Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Apple's new framework in 10.3 to ask for reviews?

iOS10.3 added SKStoreReviewController which allows developers to ask for ratings /reviews within the app (https://developer.apple.com/app-store/ratings-and-reviews/).

It looks good except for one catch: it can only be shown 3 times in a year. I'm a little confused about this, I'm wondering if it will only show 3 times if the user leaves a rating, or 3 times even if they tap the "cancel" button? If it's the latter, 3 times isn't very much :(

Replies

• astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 546 @ @ @
    Is there any advantage in using it? I realise they will enforce it at some point, but until then ...
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 627 @ @ @
    astersdo wrote: »
    Is there any advantage in using it? I realise they will enforce it at some point, but until then ...

Yes, people can pretty easily leave a rating / review without having to leave the app. I kind of want to do it, but 3 times is pretty greatly limiting.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 494 @ @
    yeah wtf is with that 3 times a year
    It's 3 times a year regardless of the number of times your update your app too.
    I went ahead and put it in. I figure, the fact that they can rate your app with one tap rather than having to go through all the trouble of leaving the app should make a big difference. I was having a ton of people push "yes" on my dialogue but wasn't getting close to that many reviews.
    CoDEFRo wrote: »
    I went ahead and put it in. I figure, the fact that they can rate your app with one tap rather than having to go through all the trouble of leaving the app should make a big difference. I was having a ton of people push "yes" on my dialogue but wasn't getting close to that many reviews.

Will it show up in earlier versions of iOS eg IOS8 or do you have to limit to 10.3?

Will it show up in earlier versions of iOS eg IOS8 or do you have to limit to 10.3?

Limited to 10.3+.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559 @ @ @
    And it can be zero times a year if the user shuts it off.
    iekei wrote: »

I think eventually we're going to be forced to use this, will be illegal to use custom code.

I think eventually we're going to be forced to use this, will be illegal to use custom code.

For sure :(
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 144 @ @
    edited April 11

and people will quickly figure out it is a setting in preferences to turn it off, and 99.999% of people will turn it off upon the first pop up. so really no real reviews when it is mandatory, further destroying the review system, not that it works at all now.

silly really, what Apple should be doing is offering some sort of incentive for a thought out honest review with that pop up. (what that incentive might be would have to be crafted carefully)

worst part, someone else's app will cause the user to turn off the entire system, so your app has zero chance... great how that is going to work...
    edited April 17
    Update:

So far I've had good results with this. I've gotten more good reviews at a quicker pace, albeit most of them are ratings and not written reviews. Pretty good considering not even close to everyone has update to 10.3.
    That's interesting. I think I will try it.
    Don't written reviews count far more than just ratings? Won't this give you a lower ranking in the long term? I think a written 5 star review is worth far more than just a 5 star rating?
    edited April 23
    Don't written reviews count far more than just ratings? Won't this give you a lower ranking in the long term? I think a written 5 star review is worth far more than just a 5 star rating?

I think the most important thing is users who are scrolling through a list of apps quickly see your star rating and number of reviews.

My rating rate has gone through the roof since implementing this framework, but I also did make another change in waiting 5x longer before asking for a review (I think that just helped cut down on negative reviews though).

I also presented the review dialogue again for people who had said no previously, so maybe that's had an effect too (though I had done that previously and it hadn't generated such an effect).

Even despite these changes, I still think the new framework is clearly having a major effect in increasing my positive ratings. So far though it hasn't had an impact on downloads. It might have had an impact on purchase rate, but that also could've been impacted by a major bug fix I made. Maybe as I accumulate more reviews it will have a better impact on downloads, I'm still under 30.
    edited April 26
    So I'm getting ratings out the wazoo and my star rating has increased a lot. However, all of this has had no impact on anything so far. My purchase percentage has gone pretty far up, but this was happening immediately so I don't think it's because of the reviews -- it probably more has to do with the fact that the magical download fairy decided to dock my app 100-150 downloads a day just for updating and my paid app dropped a ton. In looking at app analytics, my impressions / visibility in the app store dropped A LOT. Moral of this story: DON'T RISK IMPROVING YOUR APP FOR YOUR USERS. DON'T UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • id256id256 Posts: 69 @
    @CoDEFRo Does an update really affect the number of impressions in case you haven't got any reviews for the current version? If so, how long does it take to recover?
    edited April 26
    id256 wrote: »
    @CoDEFRo Does an update really affect the number of impressions in case you haven't got any reviews for the current version? If so, how long does it take to recover?

This doesn't have anything to do with reviews. When I usually update, my downloads never drop this drastically because of lack of reviews. Random algorithm change, I didn't change anything about my meta data.

Love getting punished for good changes. The major bug I fixed was occurring on Force Touch devices (from which I don't have one and can't afford to buy one). And of course you still can't test Force Touch on the simulator.
    The new 10.3 feature has killed about 30% of my downloads. I think written reviews count more? I have more reviews than I had before, but only a tiny % are written. Maybe that is why.
    The new 10.3 feature has killed about 30% of my downloads. I think written reviews count more? I have more reviews than I had before, but only a tiny % are written. Maybe that is why.

Are you sure it's because of the reviews and not an algorithm change? When I submitted my update, i lost about 150 downloads right off the bat.
    edited May 1
    I've updated several times lately, and only had small drops. This change has brought a far bigger drop. But as always, never sure what it is.
    Post edited by astersdo on
    The problem now is there is no facility to report trolls except the "Report Concern" button. I've tried this a few times and nothing is ever done You don't even get a reply. Is there a better way of reporting offensive reviews?
    I've had some offensive reviews removed, quite quickly actually, and others that were violently offensive remain even after years.
    I've had some offensive reviews removed, quite quickly actually, and others that were violently offensive remain even after years.

Good to know the new button works then!
    It only half works, but it's better than nothing.