Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iTunes App Store Search Broken?

If you search for something, shouldn't it come back with the exact match first? i.e. if you search for "Video Player" and there is an app called "Video Player", I'd expect that to be the first result.

Replies

• anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 97 @
    Its not that simple unfortunately. Lots of developers have complained about it for a very long time now :(
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 546 @ @ @
    Wow, I didn't realise it was so knackered. It really should be that simple. I knew developers were complaining, but for it to not even be able to find an exact match ...
    I guess at least the EU has the powers to fix the search for them:
    https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/05/eu-legislation-make-app-stores-fair.html
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 559 @ @ @
    That app name is really generic. It's made up of two common keywords.
    edited May 13
    Yes, it is an example and intentionally so. If you search for something it is normal for the exact match to come first. If I had given the example of "Halibut Sandwich" you might not have understood the issue. Try searching for your exact app name. You might be lucky. Some of my apps do come first, but not all.
    It works on some of my apps, and doesn't work on others. The weird thing that I don't understand is that in one case, my app appears low in the results below apps which have absolutely no connection whatsoever with mine. There's nothing similar in the app names or function, and it's extremely unlikely that the higher ranking apps have my app name in their keywords.
    edited May 13
    They're trying to be clever, but just ending up with the crappiest of search algorithms. If it has no connection why are they engineering the search to put those before yours, because, you know what, they ARE engineering it that way. I think the EU will investigate. We need an honest app store that doesn't have curated chart positions or a rigged search. Either that or we need 3rd party app stores with transparency. It can't stay like this.
    edited May 13
    I don't know if it's intentional or not. One app of mine appeared in search results for terms that weren't in the app name or keywords.
    Given how long the app store has been around, and how many Apple employees work on it, it is definitely intentional. These are schoolboy errors. They do change the algorithm regularly tho' so there is hope ...
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 268 @ @
    If they sorted the results for "Video Player" then it would be like Facebook search where you have a million results that are 99% the same if you search for a generic name like "John Smith". Its a guarantee that you would never find the "John Smith" you need.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
    edited May 13
    If they sorted the results for "Video Player" then it would be like Facebook search where you have a million results that are 99% the same if you search for a generic name like "John Smith". Its a guarantee that you would never find the "John Smith" you need.

Yes, it was just an example to help explain the issue. But you'd expect "John Smith" to be first wouldn't you, even if there were lots of them? Right now if I search for "John Smith" I get "Sarah Williams" first.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 268 @ @
    astersdo wrote: »
    Yes, it was just an example to help explain the issue. But you'd expect "John Smith" to be first wouldn't you, even if there were lots of them? Right now if I search for "John Smith" I get "Sarah Williams" first.

Yep I get it, in a perfect search scenario you would be right but in real life there are just too many what ifs. Other apps that rank and show above the search term you look for are there because people that search for something end up installing that instead of the app that matches exactly by title.

If you get "Sarah Williams" above "John Smith" that means people select her even if they search "John Smith".

Its like when you enter "guy who played Iron Man" and you get "Robert Downey Jr" and not an app thats called "guy who played Iron Man".

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
    astersdo wrote: »

Yep I get it, in a perfect search scenario you would be right but in real life there are just too many what ifs. Other apps that rank and show above the search term you look for are there because people that search for something end up installing that instead of the app that matches exactly by title.

If you get "Sarah Williams" above "John Smith" that means people select her even if they search "John Smith".

Its like when you enter "guy who played Iron Man" and you get "Robert Downey Jr" and not an app thats called "guy who played Iron Man".

It's madness, but it does mean you can use it to your advantage ;)