Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good News and Bad News about the new app store changes.

raymngraymng Posts: 2,032Registered Users @ @ @ @
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/product-page/

Good News:
Your app’s rating includes ratings for all versions of your app. You have the option to reset your rating when you submit a new version of your app for review. Consider using this feature sparingly. While it can ensure that user ratings are only for the most current version of your app — useful if you just launched a major update that addresses users’ previous concerns — having few reviews can discourage customers from downloading your app.

>>It means new version won't reset the rating anymore.

Bad News:
The length of your app name is limited to 30 characters and will appear on the App Store for each device, including each version of iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.
Subtitles are limited to 30 characters and appear below your app’s name throughout the App Store. Using a subtitle to briefly summarize your app in a concise, compelling way can encourage visits to your product page and downloads. Avoid generic descriptions such as “world’s best app.” Instead, consider using your subtitle to highlight features or typical uses of your app that resonate with your audience.

>>App Name is further limited to 30 characters.
>>Hope the new App Subtitle is searchable, not sure now.

Replies

• Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 272Registered Users @ @
    Yea but are the Subtitles considered part of the app name, as in keywords ? The change would then be only visual and part of the app preview revamp.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    edited June 6
    As I was saying:

"One solution for this would be to move to a system where there's a short app name, a new 50 character or so length subtitle, and the normal keyword field. The new subtitle field may or may not be valid for searches. Long app names are truncated for search purposes. Human reviewers will still have to approve each field. There's no way around that."

http://iphonedevsdk.com/discussion/comment/502304/#Comment_502304
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 631New Users @ @ @
    I'm scared.
  • id256id256 Posts: 73New Users @
    edited June 6
    The bad news don't sound too bad. A lot of apps' titles are clearly divided into the title and subtitle parts and may already be handled by the engine appropriately, so the rankings may not be affected that dramatically.
    On the positive, now we get 60 characters of real estate instead of 50.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,032Registered Users @ @ @ @
    CoDEFRo wrote: »
    On the positive, now we get 60 characters of real estate instead of 50.

Still don't know whether the subtitle will be searchable or not...
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 565Registered Users @ @ @
    Whether it's searchable or not doesn't really matter once you know whether it's searchable or not.
  • savannasavanna Posts: 257New Users @ @
    edited June 7
    What do you all think about the layout changes? I think it will hurt discovery via browsing, it looks to be more exposure for a small number of apps while the rest get none.
  • smashingsmashing Posts: 289Registered Users @ @
    savanna wrote: »
    What do you all think about the layout changes? I think it will hurt discovery via browsing, it looks to be more exposure for a small number of apps while the rest get none.

It seems to be that what every layout "improvement" by Apple seems to do. Indies rely on Search. If the subtitle is given any search weight it could be beneficial.

Maybe the new App Store is in the Beta. I don't check beta releases, though. iTunes Connect only states that content within the new fields will be featured in the iOS 11 App Store only.
    Time Calculator+ the best time calculator in the world.
  • savannasavanna Posts: 257New Users @ @
    Discovery is still a massive problem. The fundamental problem is that most cannot afford to acquire a user via advertising for the amount they will earn from that user. Thats true for most apps, some games can do it with consumable IAP if they find 'whales', some apps can use subscriptions, but for the most part you cant squeeze enough out of a typical user who refuses to spend money on software. With search ads some are finding they have some success, but the volumes are too low to make a difference to their bottom line.

Therefore you have to rely on the app store finding you users for free. It remains to be seen if this update changes that for the better or worse, but I expect this change to be how the app store looks for the foreseeable future. It matches the music app, Schiller is behind it, so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

If this change makes discovery worse for those having to rely on the app store for users, this will be the final straw for the indies who have yet to throw in the towel. I hope it helps with that problem, but it looks to me like a lot of focus on a small number of apps. To be featured there is just a lottery, you cant base a business on that.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 560New Users @ @ @
    It's bad news surely. You will get less exposure.
    astersdo wrote: »

It depends on your current state. If you have nothing to lose, and most competitors do better, then reducing their exposure may be not so bad for you.
    id256 wrote: »

It depends on your current state. If you have nothing to lose, and most competitors do better, then reducing their exposure may be not so bad for you.

