Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does sales drop after app updates?

rijeka2008rijeka2008 Posts: 118Registered Users @ @
Do you have a problem with sales drop after updating your app?

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Yes. You get less visibility from Apple, because you no longer show any reviews. It's kind of a screwed system. In the old days, it would show reviews for all version when you did an update. The idiotic "powers that be" at Apple decided to screw that. So now the user has to press another button to see all of your reviews. And users tend to be a bit lazy on that. ;)
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    Massively.
  • rijeka2008rijeka2008 Posts: 118Registered Users @ @
    Guess I should wait with updates for some time
  • voidzonevoidzone europePosts: 54Registered Users @
    edited October 2016
    Absolutely. That's why many devs now will hold back updates until it's absolutely necessary to release them. Especially in the Mac App Store where it takes weeks to months to get 5 reviews for the ratings to be displayed again.

Really broken system imho. Prior to the change we were releasing updates with new features on a weekly basis. Now we try to release updates twice a year at most. (Which also means that our direct website version is hopelessly ahead of the MAS version feature wise).

I've created threads about this in Apple's forums but until now nothing happened...
    rep_icns.png Miss Appviz 2? Try Suborbital Reports. App Store report aggregation and analytics for your Mac.
  • id256id256 Posts: 83New Users @
    edited October 2016
    Reviews' disappearance is harmful for sales, that's for sure, but does the number of current version's downloads affect visibility? Or only the total number is taken into account? Any insights?
    Post edited by id256 on
    Anybody?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    id256 wrote: »
    Reviews' disappearance is harmful for sales, that's for sure, but does the number of current version's downloads affect visibility? Or only the total number is taken into account? Any insights?

Your question is a bit ambiguous or somewhat confusing to me. You last version is always your current version. So if your last version for example was done with iOS 8, and not updated since then, if it gets a ton of downloads, it will rank as usual. Apple does give a preference for the latest iOS versions, but the algorithm on that is not clear.

If someone downloads your iOS 8 version and you also allow iOS 7, and that is the only iOS version the user has, it will still count towards your ranking totals.

Hopefully that answers your question?
    Thanks, @dev666999 . Seems, that I really wan't clear. I was asking about versions of the app itself, not iOS. I wasn't sure, if the number of downloads of current version of an app is taken into account by App Store while calculating the app's visibility (if so, an update resets this number and that should affect the visibility), or only the total number across all versions.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 203Registered Users @ @
    I doubt they take into account downloads per version, but you never know. It is the loss of ratings that is the biggest problem by far and something they really should change if they want apps (especially paid ones) to update on a regular basis.
  • voidzonevoidzone europePosts: 54Registered Users @
    Yeah, doubt it too. IMHO the sales/download drops is mainly due to "no rating stars visible" for the user.

Just take a store where you have ratings which disappear to one where you don't have ratings (ex US vs German stores). US numbers drop, German stay the same on average after an update.

Users don't click on app icons where there's no stars visible...

---

Oh, another thing about the store: For some time I had to use an Apple ID tied to a credit card from a small European country. Means I could only shop in that app store - where there is literally 0 reviews (except for a handful of very popular apps).

What an awful user experience it was!

When I searched for a "SSH Client" in the store I got dozens of results. All without even one visible rating star. Unless I really needed an app to do something I just closed the store and didn't buy/download anything.

And when I really needed to find an app I fired up my Mac and looked in the US iTunes store for rating/reviews first before deciding which app to buy. I doubt your average user would do that.

Maybe explains why the international app sales are so abysmally low.

There's so many usability problems with the app stores. I wonder if Apple doesn't see the problems because they suffer from "developer blindness" or if they just don't care because the store is more of a PR gag than a real service?
    rep_icns.png Miss Appviz 2? Try Suborbital Reports. App Store report aggregation and analytics for your Mac.
  • dobrydobry Posts: 296Registered Users @ @
    The advantage of disappearing ratings after update is, that also new apps have a change in App Store.
    The logic is that the ratings reflect the current version of the app and you don't get punished for old buggy versions.

This actually works well for free apps with a reasonable high download volume, since the ratings can come back relatively quickly, but not for paid apps which these days sell in abysmal volumes and take ages to build up the ratings again.

Both the Google and Windows Stores are much more proactive in prompting users to review apps, and the number of ratings is noticeably higher in these stores for my apps. This is another thing Apple could consider.
  • fouldscfouldsc Posts: 398Registered Users @ @
    If you own an Android device you will see apps get updated alot more than on Apple as this stupid wipe the rating/affect your sales does not exist.
    They should do a overall rating, rating this version side by side in the search listing or just overall and show the rating this version when you go inside as it's beyond stupid.
    But what if you had an old buggy version that generated a whole host of 1 star reviews at one point in the past, so your overall rating is 2 stars from 1000 ratings for example. Now it is a 5 star app for sure, but will take weeks or months to get the number of ratings back up due to lower download numbers than in the past. Probably better to have no endorsement at all in this scenario.

This is the argument, but the cons outweigh the pros for me. I mean its getting silly when devs hold off from releasing updates as long as they possibly can.
  • dobrydobry Posts: 296Registered Users @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    But what if you had an old buggy version that generated a whole host of 1 star reviews at one point in the past....
    Reason for removing it from sale and deploy it as a new app.
    Yes, but then you lose all your keyword rankings. You go back to the bottom of the pile which in my experience can be pretty terminal these days.
  • rijeka2008rijeka2008 Posts: 118Registered Users @ @
    My latest version have 3x more features then first edition and it supports iPad. I still feel that it is to risky for me to replace current first edition version on appstore which does sale ok but it does not have any US star rating yet, maybe good thing for 2 months old app.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 150New Users @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    But what if you had an old buggy version that generated a whole host of 1 star reviews at one point in the past, so your overall rating is 2 stars from 1000 ratings for example. Now it is a 5 star app for sure, but will take weeks or months to get the number of ratings back up due to lower download numbers than in the past. Probably better to have no endorsement at all in this scenario.

This is the argument, but the cons outweigh the pros for me. I mean its getting silly when devs hold off from releasing updates as long as they possibly can.

this can easily be fixed to accommodate both situations, you leave the system as is, but you give the developer the option to keep the last "current" reviews on an update.

there by solving both problems, if you had a buggy old update, you choose to wipe current reviews.... if you have just a normal update, you choose to keep "current" reviews.

simple really, why Apple does not do it is the question that the computer from the "hitch hiker's guide....." should have spent the millions's of years calculating... Apple's answer of 42 makes about as much sense...

it not only helps Developers, it helps users too, how does it not? (user see's an old buggy update reviews, but doesn't realize the new version has fixed that, new version has new reviews to show for it, but they are mixed in with old version, so the way Apple has it now, it actually harms the user too, because they are making decisions based on bad data) it would help Apple too, more happy users, means more commissions... (win, win, win)

monopolies, can't live with them, can't shoot them..
    Sounds sensible (although unlikely to happen), but I wonder if it could lead to gaming of the system.

For example a developer releases an ad free version of an app that is perfectly reasonable (i.e. gets no organic reviews either way) and then buys a couple of thousand fake reviews along with installs to boost the ranking and gain momentum. Once the app is established they then release an update that is deliberately spammy with ads and tuned for maximum revenue, while choosing to show the good ratings from previous versions. They will then get a period of high revenue before the bad reviews build up enough for sales to drop off. Not sure if this would actually work as a strategy, but just trying to think of potential drawbacks.
    edited October 2016
    *** PLEASE DELETE ***
    Post edited by astersdo on
    edited October 2016
    *** PLEASE DELETE ***
    Post edited by astersdo on