Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Free" not allowed in app title anymore.

astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 560New Users @ @ @
How odd is this? My metadata was just rejected because my app title had the word "Free" in it. My app is completely 100% free. Why wouldn't Apple want me to let users know that?

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited February 10
    astersdo wrote: »
    How odd is this? My metadata was just rejected because my app title had the word "Free" in it. My app is completely 100% free. Why wouldn't Apple want me to let users know that?

Because this is Apple being Apple being sh*theads as usual. Or, you got a sh*thead reviewer who is clueless and making up his own rules.

Seriously though, Apple continually rearranges the furniture for the sole sake of rearranging the furniture. It's the whole history of the iOS program... Riddled with this kind of crap. ;)

Apple is probably thinking that since you offer IAPs, the app is not truly free? That's the only reason that makes any sense. The FTC may be coming down on their butts for "false" advertising... so they pass it on down to you.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 560New Users @ @ @
    edited February 10
    I dont offer IAPs. It is completely free. It is bizarre.
    astersdo wrote: »
    I dont offer IAPs. It is completely free. It is bizarre.

I googled your problem, and nothing came up as to rule changes. Did the reviewer quote any rules to you?

They generally always do cite some rule that was broken.

" 2. 3 PERFORMANCE: ACCURATE METADATA

Performance - 2.3.7

Your app name to be displayed on the App Store includes keywords or descriptors, which are not appropriate for use in an app name.

Specifically, the following words in your app name are considered keywords or descriptors:

Free

Next Steps

Please revise your app name to remove any keywords and descriptors from all localizations of your app. Keywords can be entered in the Keywords field in iTunes Connect to be used as search terms for your app.

Please also remember to re-evaluate your app name title to ensure it’s 50 characters or less.

Resources"

Surely "Free" is totally appropriate for a totally free app.
    Looks like it's a reviewer call and not an actual rule. I have been hit with that in the past when I used a few adjectives to describe the game in the title. They told me it was inappropriate for the title, and was considered a keyword. So... was told to remove it from the title and place them in the key word section instead. Upon appeal, it was still rejected. Looks like the word "Free" is now one of those pesky adjectives with certain reviewers. I wish you luck with this as getting this resolved is hit and miss, based on my experience. On some I managed to get it through. On others, not. You just got a "bad" reviewer.
  • oworldoworld aucklandPosts: 1New Users Noob
    I will say : remove the "free", current reviewer will be happy. And 10 mins after it ready to sale, do another update where you add it again :)

Don't fight it, trick it!
    I rejected it and re-submitted. Has to be a reviewer mistake.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 272Registered Users @ @
    Free Willy ?

Free Money ?

Guess that would be a wrong "Free" usage.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
    I've been knocked back again so have appealed. There are a few bugs in the existing version but I may just leave it rather than lose the name yet again. Have appealed but looks like you can't use the word "Free" to describe a free app.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    So it's an update and not a new app?
    Yep it is an update.
  • EccsEccs Posts: 3New Users Noob
    Ok so I'm not the only one.
    Had this happen 2 days ago.

Tried fighting back a bit on it, reviewer was pretty strict on it. They must be changing their tune.
    Is free in the bundle ID?
    edited February 15
    Not in my bundle. Just in my title. The appeal came back and said no.
  • bibi95bibi95 Posts: 22Registered Users @
    Same here, my app has been rejected because the name have the world FREE in it.
    I changed the name, but it is intriguing if Apple don't want truly free apps to stand out from the crowd. Why the change?
    A lot of apps still have ridiculously padded app names. They should just cut it down to a maximum of 24 characters.
    Did your app originally have "free" in its name or did you add it later in an update?
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 508Registered Users @ @ @
    i just got this too. my app has IAP, and i can't call it free. which kind of makes sense.
    I guess if my app only has ads then maybe i can call it free.
    sparkso wrote: »
    i just got this too. my app has IAP, and i can't call it free. which kind of makes sense.
    I guess if my app only has ads then maybe i can call it free.

Nope, at least not based on what's happening on this thread. "FREE" is now a forbidden word, regardless of how you monetize the app.
    Was free in your Bundle ID, Sparkso?
    From my discussion with support it only applies to your app's title. <anything> Free is no longer allowed.
    There are tons of examples updated since this discussion began that show that isn't always the case.
    iekei wrote: »
    Was free in your Bundle ID, Sparkso?

you mean the com.company.appnamefree?
    I was just thinking about this the other day: as an app store user, when i look for apps these days, i don't enter "free" as part of the search term anymore.
    I remember when app store first came out, i search "free torch" , "free whatever", but not anymore.