoid this.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 272Registered Users @ @
    kbmman wrote: »
    The 950 conversions would then give a profit around $60, which sounds fine - but that was over a period of 14 days corresponding to $4 per day. Not exactly a goldmine or 'insane'.

Yea but the point of this should be pushing you up the ranks and getting more organic downloads by ranking higher in selected keywords.

Even paying for Apple Search Ads at a loss should work depending on the overall result.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
    edited November 2016
    But that is the million dollar question. Do Search Ad installs affect your keyword ranking? If they do, then that is promising, but I guess no-one on here has got enough daily installs to know for sure...
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 97New Users @
    It does. Have seen it with one of my apps & also observed similar things for my competitor.
    Oh good. If you can start getting some decent volume without paying a fortune then it may well be worth a trial.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 144New Users @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    But that is the million dollar question. Do Search Ad installs affect your keyword ranking? If they do, then that is promising, but I guess no-one on here has got enough daily installs to know for sure...

Apple appears to be making the same mistake with search ads, that they do with regular search, They are assuming that a "free" app with the same search terms as a "paid" app, must be more relevant to the term, because the "ttr" and "cr" is higher for the "free" app than a paid app.

and after a month of data, Apple appears to now be using this misguided information. giving less impressions to the "paid" app..... it is strange that they would make such a simple mistake like that. (let alone not understand that an "expensive" app would be different than a "less expensive" app)

they have apparently only one extremely misguided criteria... "downloads"...

god help them in their efforts of "Artificial intelligence" if they can't sort that basic idea out.
  • TheMixer1TheMixer1 Posts: 55New Users @
    Is everyone seeing impressions the last few days?
    I think these seach ads are going to get expensive very quickly. So impressions will no doubt die off unless you up your bid. Some bidders will have no problem paying $10 an install.
  • dobrydobry Posts: 287Registered Users @ @
    I've burned my $100 credit. 13 conversations for a $2 app (monthly sales about 35).
  • XaronXaron GermanyPosts: 198Registered Users @ @
    Here are my results so far. I'm pretty satisfied with the results, it's a paid game for $7.99

tjl097l2vmtq.png
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Xaron wrote: »
    Here are my results so far. I'm pretty satisfied with the results, it's a paid game for $7.99

tjl097l2vmtq.png

What's the name of the paid app?

Are the conversions worldwide or just Germany?
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 97New Users @
    dev666999 wrote: »

What's the name of the paid app?

Are the conversions worldwide or just Germany?

I thought search ads are available only in the US. Are these now available outside?
  • XaronXaron GermanyPosts: 198Registered Users @ @
    The name of the app is Silent Depth, it's a submarine simulation game.

The search ads are for US only, so the conversions are US as well. I just used € as currency instead of $. ;)
    That's a very nice ROI. How long did it take to get that many installs?

And is it scalable (e.g. can you turn up the dial and spend €500 a day?