Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resetting App Store reviews

id256id256 Posts: 83New Users @
So far I didn't notice anything related to this new possibility in ITC. Is it going to be available when iOS11 is released to the public?
Post edited by id256 on

Replies

• TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 823Registered Users @ @ @
    Kinda sucks for all the people that just updated apps to be compliant with iOS 11. Are they saying we will have an option to show all reviews or just reset?
  • id256id256 Posts: 83New Users @
    Touchmint wrote: »
    Kinda sucks for all the people that just updated apps to be compliant with iOS 11. Are they saying we will have an option to show all reviews or just reset?

Yep, it should be possible to remove all reviews at once, but it looks like this feature is not live yet...
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 643New Users @ @ @
    id256 wrote: »

Yep, it should be possible to remove all reviews at once, but it looks like this feature is not live yet...

This is so annoying, I need to submit an update now to fix a problem. Why don't they just make it available now?
    edited September 16
    Looks like it's going to be available on the 19th.
    Looks like it's going to be available on the 19th.

Does it have to be done upon submission of a new version? Or can be changed at any time in iTunes Connect? Do you know? I have a feeling it's going to be the former.
    edited September 16
    CoDEFRo wrote: »
    Does it have to be done upon submission of a new version? Or can be changed at any time in iTunes Connect? Do you know? I have a feeling it's going to be the former.
    I think I read some time ago, that you are going to be asked while submitting a new version. I tried today, but there wasn't anything new yet.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 203Registered Users @ @
    I doubt it will come in till iOS 11 is actually released. So the 19th looks most likely, though could be later. I guess you will need to submit an app built with iOS 11 for it to work.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,046Registered Users @ @ @ @
    It seems still nothing, any updates?
    Hoping we find out something today. Looks like I still need to update 2 apps for 64bit but would like to keep the small amount of reviews I have.
    I did multiple updates earlier this morning and it's still not there. Maybe this is something that will appear at a later time.
    edited September 19
    Looks like It's already there. At the bottom of an app's version page, after automatic/manual release options.
    > @id256 said:
    > Looks like It's already there. At the bottom of an app's version page, after automatic/manual release options.

can confirm it’s now at the very bottom under phased release for auto updates.

I’m submitting with Xcode 8 as well so seems to be on the site side. This is good news for people who don’t update Xcode until it’s for sure stable.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,046Registered Users @ @ @ @
    > @id256 said:
    > Looks like It's already there. At the bottom of an app's version page, after automatic/manual release options.

can confirm it’s now at the very bottom under phased release for auto updates.

I’m submitting with Xcode 8 as well so seems to be on the site side. This is good news for people who don’t update Xcode until it’s for sure stable.

So 32-bit apps are really removed from the app store on IOS 11?
    > @raymng said:
    > Touchmint wrote: »
    >
    > > @id256 said:
    > > Looks like It's already there. At the bottom of an app's version page, after automatic/manual release options.
    >
    >
    > can confirm it’s now at the very bottom under phased release for auto updates.
    >
    > I’m submitting with Xcode 8 as well so seems to be on the site side. This is good news for people who don’t update Xcode until it’s for sure stable.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So 32-bit apps are really removed from the app store on IOS 11?

Yea they are and some of them didn’t even give warnings when opened so up until today I had no idea I had 2 apps removed. The rest of my 32bit gave warnings when opened these never did until today they were off the store. :/
    edited September 20
    However, it seems that only app's summary rating is going to be reset. 'Your app’s existing customer reviews will still appear on the App Store.' So the feature turns out to be not that useful, unfortunately.
    edited September 25
    This is as expected. They never said anything about removing reviews (which may not be too popular with reviewers), but resetting the ratings.

From what I have seen from apps which have already been updated for iOS 11, it looks like if you choose to keep your ratings, it keeps the ratings from the 'current' version of your app (i.e. not the ratings since the app was released). So the ratings can effectively 'roll over' from one release to the next.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    So if you have a one star written review for a feature that you fixed, the bad review stays after an update?
    astersdo wrote: »
    So if you have a one star written review for a feature that you fixed, the bad review stays after an update?

Yes, unfortunately.
    astersdo wrote: »

Yes, unfortunately.
    That seems a bit clueless. Am I missing something?
    It makes sense really. If a user spent 30 mins writing an in-depth review only to find it deleted the next day then they would probably not be best pleased. Given that developers can now respond to reviews, this in combination with resetting the ratings should be sufficient to deal with dodgy releases.
    edited September 26
    Post edited by astersdo on
    edited September 26
    bellissimo wrote: »
    It makes sense really. If a user spent 30 mins writing an in-depth review only to find it deleted the next day then they would probably not be best pleased. Given that developers can now respond to reviews, this in combination with resetting the ratings should be sufficient to deal with dodgy releases.

In my experience, most of the negative reviews are written with minimum efforts, and are misleading. For example, if there is a bug, which is specific for some devices (let's say 5.5" iPhones), you can easily get a review like "Do not buy. Can't get it to work. Runs extremely slowly" (plus smileys and spelling errors here and there). The only hope is that after you've fixed the problem and wrote a reply, the future consumers will pay attention to it.
    Well if people are bothering to actually read reviews (which I doubt most would bother with for free apps at least, they would just look at the ratings summary), then I expect they would also read the response to reviews. If I read that an issue had now been fixed in a later version then I would ignore that negative review, and probably be mildly impressed that the dev had actually responded.