Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason why we're getting those "30 day removal notices".

dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
Here's that light at the end of the tunnel... the reason why Apple is killing all our old apps and kicking them back for a 30 day update.

Apple wants all apps to be 64 Bit. 32 Bit legacy apps are being phased out of the app store. And soon, will no longer work correctly or at all with later versions of iOS.

The writing is on the wall.

Update those old apps or get removed from the store.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3180951/apple-ios/apple-plans-murder-for-planet-of-the-apps.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/next-version-ios-could-kill-187-000-old-000146887.html
Post edited by dev666999 on

Replies

• astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 560New Users @ @ @
    That looks like a great excuse to re-release them with a different monetising model after Apple have given them the chop. Right now if you update them your app will probably never recover if you update it.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    astersdo wrote: »
    That looks like a great excuse to re-release them with a different monetising model after Apple have given them the chop. Right now if you update them your app will probably never recover if you update it.

Agreed. But unfortunately, we developers are between a Rock and a Hard Place. :(
    dev666999 wrote: »
    astersdo wrote: »

Agreed. But unfortunately, we developers are between a Rock and a Hard Place. :(

You ain't kiddin'.
  • KarlJayKarlJay Posts: 437Registered Users @ @
    That sucks because I was planning on releasing some new apps marketed to older devices. IMO, there is a sizable market for older iOS devices to have new apps. Things like home automation interfaces and the old iPT/iPhones can be found cheaper than a HD screen for a Rasp Pi project.
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 24New Users @
    KarlJay wrote: »
    That sucks because I was planning on releasing some new apps marketed to older devices. IMO, there is a sizable market for older iOS devices to have new apps. Things like home automation interfaces and the old iPT/iPhones can be found cheaper than a HD screen for a Rasp Pi project.

Agree, had same plans :/
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    It's surprising how many apps that were built for the iPhone 3 that are still in the store, eight years later.
  • smashingsmashing Posts: 289Registered Users @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    It's surprising how many apps that were built for the iPhone 3 that are still in the store, eight years later.

It is really a testament to backwards compatibility for the platform, something Windows Mobile lacks.
    Time Calculator+ the best time calculator in the world.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    Windows Mobile has less than a 1% market share, so backward compatibility probably isn't even on anyone's top ten list of issues that need fixing.
    edited May 5
    Windows Mobile ... what an incredible mess that was. They had huge market share 18 years ago but had no vision ... I remember when the consensus (not mine) was that touch screens were on the way out as people preferred physical buttons :) Still, it paid for a few Ferraris at the time ... my first app was $250 ... those were the days :)