Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple deleted my app

After my app has been live for over three years without any problems and in the top charts, out of the blue apple decided to remove my app from the store. The app helps people get Twitter Followers and there are dozens of similar apps still live in the app store. Why did Apple just pick my app out of the blue and what could I do to get it back live?

Below is what Apple sent me.

Upon re-evaluation, we found that your app is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.
Legal - 5.2.2
Your app contains content or features that may violate the rights of one or more third parties. Specifically, your app allows for third-party social media alterations without authorization from the relevant third parties.
For this reason, your app will be removed from sale on the App Store at this time.

Replies

• Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 262Registered Users @ @
    edited February 26
    Wow yea, I tried googling but didnt find any news on this topic but it seems Apple deleted ALL apps that handled in Twitter Followers, Likes and such. There are a few live but they dont work at all. Had some of these for fun but when I checked last week all were missing from the app store.

My random guess would be that Twitters new rules about how fake news gets popular by a ton of likes and shares or maybe those leaks in the secure web links, who knows.

ps. still tons of similar apps for Instagram alive and well
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • Adrian2023Adrian2023 Posts: 5New Users Noob
    Well my Instagram apps just got pulled too! I know I can't be the only developer that was making money and concerned about this.
    Seems that Twitter and Instagram changed their API rules. Most apps got revoked and just taken down by Apple when they were no longer working.

“Instagram made a important platform policy change regarding 3rd party API,” the app’s release notes read. “From June 2016, they disallow 3rd party apps to browsing Instagram photos for general use. Unfortunately, our app is not a exception and will stop working on the 1st of June.”
    We are aware of Instagram and Twitter API changes and worked around it. Our app still works fine and was updated weekly. This came from Apple, not related to the API.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 546Registered Users @ @ @
    Weekly?
    edited March 1
    Adrian2023 wrote: »
    We are aware of Instagram and Twitter API changes and worked around it. Our app still works fine and was updated weekly. This came from Apple, not related to the API.

Did you try just straight up asking Apple ? I loved those apps and want them back, some are gone from the purchases tab.

Twitter seems to be on a crackdown of sorts, third party API use, users, behavior...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/01/twitter-app-muting-features-eggs-keywords/
  • dobrydobry Posts: 287Registered Users @ @
    edited March 1
    So Instagram and Twitter do what Facebook did. Since May 2015 third party apps do not get list of a all users friends anymore (they get only those who are also using the app). So most apps Facebook functionality got useless. Also, Facebook does not deliver friends birthdays anymore (additionally bad for my birthday reminder app).
    So these 3 companies became more popular by third party apps. Now as they are popular enough, they don't need this help anymore. They force users to use their own apps to get ad revenue there.
    Adrian2023 wrote: »

Did you try just straight up asking Apple ? I loved those apps and want them back, some are gone from the purchases tab.

Twitter seems to be on a crackdown of sorts, third party API use, users, behavior...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/01/twitter-app-muting-features-eggs-keywords/

I told Apple that I'm not violating any of the networks tos or changing their api in a way that is against their terms. Below is the response I got...

======
    Hello,
    Thank you for your response. The app facilitates third-party social media alterations without explicit authorization from the third party social network (Twitter). Usage of a third party API does not constitute explicit authorization.
    Best regards,
    App Store Review
    ======

It seems like Apple is behind this, not Twitter or Instagram. So in order for my app to be approved, it seems like we have to provide Apple proof that Twitter allows my app? Isn't that what the Twitter API terms for?
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 21New Users @
    So how did it end up? Did they approve your app finally?
    No, still removed.