Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Free" not allowed in app title anymore.

13»

Replies

  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    It is totally pointless putting Free in the title. A Free app can still have IAPs or Ads and unless you put something like 'Chess (100% Free with No IAPs or Ads)' then the users are no more the wiser than if you just called it Chess.

    Agree that if you have Free and Pro versions of an app then it should arguably be allowed as a differentiator. Other than that, Apple are just being sensible to ban this practice. It helps to cut down on unnecessary words and makes app titles look more professional.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    It is totally pointless putting Free in the title. A Free app can still have IAPs or Ads and unless you put something like 'Chess (100% Free with No IAPs or Ads)' then the users are no more the wiser than if you just called it Chess.

    Agree that if you have Free and Pro versions of an app then it should arguably be allowed as a differentiator. Other than that, Apple are just being sensible to ban this practice. It helps to cut down on unnecessary words and makes app titles look more professional.

    So long as it is consistent. If the same rule is applied to everyone then I have no problem with it. The weird thing is that they allow "Free with No Ads" for apps that are full of them :)
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    ok so last week my app got rejected because it had free in the itunes title. So i corrected it, and today they rejected it again saying the device bundle app name has free in it.
    I forgot to update the app name of the binary but would really appreciate it if they say it all at once.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    Rejecting it for the bundle name has to be an error by the reviewer. This is an internal name so irrelevant as far as the review process is concerned I would hope.

    Consistency would obviously be good, but will never happen 100% as long as there are rules which are open to interpretation and the reviewer is a human. They may have a tool which flags up certain words and then the reviewer decides whether it is a problem or not based on the context.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    Rejecting it for the bundle name has to be an error by the reviewer. This is an internal name so irrelevant as far as the review process is concerned I would hope.

    Consistency would obviously be good, but will never happen 100% as long as there are rules which are open to interpretation and the reviewer is a human. They may have a tool which flags up certain words and then the reviewer decides whether it is a problem or not based on the context.

    Or the reviewer is simply a "tool". ;)

    Yeah, they're human.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    sparkso wrote: »

    seriously this site is so underrated in terms of breaking intel. I always hear changes to the app store here first, even faster than devforums.apple.com
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    sparkso wrote: »
    sparkso wrote: »

    seriously this site is so underrated in terms of breaking intel. I always hear changes to the app store here first, even faster than devforums.apple.com

    Couldn't agree more.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 596Registered Users @ @ @
    "Google Photos - free photo and video storage" updated March 23, 2017
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    "Google Photos - free photo and video storage" updated March 23, 2017

    You should post that on Macrumors. Maybe indies get different rules :(
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 390New Users @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    "Google Photos - free photo and video storage" updated March 23, 2017

    Not to be picky, but the "free" in the title refers to the photo and video storage service, NOT the cost of the app itself.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    "Google Photos - free photo and video storage" updated March 23, 2017

    Not to be picky, but the "free" in the title refers to the photo and video storage service, NOT the cost of the app itself.

    Well spotted. Not picky at all. Explains it.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 596Registered Users @ @ @
    There are so many others. I mentioned it before but I don't have the time right now to list them right now.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    just had an app update rejected for this reason. However, it didn't have the word "Free" in any of the localizations, and it took me a while to figure out it's because the Chinese localization does have the word "Freedom" in it in Chinese and it does translates to "Free" also in google translate . The stupidity level of these reviewers is so high that i am actually impressed.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 596Registered Users @ @ @
    These future classics slipped through last month:

    Monstrous Flappy: Dodgy Bird Wings Splashy Flyer Top Game Free
    The Awesome Flappy Monster Cool Addicting Game for Free
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    These future classics slipped through last month:

    Monstrous Flappy: Dodgy Bird Wings Splashy Flyer Top Game Free
    The Awesome Flappy Monster Cool Addicting Game for Free

    i think they do allow Free in the app name if your app doesn't promote a pro version or have IAPs
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 596Registered Users @ @ @
    It looks like they've really cracked down on them recently, although a few FREE plus a bunch of other random keyword ones are still getting through.
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.