Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

30 day removal notice

angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 260New Users @ @
Today I got a 30 day removal email from Apple. Apparently I have not updated an app in some time.

Yes, so what should I do, recompile the exact same source code and upload again, why?

Why not just re-check the existing app.

Arrhhhhgghhh

Replies

  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 387New Users @ @
    You'll have to at least rebuild it with a different version number. If it's been three years since the last time you build it, there may be a lot of things that are deprecated now that need to be updated. But yeah, the changes needed are minimal.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 10
    angelapps wrote: »
    Today I got a 30 day removal email from Apple. Apparently I have not updated an app in some time.

    Yes, so what should I do, recompile the exact same source code and upload again, why?

    Why not just re-check the existing app.

    Arrhhhhgghhh

    I have been getting a bunch of those too. Ignored most of them, as the apps no longer sell. So Apple removed them from the store. I posed the same question as yours a few months ago, and got no replies.

    Now, in the trenches, making changes to the apps that are still selling, the big change that you will have to address are Privacy permissions. This started with iOS10... and I suspect is why Apple is kicking back all old apps for an update. Other than privacy, the apps run fine, and exhibit no problems running iOS 9 or lower.

    Privacy Permissions = PITA.

    For example... Email problems, Photo Library problems, etc... the app will no longer run without the required Privacy settings.

  • id256id256 Posts: 73New Users @
    There had been so much noise about obsolete apps removal, but it seems the whole picture didn't change much...
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 508Registered Users @ @ @
    it seems that the apps that I had been asked to update are the ones that did not support 64-bit architecture .
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    I wonder if there have been any apps that were popular, that is had daily sales, and yet still were removed when the only issue was that they hadn't been updated in a long time.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    I wonder if there have been any apps that were popular, that is had daily sales, and yet still were removed when the only issue was that they hadn't been updated in a long time.

    I would assume the answer is Yes. Apple wants conformity.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    The reason I asked is because the last time I looked there were still apps in the store that were built for iOS 3.0 and hadn't been updated in more than five years.
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 260New Users @ @
    My app uses no permissions, no Internet, no camera, no storage access, nothing. Its just a timer. A new build will be identical because I will be using the same SDK. Seems just a waste of time.

    The next time I build it I will make 3 versions all with different version numbers ready for next time!!!
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    angelapps wrote: »
    My app uses no permissions, no Internet, no camera, no storage access, nothing. Its just a timer. A new build will be identical because I will be using the same SDK. Seems just a waste of time.

    The next time I build it I will make 3 versions all with different version numbers ready for next time!!!

    It's easier for the *ssholes at Apple to kick back all apps for an update, rather then tell you EXACTLY where the app fails the review test.

    That's been my biggest complaint.

    None of the letters state, what review rule the app violates. In a normal review they do tell you that.

  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    When was your last update, Angelapps?
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 260New Users @ @
    2 years 4 months ago
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 24New Users @
    Had the same issue, my app was old and hasn't been sold anymore, so they removed it. Not a big deal tho
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 97New Users @
    Not sure what logic they are using to decide, as there are many applications which are not updated for more than 3 years...
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    My guess is that it's calculated with a formula that includes the date of the last update and the amount of recent downloads.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 272Registered Users @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    My guess is that it's calculated with a formula that includes the date of the last update and the amount of recent downloads.

    Crash analytics, I guess old apps crash more now as they update.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    I had one pulled that had no crashes.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Here's that light at the end of the tunnel... the reason why Apple is killing all our old apps and kicking them back for a 30 day update.

    Apple wants all apps to be 64 Bit. 32 Bit legacy apps are being phased out of the app store. And soon, will no longer work correctly or at all with later versions of iOS.

    The writing is on the wall.

    Update those old apps or get removed from the store.

    http://www.computerworld.com/article/3180951/apple-ios/apple-plans-murder-for-planet-of-the-apps.html
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 508Registered Users @ @ @
    sparkso wrote: »
    it seems that the apps that I had been asked to update are the ones that did not support 64-bit architecture .

    oh seems so then.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    It's still only a guess, that they borrowed from SensorTower, and it doesn't explain how the order was determined on apps removed so far.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 17
    iekei wrote: »
    It's still only a guess, that they borrowed from SensorTower, and it doesn't explain how the order was determined on apps removed so far.

    Does that really matter though? The writing is on the wall.

    Update if your app is still 32 Bit.

    Or risk having it no longer work moving forward.
    sparkso wrote: »
    it seems that the apps that I had been asked to update are the ones that did not support 64-bit architecture .

    Yep, you nailed it. :)
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,032Registered Users @ @ @ @
    How to check if my app is 32 bit or 64 bit?
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    Check your Xcode build settings. If you don't know how to do that, you might be able to figure it out from the date of your last update. arm64 was a submission requirement from Februrary 2015.
Sign In or Register to comment.