Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A lot of downloads from China

sparksosparkso Posts: 519Registered Users @ @ @
Not sure about you guys, but recently i am seeing a lot of downloads from China for all my apps.
They make up more than 50% of my downloads now. Very weird, and the download numbers are pretty consitent across these apps. 128 downloads per app around.

Replies

• dobrydobry Posts: 293Registered Users @ @
    Same for me since 18th of August. Their downloads make about 70% of all my apps. However free apps, they almost don't buy upgrades. I only earn about $1 per 1000 downloads from China.
  • tmongytmongy Posts: 87New Users @
    Same here, I'm not sure what's going on. But I noticed they download but don't open the app, so I don't get an increase in sessions at all.

I suspect it is some sort of fraudulent activity to manipulate rankings for other apps, they just download some other random apps to make it seem like they are legit users.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 601New Users @ @ @
    Might it be a way to manipulate Apple's search algorithm? If you search for app A but install app B then I think app B jumps app A for the search term even if app A is a better match for the search term.
  • RodoxydRodoxyd FrancePosts: 13New Users *
    Same here. Got 30 to 90 downloads from China per day since 18th of August. Looking analytics, it was 0~1/day before 29th of may, 1~8/day between 29th the may and 18th of August. And apps are not opened too. Bots for sure, but for what purpose ?
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 100New Users @ @
    Yeah and it is messing up all the numbers. These are most probably bots as did not see any activities from these downloads.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 145New Users @ @
    yes same thing here, always free apps, (now that I have free apps) they don't even look at the app page, had 100 views in app store and not from china I imagine, 800 downloads... and zero openings of the app, they are trying to drown some other app, or some how boost something else, I can not figure out what it is they are trying to accomplish. It would only effect a china app store ranking, one would think. not sure if I should just turn everything off for china.. doesn't seem like any one actually exists over there that actually uses an app store for intended purposes, anything on the internet must be pirated or full of spyware before the techno savvy in china are happy.

most likely they are trying to figure out how to break the real app store, and doing every experiment under the sun on 100's of apps to get good statistics, although only for free apps... what could they be doing?
  • kbmmankbmman Posts: 8New Users Noob
    We are seeing exactly the same thing. Downloads went from 10-20 per day in China to around 70 from 18th of August. This happened for all our free apps. And none of them were opened.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 519Registered Users @ @ @
    kbmman wrote: »
    We are seeing exactly the same thing. Downloads went from 10-20 per day in China to around 70 from 18th of August. This happened for all our free apps. And none of them were opened.

what analytics are you guys using to check app opens? If it's firebase it won't work, so are many other analytic services.
  • kbmmankbmman Posts: 8New Users Noob
    sparkso wrote: »
    what analytics are you guys using to check app opens? If it's firebase it won't work, so are many other analytic services.
    App Analytics in iTunes Connect. Only sessions from opt-in users are registered (around 20%), but the pattern is clearly very different between China and other countries.

• astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 601New Users @ @ @
    You should all contact Apple. They will of course tell you everything is okay, but that isn't to say that that is what they really think, and maybe they will do something about it.