Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple Search Ads (Live Oct 5)

TheMixer1TheMixer1 Posts: 55New Users @
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this from a developer and industry perspective?

A few thoughts:

-This could be an opportunity, especially in the earlier days, for indie devs to fix their user acquisition problem. It will depend on what type of costs per click are being offered.

- That Apple doesn't require an sdk and code integrations along with custom ad creatives is huge. That was always frustrating from my experience.

- I'd imagine that current 3rd party ad networks are not happy.

- How and if Apple prevents companies with big budgets from dominating impressions will be interesting to watch. The Search Ads website mentions a relevancy algorithm and impression restrictions but I somehow doubt Apple will deny King.com from opening up their coffers.

What are your thoughts?

Game portfolio for sale: https://www.fliptopia.com/listings/16480-140k-slots-portfolio-for-sale#notes
Post edited by TheMixer1 on

Replies

• savannasavanna Posts: 255New Users @ @
    I wasn't able to enter my payment information and now the user area of the site returns an unknown domain error. A day before launch. Going well so far.
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 594New Users @ @ @
    Did you guys get an e-mail? I'm not seeing any place to go to sign up.

I'm very scared of this to be honest.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,512New Users @ @ @ @ @
    CoDEFRo wrote: »
    Did you guys get an e-mail? I'm not seeing any place to go to sign up.

I'm very scared of this to be honest.

Yes, we all got the email. With a $100 credit to start. Your fear is well founded. Apple will most likely f*ck this up too.
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 247New Users @ @
    Anyone know how you get the free$100 credit. It does not show in the account area!
    I figured it out, its an email they send you post signup.
  • TheMixer1TheMixer1 Posts: 55New Users @
    So you get your dev fee back & Apple gets you comfortable with spending a lot more ;)

Game portfolio for sale: https://www.fliptopia.com/listings/16480-140k-slots-portfolio-for-sale#notes
    I shall be using the $100 without delay.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,512New Users @ @ @ @ @
    angelapps wrote: »
    I shall be using the $100 without delay.

Let us all know how much bang you get for that $100.
    I shall, I will be bidding low and on many terms with the budged to be used by the expiry date.
    Did anyone's campaign launch? Mine says "system held".

Also, just looked at my units for today (in Google Analytics) and I'm taking a beating. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.
    I think there might be a bug in the app store, when I search for a term, it works but then when I try to scroll through the results I can't. The background to the window is grey. I figured out that you have to tap a blank space on the screen to make it go away so you can scroll.
  • mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    I'm willing to bet it goes live at 9AM Pacific time. 5 mins from now :) I'll check back in here in 6 mins when my $100 will surely be used up :D
  • mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    edited October 2016
    Boom! Enabled...here we go...

Edit...Sorry spoke too soon :D Now in "Campaign On Hold" status (newer that "System Hold"
  • kmkkmk Posts: 449Registered Users @ @
    edited October 2016
    mediaspree wrote: »
    Boom! Enabled...here we go...

Edit...Sorry spoke too soon :D Now in "Campaign On Hold" status (newer that "System Hold"

I'm still getting "System Held" :\
    I am also still system held.
    I'm not seeing any ads in the app store when I do some searches, so I assume they either haven't launched it yet or maybe ran into problems.
    CoDEFRo wrote: »
    I'm not seeing any ads in the app store when I do some searches, so I assume they either haven't launched it yet or maybe ran into problems.

Not seeing any ads here either.
    It's live for me. As of now I'm seeing 18 ad views, 2 clicks, 1 conversion.
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 719Registered Users @ @ @
    So far I'm unimpressed. How long has it been live? Did it JUST go live? Anyone else care to share their numbers? I was hoping to burn through my promo $100 quicky (just to see how many downloads I can get in a day) and so far I've spent $0.70...
    I saw my app appear in an Ad but the data hasn't updated yet, so I guess it takes a little while.
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 719Registered Users @ @ @
    The biggest fear I have is that because Apple targets keywords that are related to an app, paid ads and downloads may end up taking away from downloads I would have gotten organically (and free) anyway.
    edited October 2016
    ethanwa wrote: »
    The biggest fear I have is that because Apple targets keywords that are related to an app, paid ads and downloads may end up taking away from downloads I would have gotten organically (and free) anyway.

Yeah I said this in a thread a while ago, I don't see how this will help me. Just will add another app at the top of each search -- one that stands out because it's being promoted by Apple and whose reviews aren't only limited to its most recent version. I'm just hoping in my sorta small niche other apps don't bother with this, but I have a feeling there is going to be some developers with unlimited budgets who will market the hell out of apps they spent very little time on and will ultimately end up winning the day.

I think it's going to be an arms race that everyone's going to have to participate in if they want to stay relevant, so ultimately, just like that one poster said, it will end up increasing Apple's take to more than 30%
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 92New Users @
    edited October 2016
    There is another possible side effect. The advertising budget of big companies will move to search ads. That means banner/interstitial might get less budget and will have impact on indie developer if they have apps where primary source of income is ads. I am already seeing impact of search ads on competitor apps as their search rankings are going up.
    edited October 2016
    anappdev2 wrote: »
    There is another possible side effect. The advertising budget of big companies will move to search ads. That means banner/interstitial might get less budget and will have impact on indie developer if they have apps where primary source of income is ads. I am already seeing impact of search ads on competitor apps as their search rankings are going up.

Yeah there are so many side effects that could result from this, it's really so hard to know what the entire impact will be. One thing is for certain though, there will be an impact and things are going to change, just not sure how.

I just noticed that the search ads I'm seeing (including my own) don't have screen shots and just list the app description below the title. I wonder if they're having problems with this because that's not supposed to be the behavior. It's supposed to show your first three screen shots side by side. It's also not showing the review count. Weird.
  • ChristieMaiChristieMai BristolPosts: 21New Users @
    My ads status are "Running" but I got 0 impression. I guess that is because I put the CPT too low. What are the minimum CPT to get some impressions?