If you have nothing left to lose, do something else. The grief of developing for Apple just isn't worth it unless you are making serious money.
    Just tried it. Love it! Love the small videos that self play when doing a search.

If you have nothing left to lose, do something else. The grief of developing for Apple just isn't worth it unless you are making serious money.

Emm... I'm talking about apps, that are already ready for sale.

Yes, so am I, obviously. If your existing apps get less exposure in IOS11, and you aren't making much money as it is, why bother at all? But I've tried IOS11 now, and I think I will get more exposure. Fingers crossed.

Yes, so am I, obviously. If your existing apps get less exposure in IOS11, and you aren't making much money as it is, why bother at all? But I've tried IOS11 now, and I think I will get more exposure. Fingers crossed.

Why more?
    edited June 10
    raymng wrote: »

Why more?

Well, for one, my app looks much better in the search list.
    Post edited by astersdo on
    edited June 11
    Are we overstating the important of these lists and the other facets of the App Store other than search? I think when most people want to look for a specific type of app, they don't go to the home page to look through featured lists, they go directly to the search.
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 172New Users @ @
    edited June 12
    What does the introduction of subtitles and the new 30 char app title limit accomplish? Who does it benefit? What does the 3 reviews per year limit accomplish and who does it benefit?

Answer those questions for yourself and I think you will agree this is definitely not a good thing for individual developers.
    Post edited by dingleface on
    dingleface wrote: »
    What does the introduction of subtitles and the new 30 char app title limit accomplish? Who does it benefit? What does the 3 reviews per year limit accomplish and who does it benefit?

Answer those questions for yourself and I think you will agree this is definitely not a good thing for individual developers.

The 3 reviews per year limit? I never seen that, can you tell more?
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 172New Users @ @
    edited June 12
    1.1.7 App Store Reviews:
    - App Store customer reviews can be an integral part of the app experience, so you should treat customers with respect when responding to their comments. Keep your responses targeted to the user’s comments and do not include personal information, spam, or marketing in your response.
    - Use the provided API to prompt users to review your app; this functionality allows customers to provide an App Store rating and review without the inconvenience of leaving your app, and we will disallow custom review prompts.

The new user interface includes the App Store's traditional 5-star rating system in a pop-up box, allowing users to enter their opinion of the app without needing to leave it and visit the App Store to submit a review, as was previously the case. In addition to Apple limiting these pop-up boxes to only appear three times per year, if a user actually submits a review for the app, the developer can never request an in-app pop-up review from that user again.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/09/ios-11-in-app-ratings/

dingleface wrote: »
    1.1.7 App Store Reviews:
    - App Store customer reviews can be an integral part of the app experience, so you should treat customers with respect when responding to their comments. Keep your responses targeted to the user’s comments and do not include personal information, spam, or marketing in your response.
    - Use the provided API to prompt users to review your app; this functionality allows customers to provide an App Store rating and review without the inconvenience of leaving your app, and we will disallow custom review prompts.

The new user interface includes the App Store's traditional 5-star rating system in a pop-up box, allowing users to enter their opinion of the app without needing to leave it and visit the App Store to submit a review, as was previously the case. In addition to Apple limiting these pop-up boxes to only appear three times per year, if a user actually submits a review for the app, the developer can never request an in-app pop-up review from that user again.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/09/ios-11-in-app-ratings/

Oh, thanks for the information!!
    The new rating framework is available already, and I've actually put it in my app and it's helped generate a ton of ratings (but not written reviews). I'm glad though they've added space for the user to write some feedback as these are helpful in getting downloads. You see that @astersdo ?
    CoDEFRo wrote: »
    The new rating framework is available already, and I've actually put it in my app and it's helped generate a ton of ratings (but not written reviews). I'm glad though they've added space for the user to write some feedback as these are helpful in getting downloads. You see that @astersdo ?

That's a fab improvement! Comments definitely help.