Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Free" not allowed in app title anymore.

2

Replies

  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 543New Users @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    There are tons of examples updated since this discussion began that show that isn't always the case.

    Maybe it depends upon the reviewer? I might try again. Can you give some examples of these apps so that I can throw them back at Apple?
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 172Registered Users @ @
    Arguably Free is a keyword. It is not related to the functionality of your app in anyway and the user can easily see that it is not a paid app and has no IAPs. This would seem to be a reasonable decision from the reviewer. If every single free app had 'Free' in the title, then it wouldn't be a good user experience...
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 543New Users @ @ @
    I agree Bellissimo, just wish they were consistent. Just noticed my app is much higher up in search results since I dropped "free" so they did me a favour.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 8
    iekei wrote: »
    There are tons of examples updated since this discussion began that show that isn't always the case.

    It takes time for a new rule to permeate through a large organization like Apple. Until then, there will always be exceptions to the rule.

    Example: Long App Titles no longer allowed.

    And even with a new rule, there will be corruption. It is the flaw in rules enforced by humans.

  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 543New Users @ @ @
    Yep I just got pulled up on my support site Meta Data for the first time tonight but it passed yesterday. Definitely hit and miss.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    sparkso wrote: »
    iekei wrote: »
    Was free in your Bundle ID, Sparkso?

    you mean the com.company.appnamefree?
    Yes.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    sparkso wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this the other day: as an app store user, when i look for apps these days, i don't enter "free" as part of the search term anymore.
    I remember when app store first came out, i search "free torch" , "free whatever", but not anymore.
    It's quite likely that most searches these days will end up with a bunch of free apps at or near the top of the search results whether or not "free" is in the app name or keywords.

    Devs aren't normal customers anyway. I don't really know how normal customers search for what they're looking for.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 494Registered Users @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    sparkso wrote: »
    iekei wrote: »
    Was free in your Bundle ID, Sparkso?

    you mean the com.company.appnamefree?
    Yes.

    Nope. no "free" in the bundle id.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    I'm just saying that an app name that's not basically the same as the bundle id is probably the real app name followed by a bunch of keywords and descriptors.
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 24New Users @
    I have recently submitted the app with "Free" in the title and it was fine with Apple
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 543New Users @ @ @
    indie_dev wrote: »
    I have recently submitted the app with "Free" in the title and it was fine with Apple

    I went to appeal and still had to remove mine. Was "Free" infront or after the app name?
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    If "free" was in front or after the app name, then "free" wasn't really the app name. It's a keyword or descriptor.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    If "free" was in front or after the app name, then "free" wasn't really the app name. It's a keyword or descriptor.

    That reasoning is absurd, unless you live in Apple land. A title is a title is a title.

    Example:

    Red Dawn

    Dawn is Red

    Does it really matter where the work "Red" is located?

    Now if I did...

    Dawn - Red, Blue and White

    That I can see but even then, it's still a title.

    I think I agree with an older point of yours... Apple should just limit the number of characters to a reasonable number. As for what is in the title, as long as it does not infringe on copyrights or trademarks, any word should be allowed. You live and die by your titles. Methinks Apple meddles too much with minute bullsh*t.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 543New Users @ @ @
    edited March 10
    iekei wrote: »
    If "free" was in front or after the app name, then "free" wasn't really the app name. It's a keyword or descriptor.

    Can we see a link to your free app that has free in the title but isn't using "Free" to describe the app as being free?
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    I don't have one.

    There are many paid apps that have "(Ad Free)" in their app name, which may or may not be distinguishing themselves from actual free apps with similar names sold by the same seller, and and many others that have are free, free and have IAP, or are paid that have "free" in their app name but the "free" doesn't refer to cost, like "gluten free", "free kick", etc.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    I don't have one.

    There are many paid apps that have "(Ad Free)" in their app name, which may or may not be distinguishing themselves from actual free apps with similar names sold by the same seller, and and many others that have are free, free and have IAP, or are paid that have "free" in their app name but the "free" doesn't refer to cost, like "gluten free", "free kick", etc.

    Exactly... so how is Apple going to determine when you can or cannot use the word Free in your app? Is Apple going to throw out the baby with the bathwater? Or will they make exceptions depending on the meaning of Free? The answer is not good, because it is left up to the reviewers' digression... and we all know how that turns out.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    dev666999, I don't understand your example. I'm glad that we agree on the reasonable length point.

    One solution for this would be to move to a system where there's a short app name, a new 50 character or so length subtitle, and the normal keyword field. The new subtitle field may or may not be valid for searches. Long app names are truncated for search purposes. Human reviewers will still have to approve each field. There's no way around that.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 11
    iekei wrote: »
    dev666999, I don't understand your example. I'm glad that we agree on the reasonable length point.

    One solution for this would be to move to a system where there's a short app name, a new 50 character or so length subtitle, and the normal keyword field. The new subtitle field may or may not be valid for searches. Long app names are truncated for search purposes. Human reviewers will still have to approve each field. There's no way around that.

    I feel that Titles should be left up to the developer. Apple should only filter for obscene and copyrighted words, as to avoid offense and confusion. As for all other words, yes limit the title length but do NOT censor them. Free is a good example. If the developer wants to use it, with so many using that word, it is his/her choice to live or die by it. By that I mean, when too many use the same word, it simply gets filtered out anyway. When was the last time anyone found your app using the word Free. It's your choice to use... how effective is questionable. Water seeks it's own level.

    Summing all that up, I think the reviewer's rejection of Free is both petty and silly.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    Without the fields being approved, battery usage apps will end up in Flappy Bird searches because devs will pad their app names or keywords with whatever is popular at the moment.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    Without the fields being approved, battery usage apps will end up in Flappy Bird searches because devs will pad their app names or keywords with whatever is popular at the moment.

    And there lies the problem with the iTunes App Store. Search is broken. Apple could have fixed this years ago.

  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    The only way to fix it is to have humans properly reject inappropriate metadata.
  • rglrgl ScotlandPosts: 13New Users *
    Free hasn't been any use as a keyword for a long time. I'm pretty sure my testing indicated that if you had a free app, you'd match for 'free' searches just by being free, not by having the keyword.

    However, I'm working towards submitting an update and this uncertainty is somewhat annoying. I've two versions of this app, one 'pro' the other 'free'. I really don't want to drop 'free' from the title, as to me it isn't a keyword - it's a descriptor - it lets the user know they've got the free version, the restricted and ad supported version. Just dropping that from the title makes that less clear for the user, and means I'm going through hoops in support "have you got the one with the green icon, or the one with the yellow icon?", rather than just referring to them by name.

    I guess I can go back to putting a word like 'lite' on instead, but 'free' really worked better on web copy, support pages, marketing etc etc, and yes, changing the title means going through and reverting all of that, or checking that everything still makes sense. And then this has to be done for other localisations too. These retrospective changes (once an app has had a history of years) are a pain.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 11
    iekei wrote: »
    The only way to fix it is to have humans properly reject inappropriate metadata.

    Yes i agree, but Apple's continual creation of new rules based on minutiae, is a problem.

    Banning the word Free is just silly.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 543New Users @ @ @
    My app was "Chess Free". There are in fact other apps called "Chess Free". I wonder if they will now be forced to change the name? Would "Free Chess" have been better? My appeal failed too so is this being rolled out to all reviewers. It is plain odd.
    PS No charges of any form in the app. No IAP's etc.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559Registered Users @ @ @
    Sorry, I thought the app name was a lot longer than that.
2
Sign In or Register to comment.