Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where did everyone go to?

astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 518New Users @ @ @
This forum is so quiet compared to in the past. Where did everyone go to? Is there a forum somewhere else I don't know about? Hopefully you didn't all quit.

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @
    astersdo wrote: »
    This forum is so quiet compared to in the past. Where did everyone go to? Is there a forum somewhere else I don't know about? Hopefully you didn't all quit.

It's been really quiet for about 1-2 years now. The action here used to be fast and furious. There was an excitement to be a developer, in charge of your own business and destiny. Now, with so many apps and resultant lack of visibility, I think many developers have thrown in the towel, and have moved on to other things.

There are other boards where they discuss apps and programming. Just Google a programming problem and those boards show up. But the newness of it has worn off.

Time to look for the next big thing.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 518New Users @ @ @
    Do you think many moved to Android rather than quit completely?
    edited March 17
    astersdo wrote: »
    Do you think many moved to Android rather than quit completely?

That's hard to say. There were some developers, who having problems with Apple's overly strict gate keeping, moved over to Android.

And a lot of developers do both iOS and Android.

I tried Android. From a programming standpoint, I found it too Klutzy... so abandoned it after converting one of my apps.

Discovery and competition is more fierce in Android, although the gatekeeping is looser. Less money too from everything I have read.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Android.
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 615New Users @ @ @
    Me personally, I'm in between apps, might not do another app, not sure. I really enjoy this site though, it's been a big help and it's been nice being able to discuss the non technical side of things with people and vent some frustrations.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 518New Users @ @ @
    Android was horrendous for me. Horrible dev kit, low eCPMs, low conversion rates etc. It was as near as working for free. Having said all that, I may take a second look at some point.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 264Registered Users @ @
    When Apple removed that New Apps category, you dont get your 15 minutes of fame anymore. Sure took the fun out of it.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • id256id256 Posts: 65New Users @
    edited March 21
    When Apple removed that New Apps category, you dont get your 15 minutes of fame anymore. Sure took the fun out of it.

What are you talking about? I can see "New apps we love", "New games we love", "Indie game debuts" on the app store's main page...
    id256 wrote: »

What are you talking about? I can see "New apps we love", "New games we love", "Indie game debuts" on the app store's main page...

Yes, but those are cherry picked by Apple.

The old new releases would list each and every new app, given us all an equal chance at visibility.

That is now gone... and has been for a quite a while.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 264Registered Users @ @
    edited March 21
    id256 wrote: »

Thats done by editors, they select an X amount of games.

New apps had every single game that came out at a given time.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • id256id256 Posts: 65New Users @
    edited March 22
    Really? Wow, that should be nice... I thought, that the tough competition in the "New Apps" was there for ages.
    Post edited by id256 on
  • KarlJayKarlJay Posts: 435Registered Users @ @
    What we are most likely seeing is the free market at work. The app stores became a rapid race to the bottom as apps went from simple apps making money to a flood of work-alike clones and more spam than an email server.

At least two primary factors at play here, 1) the cost of creating a modern app 2) the return on that investment. 1 is about the time to learn all the new things. I've been here for some 6~8 years, look at the changes over that time. Huge changes in what high end apps are expected to do and the amount of knowledge a dev has to have.
    2 is the flooded app stores, Apple not doing much about cloned/knocked off apps (CRApps).

Apple is actually doing us a favor by making the rules strict, who want's more CRApps?

64% of the users download ZERO apps in a month. That's a clue right there. The app store is a grave yard of dreams.

Microsoft proved decades ago that it's NOT about the software, it's about the marketing of the software. That's very true with the app store as the store itself is NOT a store at all. It's a distribution system that charges 30%.

Consider: If Apple allowed you to have your app downloaded direct from your own site, would you make more or less sales?

Imagine having a choice, sell your app on Apples app store and/or sell it yourself and keep the 30%.

That 30% could go towards marketing and be much more effective than what Apple does to 'earn' their 30% cut of the product you made.

It would be different if the app store was worth a dam, but given that it's a ghost town, it's clearly not working.

The good news: After the weak go away, the strong can come in and take over. The strong can dump certain models that were forced upon us. Maybe free with ads can be scrapped or the ads can go back to non-intrusive. We can force the ad buyers to either pay for non-intrusive ads or run their ads on CRApps.

Just like eBay/CL and other markets, we control this. Let the weak die off, it's for the better, all they did was spam up the app store.

Let Apple restrict the apps and let the better apps take over. It'll become more and more expensive to develop apps and we'll see the weak apps go to the grave yard where they belong.
  • KarlJayKarlJay Posts: 435Registered Users @ @
    One other note: I know a number of people were on the MacRumors site as well. They have a programming section and started a app business forum as well.

Last I saw, they dropped the app business stuff and the programming forum looks like a ghost town. Its been noob questions and few if any meaningful answers for quite a while.

I've joined the iosprogramming reddit sub, but they don't really offer anything about the app business side and the programming Q&A is pretty limited.

I think SO and a few other sites have really taken the job that used to be done by others.